Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 22 Feb 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WASTID View Post
Hmm that's not what I wanted to hear! Should probably just reserve then keep an eye on any AP rooms being released I suppose and see if it's cheaper then cancel and rebook.
Actually disagree with that, you just need to be on the ball and check every day. We have been in June, July and August for the last many years and alwYs got a great AP rate (never more than $250). Sometimes you need to book say a bay view room and cancel and rebook to a garden closer the time thereby reducing your rate but always there. Portofino has the best rates and availability, RPR seems to fill easily enough through online TAs so rates are never as good. Hope this helps xxx Sharon

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
There are good points and bad points in doing this - Mostly good.

Good points :
Spread the cost
After the first 12 months you can cancel at a months notice. So if going 15 months apart this can be a good option as you can cancel after 15 months whereas if you brought annual you would need to pay for the full second year.
Bad point
No discount on renewal. By paying the full fee you get a discount on renewal which you do not get with monthly. This is a good bonus if you renew each year.
Great idea, never thought of doing that, top tip

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Firstimer6 View Post
I have 3 park tickets for July bought in the uk, how do I work out the cost to upgrade to an annual price? I couldn’t work it out on the website. Tia
For the seasonal pass think it's around $5-9 pp for 2 park and $105-109 (depending on dollar rate) to include VB

Old 23 Feb 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Regarding free parking with preferred AP, note that you only get free parking with a valid AP.
If you have a voucher and need to collet your AP, you'll pay for parking, and you won't get credit for the parking fee you've paid.

regarding AP room discounts, they're usually released 3 or 4 months out, but that's not set in stone
Also note that AP discounts are only good for stays of 6 or less days.
For longer stays, there is the SMSM rate (Stay More Save More) that will give you 30% discount on your stay, and this discount is better or equal to the AP rate. So if you're staying for 7 days, and get the AP just for that discount, you won't save

also note that the AP gets you free parking at Citywalk, but it does not get you free parking at Universal hotels. You'll still need to pay $22 a night at RPR, HRH, PBH and $12 at CBBR (and, no, you can't remain parked at citywalk overnight to avoid hotel parking fees :p )

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
Actually disagree with that, you just need to be on the ball and check every day. We have been in June, July and August for the last many years and alwYs got a great AP rate (never more than $250).
well, I strongly disagree with that. (rather, your advice stands for one or two nighters, but not for longer stays)
Booking as soon as possibile will get you the SMSM rate (for stays that qualify, e.g. 3 nights or more)
So you lock in the *best* price at time of booking, and IF you don't get AP rates, you still have that *best* rate, when at the time you realise you won't get APH rate you might only find seasonnal rates (much more expensive)
so being on the ball and booking when and if an APH is released can also be a good recipe to pay more for your room.

You can book direct with Loews. Then IF a better rate is released, you just need to call them, and they adjust your rate
note that if you don't have an AP rate, you can still amend to the AP rate, you'll only need to show the AP anytime before check out.

Whatever you have paid over the AP rate (as you booked a higher rate to secure it) will be credited to your room charge (and can be used to pay for parking, spends, food, and so on) . If you don't spend it all, it will be refunded to the original method of payment after check out)

but it's always best to book ASAP, to lock a price in. And it's fully refundable (loews site) be advised that terms and conditions change if you book a package (hotel + tickets) so if you intend on upgrading package tickets to AP, you're not eligible for AP rates on the room.

book the hotel on Loews (room only) and tickets on the side if you intend on upgrading, or buying an AP to start with.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

No need to strongly disagree, what you're saying is fundamentally the same as I said, apart from the SMSM which is very true. The APH rate, if available, is probably the cheapest way to get a one night stay and get two nights passes but not for a longer stay. What I was actually disagreeing with was that APH rates are rarely available in summer. ... I speak from many years experience on that one 😉 Good advice, if you're staying longer book the SMSM date as soon as it's released or rack room rate or a fully cancelable room with a TA for less than 4 nights and cancel or rebook if and when AP rates become available.

That said, rates for this May have been few and far between, hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Not wishing to antagonise or score points just trying to assure the previous poster that rates do normally show for summer and not to worry just yet.

Old 23 Feb 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I tried daily last year for a 7 night stay in May and a 5 night stay in August.

Once APH rates were released they weren’t as cheap as I’d booked through others.

I would still look in the future but would book with somewhere that offers free cancellation as early as possible.

Last year we ended up staying at RPR twice. We weren’t bothered which of the hotels we stayed at as long as it got us express passes.

Last year we paid:

May - nightly rate of £195
August - nightly rate of £178

I didn’t book our May stay until March as I waited for APH but even once it was released Netflights were cheaper. Had I booked earlier I’d seen prices of £150 per night.

I booked August at the same time on a free cancellation booking just in case but couldn’t get cheaper with APH. I could have had cheaper if I’d booked earlier.

For next year I’m after Cabana Bay for a week in August and I’ll be booking a room with free cancellation as soon as they’re available.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I tried daily last year for a 7 night stay in May and a 5 night stay in August.

Once APH rates were released they weren’t as cheap as I’d booked through others.

I would still look in the future but would book with somewhere that offers free cancellation as early as possible.

Last year we ended up staying at RPR twice. We weren’t bothered which of the hotels we stayed at as long as it got us express passes.

Last year we paid:

May - nightly rate of £195
August - nightly rate of £178

I didn’t book our May stay until March as I waited for APH but even once it was released Netflights were cheaper. Had I booked earlier I’d seen prices of £150 per night.

I booked August at the same time on a free cancellation booking just in case but couldn’t get cheaper with APH. I could have had cheaper if I’d booked earlier.

For next year I’m after Cabana Bay for a week in August and I’ll be booking a room with free cancellation as soon as they’re available.
Absolutely the right thing to do, I've never found good APH rates for Royal Pacific but always manage to get a cracking deal at Portofino (usually much less than a night with a third party at RPR)

Not sure what it is about May, we bagged two nights at the HRH for $249 but they were only there for a couple of days and now its suites only. That said, I fully expect them to release more closer too.

As chmurf advised and I wasn't clear on, book on Loews at a rate you're happy with to secure the room asap then amend if and when an APH rate shows.

Good advice on the SMSM Rate too, APH rarely beats that.

Edited at 04:16 PM.