Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Sep 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
We normally hire a car for the flexibility as noted by other posters. However, DH never drives if he has had anything to drink, so we use Uber in Fl if we are going out for a special meal. It’s always worked beautifully for us, including trips to WDW property. As a side note, we’ve had some scary (and expensive) experiences with Mears!
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Same here but in a diffrent way I used public transportation for over 60 to 70 times over 10 visits never had any problems just a little bit of planning and very cheap .
To be fair though you probably are a fan of public transport at home too.
Some people just can't see beyond their own car whether home or away. My ex never understood why I'd get a bus into town on busy days when I could have driven. We lived on a good bus route and it was quicker and cheaper to get the bus than pay for parking plus I didn't waste time playing hunt the parking space.
If you never dream of using anything but your own car at home a hire car is the natural first thought on holiday too.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

OH has been driving in Florida for 25 years and even he thinks it's getting a bit hairy out there! The I4 yesterday was crazy! Nonetheless, the flexibility it gives us means we'll carry on hiring a car. For the two of us, we wouldn't do it any other way. However, in Sept '18, I'm coming with my daughters and we're staying onsite. I don't want to drive and none of my daughters have driven over here. We'll use Disney transport for the most part but plan on using Uber to get to Universal. DD2 has used it before and found it excellent. I'll form an opinion once we've used it but I'm happy to give it a go.
Old 26 Sep 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
herby247
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I can see the attraction of Uber it's just not for me. I can't be doing with ringing up or using an app to get a car to take me somewhere when on holidays.

However for those who like the system good luck to them. Just not my idea of being transported around, I prefer to drive myself.
Love the split opinions this thread has created, I am and always have swore by hiring a car, I was a die hard advocate of it (to be fair I probably will again) however I just don't think in Orlando 2017 the same need is there for a hire car that was there 20 years ago.

I've used Uber many places now, but the Orlando Uber setup is particularly sleek, impressive and purposely busy to cope with demand from the bustling tourists going to the parks each day.
This is the "majority" of UK visitors two weeks on site in Disney or I-Drive, they don't venture further, so the need for the hire car has been dramatically put at risk, Uber is cheaper and greatly cheaper than taxis and saves the hanging around at bus stops in the heat waiting for the I trolley or the like.
And one of the biggest benefits of it is saving on $20 a day parking!
When you couple what you'd save not taking a hire car and the daily parking charges it soon mounts up as a massive saving, especially a lot of families on here who are looking to get to Disney on the cheapest budget possible.
I accept it's not for everyone and that ll prob always be the case, but I'd like to reassure some who are on the fence or just unsure it's a really good system in place and can dramatically save you some spending money!
Don't knock it till you've tried it!
herby247 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
It may save some offsite users money, but I'm not sure it'll save those staying onsite much/anything?

Our car hire works out about £25 per day. Never used Uber but would have thought that an Uber to/from a destination (say Disney property to i-Drive) would be a similar cost? If you then have multiple stop offs/trips e.g. shopping + restaurant + supermarket etc. it could even be more expensive to Uber than use a car?

Appreciate it's convenient, useful for people who don't drive or who would like to have a drink etc. so has it's place, but don't see it replacing car hire any time soon...?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Again it is going to depend. When staying on site I tend to rarely hit I Drive (and vice versa) and I don't think most people would be doing Disney to I Drive daily.
£25 a day on Uber fares would be a lot on a daily basis . Prorata the car hire costs and add parking when applicable and I don't think there's much in it unless for some strange reason you are staying at Disney and going to Unniversal every day.

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
It may save some offsite users money, but I'm not sure it'll save those staying onsite much/anything?

Our car hire works out about £25 per day. Never used Uber but would have thought that an Uber to/from a destination (say Disney property to i-Drive) would be a similar cost? If you then have multiple stop offs/trips e.g. shopping + restaurant + supermarket etc. it could even be more expensive to Uber than use a car?

Appreciate it's convenient, useful for people who don't drive or who would like to have a drink etc. so has it's place, but don't see it replacing car hire any time soon...?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

I think for people who don’t drive it’s a great alternative, personally we will always have a car for the flexibility, but the downside is that my hubbie won’t drive out there and quite often when we are out for dinner I would like a wee cocktail which I obviously don’t have as I am the driver , but last year we made the point of using Uber a few times so we could both enjoy a little drink with dinner, I don’t usually bother with drink here but do like a cocktail or two on holiday and Uber lets me do that as their prices are so reasonable as I know if it where a normal priced taxi I wouldn’t pay it and would just take the car xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
To be fair though you probably are a fan of public transport at home too.
Some people just can't see beyond their own car whether home or away. My ex never understood why I'd get a bus into town on busy days when I could have driven. We lived on a good bus route and it was quicker and cheaper to get the bus than pay for parking plus I didn't waste time playing hunt the parking space.
If you never dream of using anything but your own car at home a hire car is the natural first thought on holiday too.
Hi no I am not I hate the local public transport it terrible . I don't even own a car I can drive where we are parking terrible but I am very lucky as I live in the city so everything near by
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Pantaloons
slightly serious Dibber

For 2 weeks onsite at Disney, we used Uber a total of 14 times.
The total came to $233 (including $1-3 tip per journey) so in reality about $200.

Thats an average of about $14 per journey (most all of these were to Universal or Sea World)

Every morning from All Star Movies, it would take a max of 3 minutes before an Uber was at reception and similar coming home. We only had an issue once at Universal when my WiFi dropped for a 20min period and I could not connect to my driver.

Cant fault the ease of use. It worked out much cheaper than car rental, petrol and paying for parking in various parks and allowed us to drink with every meal.

Cant speak highly enough of the service, except 1 driver who kept trying to impress us saying he partakes in after-hours street racing, and was so invested in his story that he missed our turnoff to SeaWorld (but took the next exit)

Best tip we can give to those staying onsite at Disney coming back from Universal / Seaworld is to get an Uber to Disney Springs (~ $5) and then use the free transport home, or conversly, if staying at Universal, use Disney buses to Disney Springs then uber the rest of the journey.

Edited at 05:07 PM.
Pantaloons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I can see the attraction of Uber it's just not for me. I can't be doing with ringing up or using an app to get a car to take me somewhere when on holidays.

However for those who like the system good luck to them. Just not my idea of being transported around, I prefer to drive myself.
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Tom

I must be honest and say that I know more about rocket science than I do about Uber. I understand it's a new-fangled taxi service.

Seriously though I can see from all my years on the DIBB how it works perfectly for dozens of Dibbers.

But we are just like you. I want to be sitting round the pool at the villa and decide we need some wine from Publix. Two minutes later we're in the car but after 15 minutes at Publix they don't have what we want so it's over to Target.

Buy the wine then we say how about a mooch round DS?

Come 7pm - where shall we go for dinner? So we drive to Rolling Oaks and decide on the way whether it's to be fish, steak or Italian.

Next morning it looks like being a gorgeous day so we'll head off to AMI for the day and grab breakfast at Bob Evans or iHOP on the way. Late afternoon looks like it's going to be a glorious sunset so we hang on an extra hour.

I suppose that we aren't the typical visitors but been 31 times and hired 31 times. We love WDW's 47 square miles but we also love exploring Florida's other 65,700 square miles in our own time and at our own pace.

Uber would never suit us but it obviously does for hundreds of others. We all enjoy our Florida holidays in different ways - quite rightly.

Mick
Hey up Gadgey Mick and MrT... we only use a taxi once a year; Heald Green Premier Inn to T2, cheap at £6 plus £1 tip we give. If we needed to get from RSW to our pal's Cape Coral home/the island I'd use Uber, be daft not to considering Uber to the island, excluding tip, is $27 cheaper than Pine Island Taxi. We simply need to get A to B in a tin box with wheels, doesn't have to be a fancy car.

We own an awld tin box on wheels in Fl for getting around the island, rarely do we go off isle, but definitely see the attraction for those who only tend to travel accommodation to theme parks, overall Uber may be cheaper than hiring a motor with hire prices constantly rising.

From what I've recently learnt I personally wouldn't knock Uber until I'd tried it, defo each to their own.