Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 Mar 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

Took dd1 at 4, no pushchair

Dd2 is 8, not a chance.

Get them walking more at home before you go!
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
BufordT
Very Serious Dibber

Doing more walking outside of Orlando does not prepare kids for;

1) Heat
2) Later later nights
3) Crowds
4) Heat
5) Heat

6) Did I mention the heat.

Our next trip we will have no issues as our kids will be a lot older but in 2015 we had a 9 month old, 4 and 6 year old and got a stroller for the younger two and even the 6 year old took a few cat naps. It sometimes is a great way to get around a busy park, Smashing ankles and taking no prisoners.

We got ours from Walmart on day 1 and left them behind at the end.
I do admit the joy of not having to go through the stroller buying/folding/putting up/folding fiasco is behind us. Good luck!
BufordT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

We hired a Disney stroller for one of the days for ds age 6. He got a migraine, didn't want to go back to the hotel but was just really struggling with heat and jetlag. The Disney one was perfect for him as it was big.

Hired one the next day when he'd perked up and it was first class pain in the ass with him jumping in and out (including when it was moving), manouvering, parking it. Thankfully he didn't need it after that but I shouldn't have bothered the 2nd day.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 01:09 AM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Mobile

I may be shot down for saying this but rather than having a stroller for older children due to all the walking-I would be lessening the days to make them not a tiring. Sounds like an over packed itinerary if it’s going to make them that tired.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by parkgirl View Post
I may be shot down for saying this but rather than having a stroller for older children due to all the walking-I would be lessening the days to make them not a tiring. Sounds like an over packed itinerary if it’s going to make them that tired.
That’s what we’ll be doing. My 8 year old has dyspraxia and hypermobile joints so tires easily. We’re going to do what we can with fast passes, ice-cream breaks and taking it at his pace. I’m at peace with the fact that we are not going to see everything but as long as everyone is having fun that’s the main thing.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Last trip kids were 4 and 6. Bought 2 single strollers from Wallmart. They were $50 or $60 each - so not the very cheapest one walmart had.

These were fine. By the end of the 2 weeks they were on their last legs. Biggest problem was actually a couple of times they were left in the car and started to melt.

But worked well for us.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
martyn321
Very Serious Dibber

Would a buggy board be any good?
martyn321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

We are only going for 11 nights rather than the usual 14 so we will not be able to fit in as many rest days as we would normally.
I think the walking isn't an issue as such it is as said in a previous post the heat and the crowds and the late night. My girls are incredibly active at home and do swimming and Rainbows/Brownies and martial arts as well as just running around like lunatics. I would just rather be prepared and have something and not need it rather than need something and not have it.

The buggy board might be an idea but I'm sure they would then argue as to who got to ride it!
thingy003 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by thingy003 View Post
We are only going for 11 nights rather than the usual 14 so we will not be able to fit in as many rest days as we would normally.
I think the walking isn't an issue as such it is as said in a previous post the heat and the crowds and the late night. My girls are incredibly active at home and do swimming and Rainbows/Brownies and martial arts as well as just running around like lunatics. I would just rather be prepared and have something and not need it rather than need something and not have it.

The buggy board might be an idea but I'm sure they would then argue as to who got to ride it!
Exact same story for us. Kids are active, but the heat, tiredness in the first days, even at a slow pace you can still cover several miles every day. Buggies work welll and they are happy.

And totally agree about them arguing. Initially we only got 1 buggy. They were going to take turns. That lasted one day due to arguing. Once we had 2 it was easy. They just chilled in the buggy for any longer walks. Being cheap ones from walmart we were not worried when they got left.

Juat not sure what we will do this year. Oldest is now 7. Not sure he should still get a buggy. But i know what will happen if we only have 1 lol.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

I might opt for 2 cheap buggies thinking about it. It should work out cheaper than 1 cheap double buggy.
thingy003 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List