Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Feb 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
chris52
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile Year 7 exams

We’re going to Florida on the 5th May 14 nights and would love to take nephew who is 11. He has been through a very traumatic time over the last few weeks and months with his Nanna who lives with them suffering from Alzheimer’s and then his Mum getting cancer and having to have a major operation and now will have to go through Chemo Therapy. It’s a lot for a young kid to deal with and to be able get him away from all this for a couple of weeks of magic would do him the world of good. My kids are all grown up now (but still coming with us) so I’m unsure if year 7’s (first year at secondary school) have exams in May I tried calling the school but they wouldn’t tel me as I don’t have a child in School I don’t want to ask his parents as I don’t want to get there hopes up for him until I know if it’s feasable so any help would be great.
Chris
chris52 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It will depend on the individual school. I'd try emailing the head explaining thefull situation, not only might it get you a better response but it may also avoid the hefty fine his parents will inevitably get.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My dd had exams last May when she was in year 7 and I think all years at her school have them in May as the sports hall is already set up for gcse's. Given what your nephew is going through I would perhaps mention it to his parents and see what they think. They can always talk it over with school without mentioning it to your nephew. It sounds like he could do with the break although again you may want to give him the option once you know if it's possible as he may not want to be away from his family at this time.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
anniewomble
Helping Minnie

Have you tried looking at the school calendar on their website? My son's school has all exams for the whole year and all year groups on their website. My son's school does all year 7 and year 8 exams after GCSE's are over so in late June early July.
anniewomble is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
chris52
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Thanks Guys it was just a thought. I don’t want to take him out of exams it’s a shame because I really think he would benefit from some time away and I know his parents would love him to go as we have talked about it before but he was a bit to young then. Will have a chat with them though and see what they would like to do. How important are year 7 exams?
chris52 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Our children did exams at the end of every school year, but they were mainly to get them used to exams in preparation for their GCSEs. As far as I'm aware, the year 7 ones weren't important, but year 9 was as it helped with their options for year 10. With everything that he's been though, I'd take him for a lovely break personally

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

the fine for unauthorised attendance will come to his parents, so for that reason alone (ie they'll be financially penalised) you really will have to talk to them and discuss it all before you move any further forward with planning to take your nephew. I think its a lovely thing to do, you can always do your side a bit first (ie look into the availability of flights etc to be able to take him with you) but you're also going to have to check he has a valid passport.

I don't recall if my DD had exams in Spring in year 7, she may well have done, but my daughter's school streamed based on results all through the year, not just one exam.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
chris52
Having Dinner with Goofy

The fine would not be a problem I would pay that in a breath. It’s hard to know what impact something like this is having on a young kid I know he is having problems. He is a really nice young man and it’s a lot for him to deal with and this will only get worse when his Mum starts the Chemo with all the sickness and other things that go with it.
Many thanks for all the help guys I will have a chat with them and see what his School think as they are fully aware of what’s going on in his home life.

Edited at 11:11 AM.
Old 20 Feb 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

My children's school don't sit an exam week in year 7 as such but they do sit tests in all lessons just not a dedicated 2 week period for it.

Another locals school does (my friend's children attend that) and I can see that it is the first 2 weeks of June from their online school calendar.

You should be able to access the online school calendar for your nephew. It should be easily accessible, ie you shouldn't need to sign in etc

If it isn't listed on there then I would ring again and explain the situation to the receptionist.

I am really sorry to hear about your family's health issues. My own friend is currently undergoing chemotherapy and she has a daughter in year 7. It has been very difficult.
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Could be fly alone if he got taken to the airport and you met him the other end? That way he could not miss school/exams and still so half the trip with you? I think you can pay for assistance on flights for kids. My son would have managed this fine at that age. My daughter absolutely would not so depends on the child I imagine.