Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jul 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

is onsite really that expensive?!?!

planning on going twice next year. sometime in march/april just us, and end of sept/early oct with friends in a villa. have been many times, but never onsite

the plan was to either get an annual pass up front, or a 14 day ultimate and then upgrade there...

so i was looking at prices for the march/april trip... the idea was 5-7 nights onsite with "free" DDP and then the second week or so in our mates villa.

but a cursory glance on disneyholidays.co.uk and for five nights for two people in wilderness lodge (the cheapest that did free ddp plus $100 giftcard) you are looking at 2,908.00 inc 14 day tickets or 3,198.00 for deluxe dining plan. but even without tickets and deluxe DDP, youre still looking at £400 a night for a hotel. that seems a little high to me...

is this normal? that sort of money is usually how much two whole weeks would cost us (including flights, car hire, etc). i've not looked at onsite stuff before, and it seems a little high. i know they put the prices up recently and inflation and the weak pound arent helping either... but wow!

am i doing it wrong? should i ditch the DDP altogether (i was planning on just doing a few of the nicer/signature restaurants for as much as possible) by saving up credits. should i just do 2 weeks in a villa, and a couple of meals at cali grill/v&a/contemporary/wherever?

can anyone find me a reasonable deal with flights from ema/man/bhx for 2 weeks (give or take a day or two) sometime in march (or early april - any time that isnt school holidays!) with the first 5-7 nights onsite? or just a decent deal on the hotel part, and ill sort out flights/tickets separately. am i searching during US school holidays or something?

argh!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

March/April is one of most expensive times of year to go, plus deluxe DDP also a big cost so your price is accurate bearing these two factors in mind!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Redriva
Imagineer

look at a moderate resort with the cost of upgrading the free QSDP to the full DDP ... we have found that a fair bit less on a few occasions
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
You probably don’t want deluxe dining plan. That gives you three table service credits a day. Look at the regular dining plan and maybe price up a moderate to see how it compares.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

My guess is that there aren't any standard view rooms available for your dates and that will be pushing the price up considerably.

Maybe a moderate would work better and you could upgrade the dining plan?

kellsbells is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
March/April is one of most expensive times of year to go, plus deluxe DDP also a big cost so your price is accurate bearing these two factors in mind!
it is? i'm surprised! we thought then would be good as it would be cheap!

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
You probably don’t want deluxe dining plan. That gives you three table service credits a day. Look at the regular dining plan and maybe price up a moderate to see how it compares.
but arent the good restaurants all 2TS credits each (or more?) i just want to eat in the *good* restaurants as much as possible, having standard DDP would mean having to save up the 5 TS credits from the whole stay to get 2 meals in 5 days

ok, so 5 nights in Coronado Springs with 14 day tickets and upgrade deluxe ddp comes in at £2,348.00. this is a bit more like it. £300 a night excluding tickets. still seems a little high, but a bit less of a shock...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Susethomasx
Excited about Disney

Mobile

but arent the good restaurants all 2TS credits each (or more?) i just want to eat in the *good* restaurants as much as possible, having standard DDP would mean having to save up the 5 TS credits from the whole stay to get 2 meals in 5 days

Not necessarily. The signature restaurants all are 2 TS credits (and the HDD and SOA dinner shows) with all other TS restaurants only 1TS. The signature restaurants are in the main, very nice indeed but very very expensive.

However you’d be totally wrong to discount all the 1 TS places by assuming that they’re not *good* as you put it.

You can get an excellent meal in the following restaurants (IMO obviously) for 1 TS credit pp:

Ale and Compass
Homecomin
Grand Floridian Cafe
Trattoria Al Forno
Boma
Sanaa
The Wave... of American Flavours
Coral Reef
Garden Grill
Via Napoli
Tepoan Edo and many more.
Susethomasx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Fancealot
Getting Excited

TBH staying on property IS expensive no matter which way you swing it, the fact you're using the free QSDP means you are paying 'rack rate' for the rooms, i've heard that sometimes room discounts are available without the dining plan but then you can pay for the plan you want as an extra which sometimes works out cheaper.
Old 30 Jul 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Just come back from 10 nights at Coronado and I reckon it was a bargain. It was £192 per night for 3 of us but that included all of our food and drink and also free parking (admittedly that will be unavailable next year but you can have free transport). Also got $100 gift card. So, if you say £20 for the parking and £8 per day for the gift card, that's about £55 per person full board accommodation.

Of course, I didn't upgrade to the DDP as we were happy with the QSDP
Old 30 Jul 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

We stayed at POR during Easter 2016 with $100, free parking and qsdp for 5 it worked out the room cost for 7 nights was around £300-400.

This time we are staying at CRB for 11 nights, 5 again, at a cost of £2000, take off food which is easily £30 per person per day for us 2 x £5 snacks each and £10 x 2 pp for lunch and dinner at worst = £1,650, parking I believe is now $22 x 10 = $220 and we have a $200 gift card. It works out well I think but we are a full room and I believe parking will no longer be included next year.

As the above said free parking is out next year bus there will still be free transport, with the skyliner I think I'd be happy to have no car during our onsite portion.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List