Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Aug 18, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

Oregon

Has anyone been anywhere in Oregon, preferably nearer to Portland? If so please inspire me, photos, trip reports, advice on what to see and do with a 10yr old in tow. Thank you!

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Grump$
Excited about Disney

I can highly recommend geoffa's (RIP)" in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark" located in the California and west coast trip reports section, a very informative and well written trip report that Geoff was famous for.
Grump$ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by janey2000 View Post
Has anyone been anywhere in Oregon, preferably nearer to Portland? If so please inspire me, photos, trip reports, advice on what to see and do with a 10yr old in tow. Thank you!
No trip report I am afraid but we loved Oregon. We went as part of a road trip from Vancouver down through Washington to Portland and then back up to Vancouver Island.

Portland is the most laid back city in the US. Explore the shops, visit the Zoo and head out to Columbia River Gorge to look at the views from the top and the water falls at the bottom. Couple of photos attached.

Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

If you go on You Tube and search The Endless Adventure (which is the channel) and Portland they did a few vlogs there earlier in the year, focus is usually on the food (donuts if I recall correctly!)
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post

No trip report from me either, but we mostly loved what we saw in Oregon. ( we also did the Vancouver/ Seattle/ North Cascades/ Winthrop Route ).

We were slightly hampered by forest fires in Oregon so didn’t get to see the Columbia river Gorge at its best , but we loved river rafting on the White Salmon River, visiting Mount Hood area, staying at Hood River. Also stayed at Mcmenamins Kennedy school in Portland which I highly recommend. It was fabulous, a wee cinema, soaking pool and great quirky bars. We stayed in an old classroom. Awfully smoky when we were in Portland but we visited the zoo which was up a hill so out of the main fug and we loved it. Did find the homeless situation the worst in all the cities we’d visited here though.

Favourite place was definitely the coast but we didn’t really have long enough.

Cannon Beach was lovely and we walked at the state park right next to it.

Stayed in Astoria at the Cannery Pier hotel and cycled along the cycle path in Astoria. This was one place we felt we could have spent much more time. Great places to eat and just lovely. Check it out. Also a couple of really nice State Parks near here esp the Lewis and Clarke one as it’s the end place of their historic journey.

And if you can I’d highly recommend the North Cascades and ending up in Winthrop in Washington. The mountains were amazing, hardly any tourists from out of the Washington area, felt really like an undiscovered area. We loved it and would go back in a heartbeat.

Check out the trip reports on Trip advisor.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Hollytigs
Imagineer

We were a bit further south in Eugene, and went to the Willamette River / Forest area. It was beautiful!

Edited at 10:24 PM.
Hollytigs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

We did Seattle to San Francisco and it was probably our best road trip ever! Just adored Oregon and Washington state too. So clean and green. Loved Portland and the Columbia River Gorge, then we went down to Crater Lake (lots of snow!) and on to California.

I did a trip report. Here's the index https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=966569

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Love Oregon and Portland.

Portland - we stay at the Marriott Pearl District. Walkable to everywhere downtown and near the Streetcar. The public transport is really good.
The main tourist info office downtown has incredibly helpful staff and you can by transit passes there as well.

Some of our favourite things in Portland:
Powell's books - a bookstore so big they give you a map
Chinese garden - a little oasis in the middle of the city
Picton Mansion - a fabulous house with stunning views of the city
Court House - the Federal Court house has a really good museum on the history of Portland and a Glass Lookout you can go up. It is a working court so you will need your passport to go in and it depends if court is in session
Food Trucks - all over Portland
Saturday Market - a Portland institution
Portland Art Museum - small but with a very nice selection
Donuts - avoid Voodoo Donuts - not worth the line - Blue Star Donuts are amazing (and I don't even like donuts!)
Ice Cream - Salt and Straw have hands down the best Ice Cream ever
Alberta Avenue - loads of Murals painted on the buildings - lots of great shops and places to eat including one of our favourites Bollywood Theatre.
Portland Zoo
If your 10 year old is into Video Games - Ground Kontrol - old school arcade games. If you or they are into tale top or RPG games - Guardian Games the best gaming store my gaming mad husband has ever been to.
OMSI - the museum of science and industry - hands on kid friendly.

Tours - there are all sorts of tours you can go on -including tours along the river, walking tours, food tours etc etc.

My husband is big on his craft beer which Portland is famous for so he was in his element - I love Gin so we hopped around the Distillery District - probably not doable with a 10 year old though.

We also love the coast - which is stunning We stayed in Cannon Beach which was lovely. I have loads of photos - not sure how to post them
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List