Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 17, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Die_hard
Being a bit Goofy

General Questions

Hope this is ok to put here, thought it was better than creating numerous threads.

First timers in Florida, going with wife, 7y.o. and my 72y.o. Mum and can't wait

Arriving on 25th May which is Memorial weekend. Will this mean EVERYWHERE, esp MK will be hammered Fri-Mon?
Was looking at MK Fri, Epcot Sat, Pool Day Sun then Space Centre Mon.
However, Busy Day Schedule on here says MK busy Fri (but 2016 Orlando book says quiet Fridays ...).

Is it worth going to a water park?
I'd like to go but Mum & wife can't swim properly and won't go on any slides at all. No point going if they'd be bored (I'm guessing you can't just sunbathe!? which is the holidays we usually do).
Daughter can swim a bit (having lessons), but wouldn't want her coming out of a slide into a pool on her own.

Is there really much for a 7y.o. girl to do at Space Centre who's got no special interest in space whatsoever? lol. She does like hands-onny stuff though...

(Only really a thought now but) do any late deals for Disney hotels tend to come up? Have paid deposit for Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa with balance paid on arrival (3-bed firework view) but preferably wanted to stay at a Disney hotel, however, we'd need either a suite/apartment with 2 bedrooms or 2 rooms which doubled the price when I looked ages ago...

TYIA
Die_hard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
grottyrotty
Imagineer

Hi

Some queries I can answer, some I can't. But another Dibber will be along in a minute, I'm sure.

We spent a 3 week holiday from 17th May a few years ago. I don't remember the parks being particularly crowded (or that we avoided them!) over memorial weekend, but my memory aint as good as it used to be I do remember that this was the holiday when most of the rides were a walk-on.

As for the water parks - the first time we went, my DD was 5 & DS was 7. DD wasn't wonderful as a swimmer, and neither am I (I wear specs and don't like to be without them! ). There was plenty for us not-so-strong swimmers to do. We went on the family raft rides and all of the rides were you sit in a rubber ring (doubles and singles!). I panic if I have to land in a deep pool at the end of a ride, but this was not a problem.

And there were plenty of rides which catered just for kiddies, including some rings, ropes over pools etc. My kids loved it.

And yes, you can just nab some sun-loungers (there are even private group areas that you can hire) and sunbathe, but I imagine you would burn to a crisp!

We also did KSC on that trip. We spent the day, and the kids loved it. But they are a bit science-freaky anyway

Deb

Edited at 07:20 PM.
grottyrotty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
Its Busy at that time, but i have never found a quite time in florida! The busy day guide is you friend and will give you the best idea. Generally any park which has the extra magic hours will show as least recommended because on site guests will already in the park when it opens to the general public, making it busier.

You can indeed " just sunbath" at a water park, and why not! Its not like you will imagine, loads of shaded areas, seating to relax, read a book if you want. There is a kids area, zero entry pools and a lot of the flumes are what you would call " tame" so there would be no issue with a youngster on their own on one. Well worth a visit. Both if you can.

KSC is, well full of space things, interesting but personally if you have no interest in space then after a few hours you will have had enough and personally there is more in Disney to explore!

Onsite is quite expensive, as you will know. Free dining plans are often offered from the end of April for the following year which can reduce the cost of on site. The " value" resort Art of Animation has suits with separate rooms, and the moderate resorts could have have adjoining rooms but you obviously pay twice.
A villa could be another option for you, but its not onsite.
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I would try the water parks even if you're not strong swimmers.

The only thing to avoid are the wave pools as they are very strong and will drag you off your feet, but otherwise the slides with a rubber ring are all fine.

There are lots of rides where you sit in a ring as a single or a double. You don't get tipped out at the bottom of the slide and you won't even go in the water until you get out of the pool and it's approx 3 ft of water.

There are also lazy rivers with 1 and 2 person inflatable dingy type rings. There are also double ring slides which you and your daughter could do together.

I would say it's worth a half day and your mum and wife might like some of the rides. If not then there are loads of sun loungers we usually dump our stuff and go off and return later.

Good luck planning

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I would definitely go to a water park. You can sunbathe to your hearts content, but I guarantee you won't have been to a waterpark like it before, whichever one you choose. The lazy river is worth going for alone, have a look on youtube.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List