Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Nov 16, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by dac123 View Post
This is because the cover you get with your car hire is 'Collision Damage Waiver' therefore it covers just that - and damage to these other parts of the car do not normally involve a collision "Alamo have stated this in the reply" .
Collision Damage Waiver - Owner will pay for all loss or damage to the Vehicle.
T&Cs state all damages, not ones specific to collisions. Vandalism is often covered, and that's not a collision. Besides Hertz calls it LDW, so that only covers losses?

My feeling is a lot of people are getting european T&Cs mixed up with americans.

I was just trying to point out their T&Cs do not state whether tires etc. are covered or not, furthermore they state ALL damages are covered. Seems pretty clear cut to me.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Amidude
You are still refusing to refute 17D in general T&Cs
You are the self professed legal expert.
Accident cover to Tyres is covered running over glass ain't.
Please reply with any section from T&C that does because 17D doesn't.
Old 2 Nov 16, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Amidude
You are still refusing to refute 17D in general T&Cs
You are the self professed legal expert.
Accident cover to Tyres is covered running over glass ain't.
Please reply with any section from T&C that does because 17D doesn't.
I never said I was a (self professed) legal expert. What's the point of getting personal? Dude, I am just curious where it states that tires are not covered that's all. I'm done with this conversation, if you can't stay cordial.

17 D pertains to roadside assistance... that's it, not who's liable/ bears financial responsibility.

Edited at 07:57 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Amidude - it's what those of us who've been hiring for over 20+ years have ascertained from contact with the car supplier, hence why the supplier, and separate insurers, offer Excess Reimbursement to cover eventualities involving uninsured loss due to tyre/wheel damage, lost keys, wrong fuel, underside/roof damage and glass. I had ER for 2 years and, touch wood, haven't had any issues when returning a motor with an issue, in particular the Sebring with a cracking wing dent.

Sometimes I think the supplier's desk staff muddy the water, ie: when insisting you need their enhanced roadside cover (aka, my commission is at stake here buddy!). Roadside/breakdown cover is already included, if the motor quits it's their responsibility to take away the pup and give a replacement.

I've always been lucky, never had to push a car suppliers limitations, apart from a slow puncture I've never had glass, roof/underside et al damage. It can seem a bit of a quagmire re what damage they may/will charge the hirer for. Below is a segment from a UK agent within their T&Cs; having been victim to a battery that died I'd be for arguing the flat battery one:

In line with all rental companies, none of the rental companies cover the following items, so you would need to cover these costs yourself:

Flat Battery
Damage caused by putting the wrong fuel type in the car (e.g. putting diesel in a petrol car)
Broken Windows
Tyre replacement (e.g. hitting a curb. Covered if worn)
Key replacement if you loose the key
Roadside assistance if you lock yourself out of the car
Damage to underside of vehicle if you are found to be driving 'off-road' which is not permitted
Damage to the roof of the car if you place goods on the roof
Damage to the interior (caused by spilling drinks, cigarette burns in seats etc)

You can pre-pay for coverage for many of these issues for $2.50 per day at EnhancedRoadsideAssistance
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Mobile

Dude which I am not, sorry if you think it's personal not.
17D clearly states what you purchase for extra in this case none accident tyre damage.
Defacto if not purchased you COULD be liable for a non accident damage.
You are the one who posted you read all included the small print not me.
A forum by definition is about argument and counter argument.
So with greatest of respect refute 17D that non accident damage you are not responsible for.
Old 2 Nov 16, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
I'm confused after reading this thread. There seems to be some debate whether there is exclusions to CDW/LDW in Florida (which are common in Europe and are clearly set out in the T&C ) and Ive tried to find the information on Hertz & Alamo web sites (the companies I'm using for my next two trips) and have not found any exclusions, except for misuse. Also looked at an old Budget rental agreement and found no exclusions.
Perhaps someone could post a link to where the exclusions clause could be found.
Alex

Edited at 10:28 PM. Reason: Clarifying
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Hi
I'm confused after reading this thread. There seems to be some debate whether there is exclusions to CDW/LDW in Florida (which are common in Europe and are clearly set out in the T&C ) and Ive tried to find the information on Hertz & Alamo web sites (the companies I'm using for my next two trips) and have not found any exclusions, except for misuse. Also looked at an old Budget rental agreement and found no exclusions.
Perhaps someone could post a link to where the exclusions clause could be found.
Alex
There are no exclusions other than those listed above and the usual ones such as using it for hire, driving whilst impaired etc etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Hi
Alex
Ali - I listed the exclusions above... these exclusions apply when the damage is done by/whilst the vehicle is in the hirers possession but not if an RTA occurs, at that point one has full CDW coverage. As MrT and myself say, if you have a slow puncture then either top it off every couple of days, or return the vehicle for a replacement.

In 20+ years of hiring I've only had one minor puncture issue and wing dent, neither resulted in a charge placed against me during our 6 consecutive months of hire. For those hiring a couple/few weeks here or there, excess reimbursement, IMHO, isn't something to fret about, but for those who want the additional cover then be advised by Duncan with regards the company he purchases from (never the car supplier, they charge excessively).
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
There are no exclusions other than those listed above and the usual ones such as using it for hire, driving whilst impaired etc etc.
Still confused as the thread has numerous opinions as to what is excluded and not, is glass, roof, undercarriage, tyres? When is an accident not an accident, I would consider accidentally running over a piece of glass an accident other would not. Can't find any mention on the web sites hence the request for a link.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 16, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Ali - I listed the exclusions above... these exclusions apply when the damage is done by/whilst the vehicle is in the hirers possession but not if an RTA occurs, at that point one has full CDW coverage. As MrT and myself say, if you have a slow puncture then either top it off every couple of days, or return the vehicle for a replacement.

In 20+ years of hiring I've only had one minor puncture issue and wing dent, neither resulted in a charge placed against me during our 6 consecutive months of hire. For those hiring a couple/few weeks here or there, excess reimbursement, IMHO, isn't something to fret about, but for those who want the additional cover then be advised by Duncan with regards the company he purchases from (never the car supplier, they charge excessively).
Thank you. I also have over 20+ years renting cars all over the world and I've never seen exclusions for anything thing other than misuse, undercarriage in the US.
Having read this thread I'm was wondering if this is something new in the last two years. I tried to get some evidence from the websites to no avail hence my request for a link.
Alex
Closed Thread