Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 31 Dec 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
And make sure the Sunpass switch is set to the off position if you don’t want to use it.
Doesn’t matter in Florida as number plate recognition is used for tolling. So if you do miss paying a toll you will automatically be enrolled for the time of the trip. If you realise at the time that you did miss the toll, then you may as well keep using the express lanes for the rest of the holiday as you will be charged the daily admin fee each day whether you use a toll or not. On a 14 day holiday this will be $19.95 plus tolls at cost. This is wil Avis.
Same goes for Alamo except you are only charged the admin fee per gays that tolls are used. Avis is charged for every rental day to a max of just under $20

We always take the toll option as $20 over the holiday takes all the associated toll payment stress away, and let’s you get on with your holiday.
Each to their own of course.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 02:27 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Doesn’t matter in Florida as number plate recognition is used for tolling. So if you do miss paying a toll you will automatically be enrolled for the time of the trip. If you realise at the time that you did miss the toll, then you may as well keep using the express lanes for the rest of the holiday as you will be charged the daily admin fee each day whether you use a toll or not. On a 14 day holiday this will be $19.95 plus tolls at cost. This is wil Avis.
Same goes for Alamo except you are only charged the admin fee per gays that tolls are used. Avis is charged for every rental day to a max of just under $20

We always take the toll option as $20 over the holiday takes all the associated toll payment stress away, and let’s you get on with your holiday.
I noticed that newer AVIS cars do not seem to have trnsponders so thy must be relying on the py by plate now.

Problem is that AVIS seem to bill you regardless if you use the cash lane. Maybe the toll company is the guilty company here and is sending AVIS the plate numbers even when using a cash lane.
But it seems like with AVIS you have no alternative but to pay the $19.95 and any tolls as paying cash is wasted as you seem to get billed anyway without fighting it.

I'd love to see a class action filed against one of them bacause someone is being dishonest and fleecing the public. Not sure who yet.

But advice is almost assume you will get billed $19.95 by AVIS and for tolls and never pay cash unless you want to fight it on your return and submit proof etc etc. :angry:
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
vickie xx
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone!

I think i'll be paying for fuel upfront and rehearsing my "no extras!" mantra!

Is there a well known toll free route from the airport?

(First time DIY)

TIA
vickie xx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post

Except that our experience was different to that. Our SunPass was set to on (our fault for not checking). We paid cash at the first toll after MCO and got a receipt. Toll booth lady told us transponder was on. We switched it off. When we got home we had been charged the admin fee plus that one toll on our credit card. It wasn’t a case of missing a toll. We were only charged when the transponder was on, in a cash lane where we paid cash and got a receipt. Hard to see how number plate recognition was involved.
Old 2 Jan 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vickie xx View Post
Thanks everyone!

I think i'll be paying for fuel upfront and rehearsing my "no extras!" mantra!

Is there a well known toll free route from the airport?

(First time DIY)

TIA
yes, there is :-)
Sorry, Im at work so don't have the route in front of me.
If no one else comes back in between, I will post the non toll road route later
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Righ, go south out tge airport South access road, onto Boggy Creek Road, onto 527A
Then right onto 530 towards Kissimmee,
Tgen either turn right ontomE Osceola Parkway, or carry on down the 530 until it meets the 192 at Kissimmee
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Except that our experience was different to that. Our SunPass was set to on (our fault for not checking). We paid cash at the first toll after MCO and got a receipt. Toll booth lady told us transponder was on. We switched it off. When we got home we had been charged the admin fee plus that one toll on our credit card. It wasn’t a case of missing a toll. We were only charged when the transponder was on, in a cash lane where we paid cash and got a receipt. Hard to see how number plate recognition was involved.
Ok I understand now. Out of interest how much did they charge you for the admin fee? . I assume when the lady said your TO was on she wouldn’t have charged you as that would inevitably ended in a double charge. Not an Avis fault but a Toll Company’s one, I’d say.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List