Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 13 Feb 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Malinki
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
Ummm no. And that’s said with no disrespect. Any increase in pay for for the workers should come out of the huge $billion (yes billion $) profits made, not by me having to pay more on my tickets.
Never going to happen with one of the most capitalist companies in one of the most capitalist countries in the world.
Slinky Malinki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Ummm no. And that’s said with no disrespect. Any increase in pay for for the workers should come out of the huge $billion (yes billion $) profits made, not by me having to pay more on my tickets.
That's not how it works.

I realise that's how you want it to work, but when it comes to most businesses they are unlikely to reduce their profits in order to pay their workers more. Because a reduction in profits means the business has not been successful. It's extremely rare for a company to give it's workers a pay rise equal to the rise in profits.

Remember that Disney is neither a non-profit organisation nor a charity, and it's not even a co-operative nor state-owned. It's a private-sector business (= exists to maximise profit).

Also, for info, I believe Disney has recently given many of its workers a $1000 bonus and said it will increase its workers pay by between 6% to 10% over the next 2 years - however this has been rejected by the unions. The CMs still won't be paid much for the job they do, mind you.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
You do realise that that's how businesses work, right? The primary aim of every business is to maximise profits for it's owners and/or shareholders. Disney is no exception.

In addition, they've got to pay for the new rides and lands in some way. Mickey can't just wave his magic wand and make them appear.

I do agree (somewhat) with your point about workers pay though. I think the poor CMs who work at the attractions deserve to be paid more. I think we could all afford to pay a little more for our tickets in order to give them a bigger pay rise.
If you can afford to do that you could give them extra large tips
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ClareO
slightly serious Dibber

ClareO's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Absolutely. I know it’s not how it works but it should. Greed. I’m not doing Disney this time and this helps me seal my decision.
ClareO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
If you can afford to do that you could give them extra large tips
I was mainly talking about the vast majority of workers at the parks who are in untipped positions (many of whom are paid less than those in the tipped positions). I guess I could slip each of the CMs operating IASW a $10 note to get them to turn off the music.

Originally Posted by ClareO View Post
Absolutely. I know it’s not how it works but it should. Greed. I’m not doing Disney this time and this helps me seal my decision.
But it's not like Disney is doing anything different to what almost every other private-sector business does. The airline flying you over to Florida will be making millions in profits and trying to increase those profits. The hotel where you stay will also be maximising profits. Universal is no better than Disney, and will be increasing their ticket prices in the next couple of days. Many employees working for these companies will not be being paid enough. These businesses are all "greedy" in that they are always trying to make more money for their shareholders or owners.

If you don't like how Disney works then that means that you don't like how most private-sector businesses work. Disney just happens to be bigger than most, that's all.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:26 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by JOYCE MOODY View Post
Car parking also gone up to $22 per day
BTW, the last time Disney increased the parking fees was October 2015.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 15 Feb 18, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
ClareO
slightly serious Dibber

ClareO's Reviews
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I was mainly talking about the vast majority of workers at the parks who are in untipped positions (many of whom are paid less than those in the tipped positions). I guess I could slip each of the CMs operating IASW a $10 note to get them to turn off the music.

But it's not like Disney is doing anything different to what almost every other private-sector business does. The airline flying you over to Florida will be making millions in profits and trying to increase those profits. The hotel where you stay will also be maximising profits. Universal is no better than Disney, and will be increasing their ticket prices in the next couple of days. Many employees working for these companies will not be being paid enough. These businesses are all "greedy" in that they are always trying to make more money for their shareholders or owners.

If you don't like how Disney works then that means that you don't like how most private-sector businesses work. Disney just happens to be bigger than most, that's all.
That’s right. I don’t like how most private sector businesses work. That is how it is, we are part of that system. Doesn’t make it right. I could choose to go to Disney and have in the past but I think there is a point when you decide the cost isn’t worth it. If everyone continues to think it is and pays the prices, the very rich will continue to get very much richer. I feel the same about football season tickets but we won’t go there on a Disney forum
ClareO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

I personally don’t care how much profit Disney makes or doesn’t make. It exists to make money, although this cloaked in its ‘wholesome and innocent’ products and parks. I also don’t care how much the cm are paid, they want to work there, they accept the salary, the terms etc no one forces them to work there.
A Disney holiday is a luxury item, its an extravagant trip which no one has to go to, so all the time Disney increase their prices and people pay them, they will continue to increase them. It’s how capatilism works.
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ClareO
slightly serious Dibber

ClareO's Reviews
Very true. I think many of the CMs seem to really want to work there. I sometimes wish I did. Handing out balloons on Main St.

It just seems a shame that some people are being priced out. That said, the parks still seem busier and for me this is the biggest issue when you’ve paid so much.
Old 15 Feb 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ClareO View Post
That’s right. I don’t like how most private sector businesses work. That is how it is, we are part of that system. Doesn’t make it right. I could choose to go to Disney and have in the past but I think there is a point when you decide the cost isn’t worth it. If everyone continues to think it is and pays the prices, the very rich will continue to get very much richer. I feel the same about football season tickets but we won’t go there on a Disney forum
Ah, ok. So you're against capitalism in general. Not specifically Disney? Which is fine and you make a valid point. The vast majority of private businesses - Universal, Virgin, BA, etc - are "greedy" and are making their shareholders richer.

And if you decide to stay at home and not give any of those private businesses - and their rich shareholders - your money then that's all good.

Personally, I have no problem with paying Disney to visit their parks. For me, the cost is worth it. It doesn't matter where I choose to go on holiday most of that money will go to one or more "greedy" companies and, in turn, will make their shareholders richer. So I choose to visit somewhere that I enjoy visiting and that I want to continue to enjoy in the future. I'm against those who complain about how greedy one company is whilst deciding to visit another company instead.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~