Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Aug 09, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post

You imagine that a lot of Universal execs are phoning each other right now asking "So... did you know Marvel were up for sale? "

Gordon
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
M M
Dibbing with Tink

Seems Disney have managed to take away some of the Harry Potter hype without even building anything
M M is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JulieB01
VIP Dibber

JulieB01's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Disney Marvel

Just seen this on BBC website.
I wonder if this speels the end of Spiderman etc at IOA. I cannot see Disney letting another park make money from something it owns the rights to.
Maybe we will see new rides at Disney now, it will certainly give them a whole new audience to aim for.

I prefer Disney parks to Universal anyway, i think they are much better run and don't rip you off with higher food/drink prices and charges for fastpass. Universal definaltely went down in my opinion when they started charging for that. Sheer profieering

Julie

Welcome to our own Home From Home

4 bed/3 bath Golf Course Villa with Pool and Games Room

Updated carpets and kitchen appliances in 2021

JulieB01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JulieB01 View Post
Juand don't rip you off with higher food/drink prices and charges for fastpass. Universal definaltely went down in my opinion when they started charging for that. Sheer profieering
That's just business though, my Disney ticket this year cost us Ł205 for the 5 day premium even though we will probably only go for 3-4 days. The universal / IOA Ticket cost Ł60 for 7 days unlimited use and we'll go there for atleast 4 days too so adding $19 a day for an Express pass isn't that bad to me. If anything disney is profiteering with the way they handle british guests by only offering tickets that start at around Ł210 for a 5 day ticket , i'd much prefer to see a ticket that is valid for 3 days for around Ł120 or something.

If anything Universal have done those on a budget a favour, they could hike the ticket prices like disney to Ł130 or something but instead you now have the option of a cheap ticket with optional add ons...

As for food, Universal is without question cheaper than disney... and has much better options with having city walk so close, when we bought our tickets from attraction tickets direct Julie gave us the Hard Rock meal vouchers for Ł10 for use at unversal, that's great value considering it includes, meal, drink and tip.

That's my view anyway...
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Both Disney and Universal are large corporations and their business interests extend well beyond the Orlando theme parks! Universal will have contracts in place to secure the rights for a period of time and Im sure Disney have some plans beyond the theme parks! It's going to be interesting to see what happens!

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mrscopeman
Imagineer

As a shareholder I am happy with this, really happy. This is the "boys" thing that everyone was moaning about a few weeks back and show Disney are on the ball. Funnily enough I saw some Marvel stuff in Disney shops, this last week, and did wonder what this meant, so this ties together.
With Own Brood: '07 POFQ | '08 POFQ | '09 SSR | '10 BCR | '11 AKL | '12 OKW | '13 AoA | '14 OKW | '15 UCR/Texas/ASM
mrscopeman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I guess Disney had to announce something huge sooner or later (as i brought up a few weeks back) to rival the hype surrounding The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I didnt think this would be it though!

Im still praying for further announcements on new disney attractions though. I want that Monsters Inc one confirmed and work to commence pronto!

P.S. Do you reckon disney execs read forums like The Dibb for an idea of how guests rate WDW?
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
nickosbad
Earning More Ears

This is NOT good news, Marvel Island is my favourite part of ANY park and I really hope they keep the rides in their current form (I can't see that happening though)

If Disney decide to introduce marvel into their parks then we can all say hello to Extortionate Ticket prices, Massive queues (unless you get there at opening time for a stupid fast pass token) and Hoardes of families with strollers getting in the way blocking the entrances to every ride!

All of these BTW in-case you haven't realised are the reasons I avoid Disney and the reasons why I like the more grown up nature of Universal and IOA!

D.A.G!
nickosbad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz Lear
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Originally Posted by JulieB01 View Post
Just seen this on BBC website.
I wonder if this speels the end of Spiderman etc at IOA. I cannot see Disney letting another park make money from something it owns the rights to.
This is NOT good news, Marvel Island is my favourite part of ANY park and I really hope they keep the rides in their current form (I can't see that happening though)
I think Disney wont change a thing, what would be better for Disney than every dollar that goes through IOA's tills a percentage goes straight into the mouse's pocket?
Gaz Lear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 09, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post

This will have to be a long term investment, ie decades, as Marvel has licensed their characters out pretty wide, eg its Sony who have the rights to Spiderman and Fox has X-Men so before Disney can get their hands on whichever characters they want a few contracts will have to elapse or be bought out... The only "Superhero" to do ok in the short term will be Lawyerman

Gordon