Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Jan 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I had our credit card bill last week, and it showed we had used a grand total of $8 in tolls during our visit. Excellent, no more than we normally pay but this time we weren't scrabbling around for quarters all the time!
Old 26 Jan 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Thinking of using VTP on my trip next month but hardly ever use the toll roads - here is a rough idea of what my itinerary would be and would appreciate comments as to whether it would be worth getting one or sticking with Alamo and paying the small number of usage days.

Alamo Hire
Day 1 Pick up at airport drive to accommodation
Day 15 Accommodation to airport and back
Day 35 Accommodation to airport

I assume that the toll fees are the same as would be charged through Alamo's transponder just you don't pay the 3 days daily charge for the above scenario. I also realise that should I use toll roads on other days then the saving would be higher.

Many thanks everyone.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Polly
We have a pass bought in Publix I just top it up on line and if no WiFi
Signal in garage just register the hire car on it as soon as I get/to the villa the grown up kids use it too
But on my last visit October to Dec at the airport in Glasgow I realised I’d forgotten it signed up for visitor toll pass then picked up on landing
I hope they extend it especially if the proposed new express toll lanes on the I4 go ahead for our guests it be great
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post
Thinking of using VTP on my trip next month but hardly ever use the toll roads - here is a rough idea of what my itinerary would be and would appreciate comments as to whether it would be worth getting one or sticking with Alamo and paying the small number of usage days.

Alamo Hire

I assume that the toll fees are the same as would be charged through Alamo's transponder just you don't pay the 3 days daily charge for the above scenario. I also realise that should I use toll roads on other days then the saving would be higher.

Many thanks everyone.
You mention a small number of trips to and from where you are staying.

The key to whether a VTP is worth the effort for you is are any of the toll booths unmanned?

If not in your scenario then I would just pay cash. That way there is no Alamo admin fee to pay.

With regards to the VTP the toll charges are very slightly lower than you pay via cash or Plate Pass.

Most of our trips I hit a toll twice. Up the Beachline and down the Beachline! Thats' the lot hence I pay cash.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyCupcake View Post

Alamo Hire

Many thanks everyone.
First of all Alamo cars don't have a built in transponder so you'd automatically trigger Sunpass if you drive through any toll plaza without stopping. But you can choose to pay cash at the vast majority of tolls in the Orlando area.

Where is your accommodation? If it's around Davenport for example the one way journey from MCO using 417 would involve three tolls about $5 each trip.

In my opinion, whilst the VTP is on an admin fee free trial it's a no brainer. Some of the tolls are cheaper than the posted cash rate. For instance leaving the 417 at Osceola cost us 52 cents instead of $1.

It's a 5 minute job to enrol on line and 5 minutes to collect the tag at MCO.

Mick
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Agree with Mick, we generally only do the airport and back but for the very slight inconvenience to register and pick up the pass means you can just drive straight through and not worry.
In 2018 we just paid cash and it was right pain having the coins, driving off the right to pay. One time there was only one toll booth open and the driver in front was taking ages, I hate this.
Then another time the attendant flat out refused to take my money as we had an Avis transponder. We were getting a bit late for returning to airport and I couldn’t argue anymore, so of course I got charged the $19.99 from Avis.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Polly
We have a pass bought in Publix I just top it up on line and if no WiFi
Signal in garage just register the hire car on it as soon as I get/to the villa the grown up kids use it too
We were going to do exactly the same this year as have never been organised enough in the past. Then we came across the toll pass booth and decided to give it a try. At the moment you can still only reserve up until the end of July but it is such a winner for visitors it wouldn't seem to make any sense not to extend it
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

It’s a shame it’s only at MCO at the moment. We are flying in to MCO but out of TPA.
I was trying to work out if it would still be cheaper than Alamo if we didn’t return the toll pass and paid the $10 fine for not returning the pass.
Mpet is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Just to help me keep moving along and not have to move to the right and pay in cash I’ve signed up to it. From what I’ve heard and seen on YouTube it takes less than couple of mins to collect the pass if already signed up. I also tend to only use the tolls back and to the airport. This year I plan on going over to Daytona and coco beach area for the day while my wife and eldest are in discovery cove not sure if I will encounter many tolls heading that way. I will try to see if there is a website anywhere which tells me.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by martyn7836 View Post
Just to help me keep moving along and not have to move to the right and pay in cash I’ve signed up to it. From what I’ve heard and seen on YouTube it takes less than couple of mins to collect the pass if already signed up. I also tend to only use the tolls back and to the airport. This year I plan on going over to Daytona and coco beach area for the day while my wife and eldest are in discovery cove not sure if I will encounter many tolls heading that way. I will try to see if there is a website anywhere which tells me.
This is all you need

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Mick