Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Feb 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tco200
Imagineer

Mobile

We are looking at maybe doing 18 days or so in August.

We've done September a couple of times before and was nervous about August when we went last year, crowd wise it didn't really feel any busier to be honest.

Star Wars land will be horrific but I'll plan on skipping next time unless we can get fast passes, hopefully in turn it might make other parks a little quieter
Tco200 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

We have been several times in August and find the end 2 weeks to be fairly good. Busy at times, but nothing compared to July or the beginning of August.
From mid august on, you really notice the drop in queues and the parks feel quieter each day, until the very end of August where it picks up again for Labour Weekend.
Weather is extreme, but with plenty of suncream and shadow hoping during peak hours, its actually fun and bearable.
Yes it rains. Yes it will rain a lot when it does rain, but you can usually time it with a watch. In 2017 we went to 2 weeks and didnt have a drop of rain during our stay. In 2016 we had 2 days with rain for about an hour, and 1 day of full rain. The difference is life still goes on in the rain, you just work around it. Throw on a poncho and enjoy it. Its still warm.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve been for 3 weeks at the end of August the last three years, after always going in May before that.

It’s hot but didn’t bother us at all.

We stay at both Disney and universal and always do Universal last as the crowds there are affected more by the US holidays. Disney seems to always be busy but universal at the very end of August is comparatively quiet. Also cost wise universal is much cheaper at the end of August.

We’ll be back next year and will likely follow the same plan again as it’s worked so well for us before.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Nanny
Imagineer

Haven't read all the replies as need to run, but, my experience!
My first and one and only holiday of a lifetime started in June 1994! Pulled out eldest of infant school for a week to cover the two week holiday.
That was it, hooked!
Since then as not pulling children out of school always gone in August.
Always end of August so much quieter than beginning, or so I thought, actually when we did end of July beginning of August for 4 weeks one year, really didn't make a difference to us.
We had our plans, factored in children, adults and mealtimes and we were fine. I am happy going at any time of year other than christmas day and the easter hols.
Hope that helps.
Disney Nanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
redredshopper
Imagineer

It is hot, very hot and I really struggled last August we didn’t manage world showcase because of the heat. Now all that being said would it pu me off going again in August - nope not at all I bought a cooling towel, made use of the free iced water and soaked up the a/c where possible and took things slower.

We would go again in August 2019 if we knew for sure Star Wars would be open.
Old 20 Feb 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I have to travel in school holidays and have travelled in August every time we’ve been. Yes it’s hot and humid but it’s never been unbearable because there is always access to shops/restaurants/cars/rides with air conditioning not too far away. Take lots and lots of water. Go out early/late and go back to accommodation when it’s too hot. And don’t forget it does also rain at that time of year which brings relief from the heat.

On the Star Wars front, I heard a rumour that it might not be open until October so you would miss that if it is the case.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List