Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Aug 15, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
BIGDENNIS10UK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bLaZeR666_uk View Post
They get the same back ground checks as Mears and other cab drivers. The cars are not private as the drivers are employed by UBER
I doubt they get any background checks at all, seeing as every American based podcast I listen to That has an uber advert says "all you neeed is a car and a license to start work...".

Theyve been caught by the gaurdian for signing up drivers and not checking their insurance in london, it's a dubious company, so be careful.
BIGDENNIS10UK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Jon&Emz
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
we used uber for our switch over day. We requested a ride and had a car turn up within 5 minutes, far faster than anticipated.
The ride, from Rosen inn at the top of i-drive to CBR, took around 15 minutes and cost a total of £6. The driver was perfectly fine and chatty, in fact he was a cast member doing uber on the side for some extra cash. The car was a fairly new Toyota Prius and was immaculate.

My only regret is that I didn't use them more often, as we were caught out with several dubious taxi fares by Mears when travelling from CBR out shopping.

Jon&Emz is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Ballerina
Very Serious Dibber

Ballerina's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I have been in a few dubious taxis in the UK. There are so many who are caught with faulty cars, also with no insurance, where I live. I know of two people who have been attacked by taxi drivers.
The way I see it, there is an online trail to Uber drivers (when is the last time you looked at a taxis number plate or knew the drivers name) so I feel safer. Also because of the online trail at least they have to pay their taxes, as have read the private taxi drivers in the UK are the highest occupation for not paying income tax.
Ballerina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

There are also lots of places in the UK where there are no black cab equivalents, those of us who are from those areas use private hire cars when needed.
Uber is better than that as your driver and car is identified before it reaches you. I have no complaints thus far, using uber this past week.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 15, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Flowertot
Apprentice Imagineer

Flowertot's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Have to agree we used them from hard rock to airport. Requested an xl as we had all our luggage. They arrived within 6 mins, we knew who it was as had a photo, the type and plate of the car. We tracked him arriving and the app showed the route so we knew he didn't go the long way. Arrived at airport, and we could see exactly what we had been charged. Would definitely use them again. The car was clean and new too
Flowertot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 15, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Any one any idea is they carry a child seat?we haves two year old with us when we go next week and just wondering if we will be able to use the company?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 15, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by cheqymouse View Post
Any one any idea is they carry a child seat?we haves two year old with us when we go next week and just wondering if we will be able to use the company?
They probably do - but you'll have to take a chance - not all "real cabs" carry child seats either

Actually - just noticed - you said two year old - do they use a booster or a full child seat? No car I've ever seen carries a full child seat - and I'd never let my child into a borrowed one - they lose structural integrity if involved in an incident - you have no way of knowing if the one your child is in has been affected in this way, if you need a "full child seat" bring your own is the best suggestion
Old 1 Sep 15, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Just ordered a trunki boostapak travel seat on line so problem solved thanks for your help 😄
Old 1 Sep 15, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dazco
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by dvc View Post
It's nothing to do with sour grapes or beng a dinosaur, it's about my familiy's safety for me and I just don't think they're a safe organisation so I won't be using them that's all. Everyone can make their own decisions and this is just mine!
It is sour grapes or being a dinosaur. You expressed your fears and people kindly explained why it is actually safer than a normal cab yet you still refuse to use them.
dazco is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 15, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by cheqymouse View Post
Just ordered a trunki boostapak travel seat on line so problem solved thanks for your help 😄
Not on the original topic but important - cancel your Boostapak order. It is a booster seat, not a car seat.

A booster seat will not protect a 2 year old and it is illegal to use one to transport a 2 year old in Florida or the UK. You need a full car seat type approved for use.

As for Uber, your journey is tracked in an identified car with an identified driver. That's got to be worth something! (use them all the time in the UK, never had a problem, far more courteous than black cab drivers and half the price).
Closed Thread