Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Feb 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Traveler's cheque

Hi , not been to florida for several years and was wondering if traveler's cheques were still accepted in Walmart and the theme parks
Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
lilo82
Imagineer

Mobile

I can only confirm theme park usage! we used last August no problems at all. we also used our magic bands to pay and then paid the balance of bands using TCS.
lilo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

We used them in 2013 and found it considerably more difficult than in previous trips. A lot of the younger cashiers didn't have a clue how to accept them so we were often left waiting, causing a massive queue whilst it was confirmed whether they could be used.
Some of the smaller shops wouldn't accept them either.
Last summer we got a FAIRFX card and used it to withdraw cash. It did mean stopping at a wawa petrol station every couple of days but this was only a few minutes out of our journey.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 17, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

Mobile

Used some last year. Only used them in Disney. Just popped to guest services and they changed them up there.
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

We spent around £4500 Amex TC last June/July. We weren't going to after the hassle in 2014 but I bought them before brexit and was glad we did.

They can be a hassle in some shops but we just went to the bank before going shopping and cashed around $500 each. You need your uk driving license (photo one) and your passport.

You can still use them easily in Disney and cash around $100 each at guest services and per room at your Disney hotel.

Hth
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mentm
Getting to know the DIBB

Isnt it better to use one of the prepay cards nowadays?
Mentm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Yes we used them last year in Wal-Mart, Disney, Universal etc some of the outlets. No problems. Only Best Buy who said they'd take it, then couldn't give change, then they wouldn't take it, complete faff.. Even Best Buy in NYC took them, anyway took it to Wal-Mart & they took it for us.. We'll be taking some again this year.
Old 9 Feb 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I stick everything on a Credit Card. However having seen post after post on here about these pre paid Cards I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Travellers Cheques may seem old fashihed (like me!) but they are safe, accepted in millions of locations and easilly replaced if lost or stolen. My view would be if you don't accept them as a retailer then I don't shop with you.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerdigger
Very Serious Dibber

We used them last year with mixed results. Most places like Walmart, Publix, all the Theme Parks would cash them, however it can be frustrating depending on who serves you as some people don't know what they are doing with them, particularly younger members of Staff. Many of the stores in the Outlets and Malls accepted them including Timberland, Hilfiger and Michael Kors however Adidas and Journeys didn't accept them. As a result we are not going to take them this year even though its still my preferred method as I believe its the most secure.
Old 9 Feb 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubble123
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I stick everything on a Credit Card. However having seen post after post on here about these pre paid Cards I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Travellers Cheques may seem old fashihed (like me!) but they are safe, accepted in millions of locations and easilly replaced if lost or stolen. My view would be if you don't accept them as a retailer then I don't shop with you.
Yes! I like this!

and that's what we did in Best Buy - walked out. Went to Wal-Mart & brought there instead.. No bother to us.

I find more accept them than don't & the younger staff were soon showed how to process them, it was never an issue