Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Feb 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Matty777
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Picklepuppy View Post
Its for safety and not padantic at all! As former cabin crew, it drives me mad when check in dont their job properly. The fewer bags on the floor the safer the aircraft. You really dont want a bag strap in the way when evacuating. Please stick to small bags that fit inthe overhead locker! Virtually every weird rule and regulation on an aircraft is there to protect you and save your life, even things like window blinds up at night landings with the lights off is there to save you!
"Safety" ? So why do other equally as "big" airlines have a size of just 1cm bigger in W and D. So I kind of call it pedantic, in a way
Matty777 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd always assumed that hand baggage dimensions were different due to airlines using different planes with different fittings and thus having a different size limit. Is this not the case? (pun intended) or do they really only do it to be awkward?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

They dont do it to be awkward. Its mainly to ensure the majority end up in over head lockers and also to try and limit what people take with them. Each airline can set its own rules, but a passenger should not require assistance stowing their own luggage (obviously other than children disabled etc) if a crew member has to help because its too heavy it should be in the hold
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We want to get some new luggage and some of the small cases are slightly wider than those stated for Virgin so we went to the Virgin store in the same mall and she said a centimetre or two would not be a problem they are more worried about it conforming to the 10KG hand luggage allowance and that it fits in the overhead bins. Just to make sure we also went into the Debenhams in the same mall who also have a Virgin shop and got the same answer.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JAF View Post
We want to get some new luggage and some of the small cases are slightly wider than those stated for Virgin so we went to the Virgin store in the same mall and she said a centimetre or two would not be a problem they are more worried about it conforming to the 10KG hand luggage allowance and that it fits in the overhead bins. Just to make sure we also went into the Debenhams in the same mall who also have a Virgin shop and got the same answer.
But Virgin Holidays don't decide the baggage size Virgin Atlantic do.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweetie Babes
VIP Dibber

Sweetie Babes's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 32

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
But Virgin Holidays don't decide the baggage size Virgin Atlantic do.
No, they don't decide the size and weight; what they do is confirm company policy (they are both the same parent company) for size and weight.

I wouldn't go by what a suitcase shop says about bag size, incidentally. Bags Etc used to have a chat in their shops which had each airline's maximum bag size/weight so you knew what bag to buy, but I was told more than once by shop staff not to rely on this as airlines did change sizes from time to time, and I should check on the website or ring the airline for a definitive answer.
Nov03: 14nts Travelodge/ Feb05: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Aug06: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Apr08: 10nts villa White Oak Circle/ Feb11: 14nts condo Sweetwater Circle/ Feb12: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb13: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb14: 7nts CBR/ Mar15: 14nts AoA/ Nov15: 7nts OKW(DVC)/ Aug16: 2nts BLT/ 6nts AKL/ Sep17: 8nts OKW/3nts BLT/ Sep18: 1nt GFV/9nts OKW/ Feb19: 5nts POR/3nts GFV/ Feb20: 8nts AKL/ Apr22: 3nts OKW/8nts GFV / May23: 9nts BLT / Apr24: 14nts villa Seasons Blvd
Sweetie Babes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gilly120
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BigSkip View Post
Try taking an internal flight in the US and see some of the bags that pass for "Hand Luggage"
Agree with this, we flew Detroit to Orlando and the family sitting in front of us "hand luggage" was bigger than our suitcases in the hold
Old 12 Feb 17, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
MickeyMoose
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
I wish more airlines would enforce their policies. We always ensure we conform and it's pretty annoying when others flaunt the rules and get away with it. Just saying.
MickeyMoose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
madasahat
Imagineer

hand luggage is getting ridiculous they should enforce the size limit
orlando sun Villa 2011 2012 2013 villa velvet 2014 Killa villa 2015 orlando sun villa 2017 lake berkeley 2018 lake berkeley 2022
madasahat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sweetie Babes View Post
No, they don't decide the size and weight; what they do is confirm company policy (they are both the same parent company) for size and weight.

I wouldn't go by what a suitcase shop says about bag size, incidentally. Bags Etc used to have a chat in their shops which had each airline's maximum bag size/weight so you knew what bag to buy, but I was told more than once by shop staff not to rely on this as airlines did change sizes from time to time, and I should check on the website or ring the airline for a definitive answer.
Again I say that an assistant in a VH shop telling you basically to break the size limit won't hold good if stopped at a VA check in.
Even you say check with the airline ( which is not VH BTW)
I'm not trying to argue just trying to avoid possible conflict at the desk.
It is of course everyone's own choice whether they want to break the rules,and risk bags going in the hold and being charged for it, or conform with the rules and breeze thro each time, every time. I know what we do.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List