Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Apr 15, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
CSIDi
slightly serious Dibber

There's a thread in the car Hire section regarding this. There's a link to a story in the Guardian saying we will have to go to DVLA online the day before travel and get a code.

Relax, unwind, get in a flip flop state of mind

CSIDi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Starmum22
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for this! (Didn't even realise there was a car hire forum!)
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Griff_389
Very Serious Dibber

It will not take the rental companies any longer to check a license online than it would to ask you to produce your paper part.
All rental clerks have a pc monitor and keyboard in front of them.
Assuming they have Internet access and aren't a locked down internal machine with access to specific software.
Griff_389 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw1991
Imagineer

So I'm hiring a car in LA and then one in Vegas...am I going to have to get 2 separate codes?
wdw1991 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
twinkies
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry in advance if this is a silly question but what about if you have the old style driving licence, the ones that were issued before the photo one? I have a photo one as well but still have the original paper one from back in the 90's?
Old 26 Apr 15, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wdw1991 View Post
So I'm hiring a car in LA and then one in Vegas...am I going to have to get 2 separate codes?
Good question, we're hiring in Austin and Vegas, presumably we'll both need codes as we'll both be driving?

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Unless I missed it I did not see anything that refers to hiring a car overseas. Assume it refers to hiring a car in the UK

I have never had to show the paper part in all the years we have been going to Orlando so don't see why it would change because of a British government change

Or am I missing something?
Old 27 Apr 15, 05:01 AM  
Link to this Post

You are missing something. Right now you license is not valid unless you can produce both parts, since the paper part carries all the endorsements.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I didn't know a thing about this until I read a post about it in the chat forum.
We are not going this year so hopefully things will be clearer by the time we need to hire a car.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
IronGate
Excited about Disney

I would suspect when the system is up and running live, all the major car hire firms will have access to the database or it'll be done on taking out the hire... sort of like a credit search.

The code thing is a red herring until the system is in place.

Plus, while I appreciate a lot of people are "just in case" - look at the amount of posts that say "we've never shown it" and how many times those people have been/hired cars...

It's not about the weight ("it's only one extra sheet of paper"); it's about taking it over and it potentially getting lost/damaged.

I am heading out on the 15th of June and I don't plan on taking mine or getting a code.

Edited at 12:07 PM.
IronGate is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread