Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 13, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Alamo @ Sanford Airport our experience of picking up hire car with pics

This is our experience of picking up a hire car from Alamo @ Sanford Airport just over 3 weeks ago, I know this may differ from other peoples maybe due to paying for car hire on arrival\full tank of fuel\extras etc.. but hopefully this may be of use to someone picking up a car from them for the first time;

I booked our hire car through Virgin and paid in full for the rental hire before going, had their fully inclusive insurance with 1 free additional driver.

• Did online savetime before going ( be aware this is not the same as online check- in when picking up a car from Orlando International airport), received confirmation email to take with us, this was only a 2 page printout.

• After going through customs and collecting our cases we exited this door...

• Over the crossing to this entrance, enter the building (The Thomson rep office is on the right) , turned right and then turned left through the doors.

• Alamo building straight in front, which is well over 200 yards away ( be ware it will cost you $5 for a luggage trolley if needed)

This is about half way..

• On entering their building there were 2 self check-in kiosk's by the entrance, one out of order the other one working. On using the touch screen self check-in kiosk, I tried scanning the barcode but it didn't work , typed in ref number and I had to enter more or less the same information as when doing online savetime prior to going, so to be honest online savetime was a waste of time in my opinion but this maybe down to the barcode not scanning. After entering all details got to the last page\screen to print out rental agreement---System problem you need to go to the front sales desk, what a waste of time. All our details had to be given to the sales rep again, and you've guessed it he tried selling us everything under the sun but luckily he wasn't too pushy.

• Rental agreement printed out, checked to make sure nothing had been added that we didn't want, estimated charges section said 0.00.

• Went outside to the parking lot, chose a nice Ford Escape from the Intermediate Suv line. On exiting you have to hand in the card that's on the dashboard\car seat , they scan the barcode attached to the window screen. All done...

• On returning the car (holiday over), I filled up at the nearest gas station which was on the corner of N Ronald Reagan Blvd & E Lake Mary Blvd, think it was called Kangaroo Expess. Took the turning on to Red Cleveland Blvd and followed the signs for Rental Car Return.

• Pulled up at Alamo, they scan the barcode on the front window screen, asked how many miles on the clock and fuel level, new receipt printed out, parked the car with keys left in and off you go.

Edited at 01:13 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsbigbeak
Imagineer

This brings back memories going from mco next

1st time POFQ Aug/Sep 2012- 2 weeks -2nd time Rosen inn,POFQ 3 weeks-3rd time NYC,Canada,DC,Rosen inn, Coranado springs 5weeks-4th time Vegas,San Fransisco,Hollywood, Anaheim & NYC 3 weeks - 5th time,Rosen inn international,Disney all star music resort 3 weeks
mrsbigbeak is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

A really neat and informative post. Thank you.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire@Hull
Apprentice Imagineer

Great post! Thanks for the info. Haven't hired from Alamo's new (I say new, its probably old by now) building before but will be this time so it's great to see where we need to go so we can get to the front of the queue! Especially if Savetime Kiosks aren't working!
Old 2 Aug 13, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tina&co
Excited about Disney

Excellent ! Thank you
Old 2 Aug 13, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tina&co
Excited about Disney

Oh can I ask which car rental place is nearest to the terminal?, was the only one there years ago when we went first time
Old 2 Aug 13, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

great thanks, that's put my mind at ease a bit
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Thats really helpful, thank you . This our first time to Sanford so it's good to know in advance where we meant to be going. Also booked car hire through virgin, was going to attempt the save time but don't think I'll bother now.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Just as I remembered it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Thanks for a very thorough and informative post.

Like all the pictures.

We have booked with Alamo Brits.

Presume when you give them card from your chosen car they give you more paperwork to go with rental agreement?

Regards