Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 17, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
MissCellaneous
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Travel insurance cancellation cover

Hi I was trying to get travel insurance booked for our upcoming Halloween Orlando trip 😃 and ran into something interesting. On comparison sites, I always filter to get a cancellation amount that covers the whole trip for the two of us (on a couples quote). However, this time around I noticed a line in a policy summary document that said 'per person unless otherwise stated' against all the cover limits.

My question is, if this may generally / often be the case - have I been paying too much? Essentially asking for double the limit I need? Has anyone else come across this, or maybe someone has a particular insight? Thank you 😊
Old 12 Feb 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Most policies are very similar so I doubt the price difference would have been much. They usually cover £5000 per person.
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MissCellaneous
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

It was quite a lot actually 😊 Like £40 vs. £30 I normally up it to the 3k/4K mark and it makes it more pricey!
Old 12 Feb 17, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
k100dmk
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

For peace of mind I think the extra tenner would be worth it. Also check what other items it covers. Some only cover items up to a value of £250 which would kill me if my camera equipment and laptop went missing. Id be around 6 grand out of pocket.
k100dmk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
MissCellaneous
slightly serious Dibber

I definitely agree with you - I'm just wondering if someone knows something I don't, i.e. do the comparison sites make it conveniently easy for you to repeatedly overpay due to the way they use the filters (i.e. limits cover per person although you're booking for a couple / group, say)?
Old 13 Feb 17, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

I was going to ask the exact same thing! I always assumed the cancelation amount was per trip, not per person. But the limits are around £5k which wouldn't cover a Florida holiday for the 6 of us. Can't find anywhere where it states per person though.
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I think most policies that I have looked at have limits per person, not per travelling group. I don't use the comparison sites.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

By far the vast majority, if not all, are per person limits. Sometimes when children are involved, certain items have a reduced amount, but the main ones like cancellation, medical expenses, etc are per person. Just make sure you read all the policy and it will be clear there.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
bLaZeR666_uk
Master Dibber

bLaZeR666_uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 22
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Also check the small print as I have noticed recently a few polices do not cover electrical items! which is really useless as we all take electrical stuff with us (but saying that you house contents insurance can cover you for this anyway)
Old 13 Feb 17, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

That's good then, as I was looking on the Boots travel insurance website and was going to go for the one with most cancellation cover but might not need to now if it's per person
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List