Notices

Old 26 Feb 18, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Montreal 2018: Parlez-vous francais? - Day 3: Snowy Mont Royal

I woke up about 5am! Early but I had had about 8 hours sleep which wasn't bad!

My legs were still aching - hardly surprising given how far I had walked.

I looked out but no snow even though it was forecast!

After having a shower, I went down at 7am to get some breakfast supplies which I bought back to my room.

I toasted the bagels I had bought yesterday. My view - a bit too chewy and pretty tasteless! I won't be rushing back!

After breakfast I again checked out of the window - still no snow!

I slowly got ready - my legs weren't completely cooperating but I wasn't planning on doing quite so much walking today!

When I left the room, there was still no snow. By the time I got downstairs, it was bucketing down! It was impressive how fast it came down!

My plan was to do what I started yesterday - walk up to Mont Royal. It was pretty slippy on the way through McGill University - I soon realised that you needed to take small steps and keep to where the pavement had been gritted!

It was certainly pretty! I was thankful that my coat had a hood with a big overhang so it kept the snow off my face!

I got the impression that the squirrel was used to human company as he posed quite happily!

I made it up to the Chalet de Mont Royal! There were an awful amount of steps!

The view from the top was obviously not as clear as it could be!

I went into the Chalet to warm up a little (though I wasn't that cold!) and to have a bit of a rest! Surprisingly there was wifi in the Chalet so I imessaged F.

I loved the squirrels on the roof beams!

When I left the snow seemed to have turned into sleet. Not so nice!

My plan was to walk through the park to one of the other entrances and head to St Joseph's Oratory.

On my way down I saw cross country skiers, tobogganers and in the distance, ice skaters on Lac de Castors.

I got to the bottom and started the walk to Oratory. I was quite surprised that the road sign said 2 km! I plowed on - I could see the dome in the distance and thankfully it was getting closer!

By the time I got within spitting distance, I needed some food.

There was a cafe so I went in. Unfortunately it was one of those snooty ones. I ordered a coffee and a baguette with cheese. The baguette came but no coffee. And no-one came near me so I could ask about it. The staff were all too busy moving pots of daffodils around!

They bought the bill - with the coffee on it. I told the waiter and he bought me a revised bill. I paid and he bought me the change - which annoyed me as instead of a $10 bill and coins he bought me a $5 bill and coins so I could leave a tip. I went into my purse and left a tip with 5 and 10 cent coins. Probably shouldn't have left anything as they were not very good but I did (but only about 15%)

I then went to the Oratoire St Joseph. I didn't know what to expect. My guidebook said it was one of the most visited basilica with 2 million visitors a year as well as being Canada's largest church.

It was very strange. On the ground floor was a church (which had a service going on). Then there was an escalator up to several more floors.

Going up this and several other escalators led me to several giftshops, a cafeteria and a museum. There were also several penny pressing machines dotted around.

I then went up another escalator to a second church (the basilica) which housed one of the largest domes in the world.

It didn't look that big but what do I know!

I did like all the stain glassed windows.

Though the wooden statues of the disciples I found a little odd in their design.

I decided that I would walk to the nearby metro station and catch the metro back. This necessitated a change of train but it was worth it to save my feet!

I went to a restaurant call Ben & Florentine which I had seen on previous visits to Montreal.

I ordered a veggie burger and fries. It was very nice but also very filling - I didn't manage to finish it.

It cost $14 including coffee!

I went back to the hotel, dropped off my very wet backpack and then went back out to find where the language school was.

I passed this statue commemorating the Olympics. Canada has just had its most successful Winter Olympics and there is already talk of Calgary bidding to host the 2026 Games.

I used the RESO underground tunnels to get near to where I wanted to be. At times the signs were not that clear but I managed!

The language school is in Vieux Montreal - not dar from the Notre Dame Basilica.

I stopped for a maple latte - I wasn't expecting such a large bowl but it was very nice!

I wondered down yo the port. The big wheel that was being built when we were here in the summer was now complete.

The water around seemed almost frozen - but probably enough to skate on without falling in!

Once back in the vicinity of the hotel I picked up a salad for dinner, dropped it off in my room and then went back out to see the En Lumiere area in the dark.

There were less people - certainly less children! Perhaps down to the weather?

This was the first time in years that Canada hasn't won a curling medal in the two main events. This has caused a bit of a national outrage. I wonder if this activity was as a result of this - encouraging new players!

After wandering around I headed back to the hotel.

I was quite shocked to realise that even though my intention was to walk less today I actually did almost 31,000 steps - over 23.5 km. At least from now on in I will be in class from 9am to 2pm!

Once back and in PJs I had half of my endive and pear salad. It was delicious and a much needed vegetable boost!

At least tonight I haven't fallen asleep too early. Hopefully will make it to 6am tomorrow!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 03:42 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 26 Feb 18 2:42 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Another really good, busy day. Lovely snowy views with plenty of walking.
Old 26 Feb 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another day with lots of walking bet your legs will be glad of a good nights sleep.

Joan
Old 26 Feb 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Boo to the bagels! Some lovely photos on your walk, your legs need a holiday they must be exhausted, ha ha. That Maple latte looked 😊
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Another interesting day. Glad you got some proper snow. Bet your legs are looking forward to being in class today
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
31k steps is pretty good. Shame about the snooty lunch sans cafe! See we're all parlez-ing! Ok that was dreadful. I hope you had fun in class today.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
You did so well walking that far again, and in the snow and sleet too!

I’ve never heard of escalators in a church before - that was very surprising to read.

It’s a pity about your snooty cafe.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Another really good, busy day. Lovely snowy views with plenty of walking.
One reason for coming in February was to have snow so happy it happened at the weekend where I could take full advantage of it!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another day with lots of walking bet your legs will be glad of a good nights sleep.

Joan
I think my legs need a week of sleep but I will keep going! Can rest when I get home!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Boo to the bagels! Some lovely photos on your walk, your legs need a holiday they must be exhausted, ha ha. That Maple latte looked 😊
The latte made up for the bagels!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Another interesting day. Glad you got some proper snow. Bet your legs are looking forward to being in class today
Even being in class I managed (spolier alert ) 14+km

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
31k steps is pretty good. Shame about the snooty lunch sans cafe! See we're all parlez-ing! Ok that was dreadful. I hope you had fun in class today.
Franglais is such a great language

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
You did so well walking that far again, and in the snow and sleet too!

I’ve never heard of escalators in a church before - that was very surprising to read.

It’s a pity about your snooty cafe.
The escalators were really odd. I could understand the need for people with limited mobility but surely lifts would be better?

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 18, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

The Basilica looked quite something, an escalator in a church indeed !
That baguette and cheese looked a bit feeble and what rubbish service ! More great sights , it does look such an interesting place. I'm still looking at that bowl of maple latte !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List