Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Feb 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydream14
slightly serious Dibber

First timers 2019

Hi, I have lots of questions and need advice.

I am looking at booking Orlando for 2019. There is myself, DH, DD will be 11 and DS will be 8. Either Easter or August. Reading on other threads on here there are good and bad reasons for both months and I was wondering when people say about crowd controls is that just Disney parks or all the parks?

I don't want to do Disney parks but would like to do SeaWorld, Water Parks, Animal parks, Shopping Malls and beaches. Any advice?

Iv been looking at the Coco Key Hotel and Waterpark and wondered if anyone has stayed there?

Would we need car hire?

Also if we decide on Easter 2019 when would I be able to book. As I am finding a lot of the holiday companies aren't including Easter this year?

TIA
Laura
Old 11 Feb 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Hi I've been three times to Orlando so probably not as expert as some posters, we've stayed on I Drive every time. I think the reviews of Coco Key Hotel are not that great tbh, have a look at Rosen Plaza, it's really nice but still reasonable. We have been at Easter twice in 2013 and 2015, we didn't do the Disney parks either, but found getting to the parks for opening the days were really manageable, have a plan on the rides you want to hit first. The weather was gorgeous, which if you are going to the beach the weather in April would be preferable to the hot humid and rainy weather in Aug. We went to Universal, Seaworld, Aquatica, Busch, and MK for a one day visit. So I would vote Easter over August. We have booked to go the first two weeks of Aug this year as my daughter will be life guarding at a Universal hotel, but I'm dreading Aug to be honest, I said I'd never do it !
Old 11 Feb 17, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydream14
slightly serious Dibber

Hi Infinity, thank you for your reply.

I think I am most certain on Easter holidays

Will have a look at the reviews of the Coco Key, the water park drew me in I think the kids would love it.

Sounds like you did the parks that we are most interested in. Can you do Disney for just a day? I didn't think you could? How much was it roughly? Also would we need a car?

O wow your DD being a lifeguard, great excuse for you to go out there )
Old 11 Feb 17, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mjspin
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi,
We did a single day at MK last year. It was pretty expensive, certainly compared to the per day cost of a UK Ultimate ticket. I think it was suit £400 for the 5 of us. We made it a (very) long day and got our moneys worth.
As for when to go, we have always been in August. Yes, it is hot but if you are able to do the back end it becomes so quiet you hit the off peak season with crowd levels of 1 out of 10.
Mjspin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

We were originally booked to stay at coco key water park hotel until we read all the bad reviews, especially about that end of Idrive being outdated. Apparently the water park isn't much good either.

For the parks there are Busch gardens, seaworld, discovery cove and gator land that all have animals.

For water parks if you're not doing the Disney ones (blizzard beach and typhoon lagoon) then there is Aquatica and if you go in August there will be universal's Volcano bay too.

We are staying for a week at Rosen inn pointe and aren't using a car. We are using uber and free shuttles to access parks and attractions.

I'd say just have a look around on the park websites and maps and have a look at what you want to do and which parks and attractions and then decide whether a car is better or not.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

I ordered our one day Disney tickets from Undercover tourist. It was expensive really for four of us but I had to go to MK and have lunch at the then new Be Our Guest restaurant!😀 we were there from opening to closing lol
We have never drove, we used the I trolley and taxis. The Shopping outlets are fab 😀
Old 11 Feb 17, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneydream14
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you for all the information

I am looking at package holidays at the moment do you recommend them or do it yourself option? I just worry that when we're out there and if any problems arise we would have no one to help us?

Also when you land there do you get your car straight away?

How did you get to your hotel Infinity without a car?
Old 12 Feb 17, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

The first time we went I booked a package, second and third time I booked flights separately and booked hotels separately, we threw in a few nights at Universal in the middle of the holls. This year for August I've booked a package with Thomas Cook. There wasn't really much difference this time but I booked the package with a deposit instead of paying flights up front ! We got a taxi from the airport to the hotel, think it was $120 return.
Old 13 Feb 17, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Coco Key is great for kids Don't let some bad reviews put you off, we stayed there last year and going again this year. Admittedly the rooms aren't amazing, but all we do is sleep in them and the beds were fine. Ask for a room in the tower block if you do go, most of the complaints are from the motel style rooms near the pool area (if you are in one of those you wont get any sleep!)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List