Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Feb 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Conno
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
A new "language" has appeared on the UK site.
If you click on the language link at the top of our UK/IE site, you might have noticed a new language called "Europe (Euros)" and if you've clicked through you'll realise the prices are in euros, just like on the Irish version, but the offers and prices are much different
Just book and pay in £ via the UK site. Currency exchange will be done by your bank/method of payment.
Conno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Conno View Post
Just book and pay in £ via the UK site. Currency exchange will be done by your bank/method of payment.

The question is not about paying with a foreign currency. I have done so for a fair number of years now.

The thing is that the UK and IE offers state that they are UK and IE exclusive.
We've been ok booking those offers (8 times since 2012 actually) as long as we don't have a US adress, they're fine with that.

But, with the new site, the question is to know if they will start banning guests from booking without a UK or IE adress.
Currently, all of EU is listed on the checkout page, and I know about faking my internet location (I'm doing that for Netflix USA if you care to know)

but the concern is about what could come from a separation between UK and EU offers, and more specifically, about the ability to continue booking on the UK or IE site.

As previously said, they are way behind schedule for releasing 2019 UK rack rates, so it could be a clue there will be changes coming.

if we can still book the UK rates and deals, that would be a good thing, but many here in EU are concerned that this could be going and not coming back.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

The question is not about paying with a foreign currency. I have done so for a fair number of years now.

The thing is that the UK and IE offers state that they are UK and IE exclusive.
We've been ok booking those offers (8 times since 2012 actually) as long as we don't have a US adress, they're fine with that.

But, with the new site, the question is to know if they will start banning guests from booking without a UK or IE adress.
Currently, all of EU is listed on the checkout page, and I know about faking my internet location (I'm doing that for Netflix USA if you care to know)

but the concern is about what could come from a separation between UK and EU offers, and more specifically, about the ability to continue booking on the UK or IE site.

As previously said, they are way behind schedule for releasing 2019 UK rack rates, so it could be a clue there will be changes coming.

if we can still book the UK rates and deals, that would be a good thing, but many here in EU are concerned that this could be going and not coming back.
Exactly and the other thing they could enforce is a card with an address in a particular country.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Hi, fellow EU compadres, sorry Irish mates, you might not be affected

Hello, I'm French ... hello french ...

We usually book our disney trips through WDTC UK, or rather IE as we all pay in euros

It used to be ok, even though the sites said the offers and tickets were for UK and Irish residents only. WDTC told us it was OK

but, since the last couple of days, there is growing concern.
A new "language" has appeared on the UK site.
If you click on the language link at the top of our UK/IE site, you might have noticed a new language called "Europe (Euros)" and if you've clicked through you'll realise the prices are in euros, just like on the Irish version, but the offers and prices are much different

for example, there are no 14/21 days ultimates, there are only the US Magic Your Way Tickets, billed in Euros

so, there is a growing concern among the EU community, that we may no longer be able to book the UK/IE deals, such as Free Dining and the ultimates (or is that a reason for the 2019 price release being pushed back compared to previous years ?)

as anyone heard anything about the situation ?
Forgive me for replying but I'm a UK citizen and my wife is Irish and we are lucky enough to live in Belgium for the last 20 years so have experienced all that comes with it positive and negative.

I have tried and failed from several UK DIBB advertised ticket companies to by the UK tickets as I've been informed they are only for the UK market and that the sellers could get into bother if they sell to Europeans. Pointing out that I was British and had a British passport didn't help

So as far as I know only one of the ticket resellers on the DIBB will actually sell me ultimate passes.

It is often the same with car hire companies that are much more expensive for US car hire than their .co.uk equivalents.

I'm sure there will be no problem logging into the ie site in the future f you can get round the stupid geolocking companies insist on to ensure they price your holiday with the correct VAT. However the difference in price is usually much higher than the VAT differential.

Good luck with your trip planning and DM me if you want to know the ticket company that sells Ultimates to us lowly European residents.

Old 26 Feb 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

(I'm doing that for Netflix USA if you care to know)
Hi Chmurf,

Can you send me a pm with the company you are using for that? We used to have one but netflix banned it about 2 years ago.

Old 26 Feb 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

well, there was a draft of a law banning discrimination based on country of residence, back in 2016, but TBH I don't know if it ever made it into the Law

I'm among those who are the most confident we'll still be able to book the UK offers (after all we can book disneyland paris on any european or UK site, all of which having different deals) but I'm opening this thread here in the hope to get feedback for the folks back on a non-english speaking forum.
There are a fair number of people, not UK/IE residents who are eagerly waiting for the 2019 free dining deal. So as you may understand every little thing takes ginormous proportions and people need some kind of reassurance
The law enters force on first april but it only applies to online services like netflix from now on you'll be able to watch netflix fr in every EU country (if that's good or bad news depends on your countries selection )

From April 1 I can now continue to watch netflix BE selection in France what's not clear is if I will have the choice to switch to netflix FR if I want but I digress from the original topic

Old 26 Feb 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

They watered down the geoblocking regulation regarding copyrighted works in December I understand, after lobbying?
It is meant to be coming in though where it is 'unjustified' geoblocking, for example buying the majority of goods and services.
I haven't looked into it, but it seems the rules will prevent geoblocking for services provided in a specific geographic location. Whether that means if you are selling holidays outside EU you won't be caught by it I don't know unless I do some research.
This may be behind the 'eu' change described by OP.
The UK is still in the eu so when the Reg comes in, if it applied to Disney holidays I'd expect it to apply to bookings until we come out (if ever).
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

consilium.europa.eu/en/po.../geo-blocking/

It says it will be banned 'for services such as hotel accommodation... Which are received by the customer in the country where the trader operates'.
The devil will be in the detail of the Reg itself, but if that statement is correct I can see Disney Travel Co possibly having workarounds.
Old 26 Feb 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

It is far too early to worry about anything... It could be as simple as wanting to accommodate site visitors who think they cannot book because the EU or their country is not shown. The fact that this new option was introduced long after the current free nights promotion might be the reason there is no promotion on the EU site right now.
Even the lack of your country in the billing information is not necessarily an issue if that ends up happening. There was a time when the only address options were UK and Ireland but you could still book on the phone with an EU address. Why stress over something which is nothing but a wild guess and speculation at this point?
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List