Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Sep 17, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Until I researched Uber/prices, I wasn't aware how much cheaper they are, understandable why many utilise Uber vs theme park car parking charges plus petrol.
thats because they are losing over $2b a year - their prices arent sustainable - they are just trying to conquer the market...

For now, it is simply worth bearing something in mind: Uber’s fares do not cover the actual cost of a journey.

Just how large the deficit is varies by territory and – as the firm don’t disclose more financial information than necessary – it is difficult to know what the shortfall per trip is in London itself. In New York, however, where some 2016 numbers are available, it seems that every journey only covers 41% of the costs involved in making it.
an interesting read about the london uber ban, and what its all about...
londonreconnections/...-uber-not-app/
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I can see the attraction of Uber it's just not for me. I can't be doing with ringing up or using an app to get a car to take me somewhere when on holidays.

However for those who like the system good luck to them. Just not my idea of being transported around, I prefer to drive myself.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I can see the attraction of Uber it's just not for me. I can't be doing with ringing up or using an app to get a car to take me somewhere when on holidays.

However for those who like the system good luck to them. Just not my idea of being transported around, I prefer to drive myself.
Tom

I must be honest and say that I know more about rocket science than I do about Uber. I understand it's a new-fangled taxi service.

Seriously though I can see from all my years on the DIBB how it works perfectly for dozens of Dibbers.

But we are just like you. I want to be sitting round the pool at the villa and decide we need some wine from Publix. Two minutes later we're in the car but after 15 minutes at Publix they don't have what we want so it's over to Target.

Buy the wine then we say how about a mooch round DS?

Come 7pm - where shall we go for dinner? So we drive to Rolling Oaks and decide on the way whether it's to be fish, steak or Italian.

Next morning it looks like being a gorgeous day so we'll head off to AMI for the day and grab breakfast at Bob Evans or iHOP on the way. Late afternoon looks like it's going to be a glorious sunset so we hang on an extra hour.

I suppose that we aren't the typical visitors but been 31 times and hired 31 times. We love WDW's 47 square miles but we also love exploring Florida's other 65,700 square miles in our own time and at our own pace.

Uber would never suit us but it obviously does for hundreds of others. We all enjoy our Florida holidays in different ways - quite rightly.

Mick
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Tom

I must be honest and say that I know more about rocket science than I do about Uber. I understand it's a new-fangled taxi service.

Seriously though I can see from all my years on the DIBB how it works perfectly for dozens of Dibbers.

But we are just like you. I want to be sitting round the pool at the villa and decide we need some wine from Publix. Two minutes later we're in the car but after 15 minutes at Publix they don't have what we want so it's over to Target.

Come 7pm - where shall we go for dinner? So we drive to Rolling Oaks and decide on the way whether it's to be fish, steak or Italian.

Next morning it looks like being a gorgeous day so we'll head off to AMI for the day and grab breakfast at Bob Evans or iHOP on the way. Late afternoon looks like it's going to be a glorious sunset so we hang on an extra hour.

I suppose that we aren't the typical visitors but been 31 times and hired 31 times. We love WDW's 47 square miles but we also love exploring Florida's other 65,700 square miles in our own time and at our own pace.

Uber would never suit us but it obviously does for hundreds of others. We all enjoy our Florida holidays in different ways - quite rightly.

Mick
Mick. So well put. Flexibility is the key. The scenarios you have given would cost a fortune without a hire car.
We are so alike!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we used uber to get to HRH & back this year & worked fine and cheap (still not sure how they get a living wage doing it? ) cheaper than 2 nights pakring anyway

but it would never replace a car for us in florida, when we eventually do go back will def still get a car
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Tom

Mick
Mick,
You are 100% in tune with myself and Mrs PPM. We have used Uber a couple times with no problem, but for us the way we spend our holiday time is nearly exactly like you folks and generally don't plan ahead. We would always have a car, even if we don't use it some days it's always there if need be
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I don't think anyone is suggesting Uber would replace a hire car for a lot of people but some people don't drive at all or like to have a drink , or don't all want to do everything together all the time but all need transport (one parent takes the kids to the parks whilst the other plays golf for example).
We run one car at home as I work from home and I simply don't need a second car , taxis or Uber's make far more sense for when needed. It's pretty much the same principle, it works for some people and is an option worth considering. I have friends whose second (or third) car rarely gets an outing and Uber would be a better economic solution but they can't get their heads around not having a car sitting on their drive just in case 24/7.

I don't really understand the references to planning ahead , you can't prebook Uber , you just call it on the app and it's with you within minutes (US taxis I've found to be a bit variable with the time they can take to get to you by comparison)

Edited at 10:25 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by WazzieT View Post
Is revolut card an option for paying via the uber app?
Having just returned a week ago I was able to link my revelout card to both uber and lyft

On proviso is that when you link the card to the app and make a booking your card needs to be unlocked
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Exactly.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Same here but in a diffrent way I used public transportation for over 60 to 70 times over 10 visits never had any problems just a little bit of planning and very cheap .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List