Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Aug 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
bringhomeasword
Looking for my Ears

First time flying with Virgin - daft questions!

Hello

My upcoming Nov/Dec trip will be my first time flying with Virgin and I've got a few questions I'm hoping some kind Dibb members may be able to help out with - though I apologise in advance as I'm sure they're just me being a bit daft!

Firstly - We have booked the package directly with Disney. This is my first time booking flights through Disney as generally we book before the flights are released and book flights separately. Anyway, on my Disney booking I can see the flights are Virgin and the times etc, but I can't see a separate reference number to log on to the Virgin site with to be able to book our seats and the Virgin site doesn't recognise my Disney booking reference (didn't think it would but wanted to try just to be sure!) Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm travelling with my gran and she gets herself worked up about really (imo!) small things like where she's sitting on the plane.

Secondly - I can see on the Virgin site that there's a Disney Springs check in - is this available for international flights? I'm presuming it is and we can bank on doing this on our last day for convenience, but aware that the Magical Express luggage service is only available for domestic flights so looking for some confirmation before I start thinking this is a given lol!

Lastly - We are looking to book at least 1 extra case on the way back - I can see it's $100 per extra bag per person but it says add it on during online check in. If I can reserve the seats for our return flight our intention would be to use the Disney Springs check in (if it is available for international flights!) on our last morning to save us carrying our suitcases around the airport etc. If we are using that service can we just turn up and announce we want to check an extra bag and pay for it there or is there any way to book it before we go?

Thank you in advance for your help and wisdom!
bringhomeasword is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Can't help with the flight reference but I can confirm that the Disney springs check-in can be used for your flight and you can pay for an extra bag there. We did this last year.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Just to mention that unless you booked with virgin holidays, flying upper class or a gold flying club it is $10 per person to use Disney springs check in. Cashless now

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
uktigg
Very Serious Dibber

The general concensus seems to be though, if you are staying onsite, and don't have a car, then don't use DS checkin.

Obviously, checkin online the day before, but leave your luggage with bell services at your resort, and when you return for the Magical express, pickup your luggage and jump on the coach for the airport.

(the luggage service you refer to is having your luggage collected and sent through to your destination airport without you seeing it at MCO, and yes, this is domestic only. For any international flights, you take your luggage on the coach with you and check it in at MCO as you would normally.)

From reports, it's more hastle getting to DS than it's worth as you would have to get a taxi as disney transport will not carry luggage on the buses.

Edited at 01:23 PM.
uktigg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Apologies for jumping on this thread a bit...we are also flying Virgin for the first time in Sept . I can't see anywhere to put the API in the booking, is this just done at check in?
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
uktigg
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by CarsonMac View Post
Apologies for jumping on this thread a bit...we are also flying Virgin for the first time in Sept . I can't see anywhere to put the API in the booking, is this just done at check in?
Api is either at online checkin at t-24 or the airport if you don't do olci.
Old 2 Aug 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

You could use Disney Springs to do the check in if you book a taxi /Lyft/Uber because you can’t take luggage on any Disney bus except for DME. Most buses tend to become regular from Disney Springs around lunch time so you may be able to do a little park hopping if your flight home is much later in the day. Just remember to be at your resort in plenty of time to board the DME bus which they will notify you about a day or two earlier than your departure date. Just make sure everything is out of your room and remember you can leave your luggage with Bell Services until your coach arrives just remember to tip them a few dollars for keeping them safe and secure for you.
You can use a carry on bag 50x30x20 cms for anything above your luggage limit for free and I think still be able to take a personal item like a backpack or handbag you would usually use on a daily basis. Check the blurb on the VA site to confirm it though.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.

Edited at 01:25 PM.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bringhomeasword
Looking for my Ears

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
Can't help with the flight reference but I can confirm that the Disney springs check-in can be used for your flight and you can pay for an extra bag there. We did this last year.
Perfect - thank you so much!
bringhomeasword is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
bringhomeasword
Looking for my Ears

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
Just to mention that unless you booked with virgin holidays, flying upper class or a gold flying club it is $10 per person to use Disney springs check in. Cashless now
I noticed that but I thought it would be worth $10 each just to be able to avoid the logistics of getting 4 cases from the Magical Express to the check in - when I went a few years ago with my then partner we had 3 cases and 4 pieces of hand luggage between 2 of us so we paid $5 each for a luggage trolley and then had to push them for what seemed miles to the British Airways check in desk we were going to on that trip!

Not sure if it really was as far as I remember but tbh between $10 for the luggage trolleys and tipping at POFQ for them to hold our luggage we probably spent the same money anyway, and really what's $20 by the time you've spent 2 weeks spending that on a couple of drinks and a packet of crisps each day lol!
Old 2 Aug 19, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
bringhomeasword
Looking for my Ears

Originally Posted by wifey View Post
You could use Disney Springs to do the check in if you book a taxi /Lyft/Uber because you can’t take luggage on any Disney bus except for DME. Most buses tend to become regular from Disney Springs around lunch time so you may be able to do a little park hopping if your flight home is much later in the day. Just remember to be at your resort in plenty of time to board the DME bus which they will notify you about a day or two earlier than your departure date. Just make sure everything is out of your room and remember you can leave your luggage with Bell Services until your coach arrives just remember to tip them a few dollars for keeping them safe and secure for you.
You can use a carry on bag 50x30x20 cms for anything above your luggage limit for free and I think still be able to take a personal item like a backpack or handbag you would usually use on a daily basis. Check the blurb on the VA site to confirm it though.

Yeah if we go ahead with it we'll definitely take a Lyft Minnie Van to DS that morning - part of me is very keen to do it because I've always taken the buses and never used the Minnie Van service before haha!