Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Oct 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We all like universal but no longer find it value for money. We stay onsite for 2 nights with express passes and pretty much get it all done in 3 days. By the time you add tickets, hotel with express passes, and food you’re looking at £2k or more for 2/3 days. If you’ve not been before then it’s worth a visit, but for us, I’m not sure when we will be back there.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
In my opinion, no. If it weren’t for HP bits we’d have been really gutted we spent the money on the tickets. IMO the rest of the park is pretty naff
Hmm could you please elaborate? We are not HP fans and are contemplating a first short visit to Universal next year. I'm not drawn to it at all, but this will be our second trip to Orlando and I feel like perhaps we should?
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
Id rather do universal than disney tbh. And im not a hairy potter van
Vroom vroom
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

In my opinion, no. If it weren’t for HP bits we’d have been really gutted we spent the money on the tickets. IMO the rest of the park is pretty naff
100% agree. The HP bits are the only well themed parts. The rest is underwhelming.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YLL View Post
100% agree. The HP bits are the only well themed parts. The rest is underwhelming.
I agree too. We are huge HP fans so we go to Universal but I don’t think I would be that bothered if we were not into the HP. For us it is not only a small part of the parks, we would spend at least 50% of our time in the HP lands.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Although there are hp lands which are immersive, the rest of the lands are more about geography than any really immersive theming but there is some distinction between the theming of the main areas. It is more a collection of rides. A lot of the rides are simulator rides which personally I don't get on so well with but there are also a few good physical coasters too.

I think if you are looking for something different to Disney then it is worth a go. But I agree that it does depend on timings. If height of summer my preference would be to stay onsite and have the express pass experience and do everything in a couple of days. But this adds considerably to the cost. It's not so bad when we divide the cost of the room by 5, but by 2 may seem less value.

City walk is nice though for a night out and you could go there without going to the universal parks if you wished.

If you are into big coasters and sealife (and are happy with SeaWorld ethos) then either a SW/BG/AQ ticket or a DC ultimate may actually be a good shout.

Lots of free national parks too. And ksc etc. Sorry, wandered off the point a bit 😁
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lily8 View Post
Hmm could you please elaborate? We are not HP fans and are contemplating a first short visit to Universal next year. I'm not drawn to it at all, but this will be our second trip to Orlando and I feel like perhaps we should?
I just found the rest of the rides were so samey. How many average 3D simulator rides can they get into two parks! It's such a shame as they used to have a selection of real classics and they have replaced them all with, in my opinion, very mediocre rides.

We spent most of our time in the HP lands, which are hands down absolutely excellent (and the Hagrid coaster the best rollercoaster i have ever been on). They really do make Universal for me. I just find it a shame that Disney didn't get the HP franchise so I didn't have to fork out extra admission to go see it all

We didn't go to Volcano Bay which I hear is excellent, so we will probably want to try that next time. But the two Universal parks, very underwhelming for me. Not a patch on the variety and quality of rides at Disney.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
minshus
Excited about Disney

Our Annual passes have just lapsed, and we won't renew again. As many have already said the HP stuff is excellent, the rest is pretty average at best. Where do I start, Jimmy Kimmel, Kong and Fast & Furious are all terrible! and they are all newish rides.

4 or 5 years ago it was a good park for the cost, but now the tickets are through the roof, and for us as a family it just doesn't warrant the price any longer.
minshus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Yes, I would say Universal is worth a visit. The two main parks were worth a visit before they built the HP areas and are still worth a visit now. There are lots of great rides there and things to see. My favourite ride in Florida is the Spider-Man ride.

I actually think the theming throughout IOA (not just Hogsmeade) is excellent and easily as good as anything Disney had done prior to 2017.

Now, whether it's value for money given the current ticket prices is debatable. I think it is value for money, others might not. You could say the same with the Disney parks too.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

I just found the rest of the rides were so samey. How many average 3D simulator rides can they get into two parks! It's such a shame as they used to have a selection of real classics and they have replaced them all with, in my opinion, very mediocre rides.

We spent most of our time in the HP lands, which are hands down absolutely excellent (and the Hagrid coaster the best rollercoaster i have ever been on). They really do make Universal for me. I just find it a shame that Disney didn't get the HP franchise so I didn't have to fork out extra admission to go see it all

We didn't go to Volcano Bay which I hear is excellent, so we will probably want to try that next time. But the two Universal parks, very underwhelming for me. Not a patch on the variety and quality of rides at Disney.
Many thanks for this. Can you think of a comparable in a Disney park when you refer to an 'average 3D simulator ride'? I am asking because we quite like simulator rides so wondering perhaps Universal would be worth a visit for us after all...

It's the overall theming (with the exception of HP area) where it feels lacking for me - I watched some Tim Tracker videos and it all looks a little random. Volcano Bay does look beautiful, but my daughter is small for her age and quite timid so the Disney water parks were more than adequate for her.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List