Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Oct 14, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gazwilliams
Proud to wear my Ears

Using Uber for Taxis in Florida! Highly Recommended

Well we got back a few weeks ago and after an amazing two weeks staying in the Disney bubble for the first time!
We really just did Disney but we had set aside money for Taxis to get to and from Universal.

Then on the morning i remembered the App Uber but didn't no if it had become popular in Florida yet.
I downloaded it and was instantly given $30 free! for being a first time user!
I hit a few buttons and within ten minutes a car was waiting outside our hotel.

Just before you confirm your journey the app gives you a rough estimate on the charge, i believe it was around $16 - $22
which was a great price! and we literally got the ride going for free!

We spoke a lot with the driver who told us Uber has really hit Florida within the last 6 months and has a lot of drivers.
As a first time visitor I felt safer as we didn't need to hand any cash over, it was all done electronically and after we could give a rating to the driver.

He offered us water and a socket for us to charge our phones. Was brilliant service!
With the money we saved we managed to go back to Universal two or three more times which was great! as we did Halloween Horror Night for a second time and did the houses we missed the first time!

We also got a lovely Brazilian lady who warned us against the men who hustle for you to get a taxi outside Universal as there Gypsies and unlicensed and giving us lots of great tips for first time travellers.

I cant rave about Uber enough! a lot cheaper, safer, lovely drivers and service and the free $30 was brilliant!
I then opened another account on my boyfriends phone to get another $30!
Gazwilliams is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto-paul
Imagineer

Have you got a link to them plz.
On FB or number

1999 comfort inn 2001 ASM
2002 & 2004 Nikki Bird
2009 Hawthorn Suites 2012 Embassy suites
2014 Rosen inn Point Orlando
pluto-paul is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post

uber/cities/orlando

Giyf
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
That sounds good. Thanks. We'll need a taxi for Discovery Cove. If you spend more than the $30, how do you top up. I wouldn't want to use my credit card as it will only be the unsecure hotel wifi I would be using.

Also do you tip the driver in cash?
Old 22 Oct 14, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sounds great, I'll definitely check this out.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We will be relying on taxis to get us to universal too and perhaps a walmart shop so thanks for the tip! x
Old 22 Oct 14, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post

I think you have to use a credit card to top up (I don't know that you even have to top up. I've never signed up, but my daughter always orders one for me from the airport. I believe she has a card number on file that they charge for each trip, I sign (on their phone, she get an email receipt)). A tip is included. They aren't taxis they are private people who are willing to give lifts (they have to go through security checks before they can be on the system). They are a cashless system (safer for the passengers and the drivers).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gazwilliams
Proud to wear my Ears

When you sign up with uber they ask you to put in your debit or credit card. You never have to put it again as its attached to your account.

If your fair comes over the free $30 uber just automaticly take out the rest of the money owed pretty much after your journey.
I usually gave a tip in cash to them which the drivers appreciated. But you don't need to.

As its a new service the drivers really go out there way to make you feel comftable.

Price wise it was a lot cheaper than using a regular cab

Edited at 10:20 PM.
Gazwilliams is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Sounds great...is there a code for the $30 credit?
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 14, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gazwilliams
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by purple myra View Post
Sounds great...is there a code for the $30 credit?
I didn't need one, it was just automatically credited when you sign up.
Its basically just a free taxi ride up to the value of $30 as an incentive for first time users.
Was perfect for a free taxi ride from Disney to Universal!
Closed Thread