Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 25 Oct 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My friend came with us and watched Suits on his. We went off and did the shark and dolphin swim and he kindly watched my DD.
Its a completely immersive relaxing day. He doesn't need to swim to enjoy it.
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
Why not discuss it with him? He may be more than happy to sit on the side and watch you both experience it and then take part in things he’s comfortable doing.
Yes, we already have discussed it! The thing is he is happy to do it (especially to make me happy as he knows I really want to), but as neither of us have been it is difficult to assess what it will really be like for him - how much there will really be that he is comfortable with. As much as he wants to make me happy, I don't want to give him an unhappy day either, hence asking for advice

Originally Posted by Merryweather View Post
As a non-swimmer I would say yes, it is worth it! They limit the number of people so it is a great way to relax away from the crazy theme parks! I sat on a sunbed, or on a rock in very shallow water and enjoyed the peace, the sun, the drinks and snacks and spent some time in the aviary with my son-in-law (my DD doesn't like birds) - really enjoyed it!
Originally Posted by orlandonewbie View Post
We were there yesterday with my mum who doesn’t swim. She sat and read a book on the beach and took photos of us meeting the dolphins. She also made use of the all inclusive breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks. She loved it and I don’t think she needed her swimsuit with her for how wet she got!
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I'm also a non swimmer and have enjoyed a day at Discovery Cove in the past. I will 'paddle' but also sat on the beach and read and enjoyed the free food. I was able to film the dolphin experience of the rest of my family from dry land. Whilst I love to watch them from a distance, I have no desire to be that close to a dolphin (or any other sea creature) so it suited me fine.
Originally Posted by limmy View Post
My friend came with us and watched Suits on his. We went off and did the shark and dolphin swim and he kindly watched my DD.
Its a completely immersive relaxing day. He doesn't need to swim to enjoy it.
All sounds good - especially people not getting wet at all but still enjoying it as that will definitely be him! Thanks all
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

my DD will be exactly the same next week on our DC day OP, she has no intention of going anywhere near the water but she loves taking photos and it looks like she will have loads of opportunities for that . I know she'll be on those warm cookies which are included free as snacks as well.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm a bit different here because I'm also a very fearful non swimmer. I personally wouldn't waste the money for me to go again (if money isn't an object I'd say if your DH is fine just chilling then go for it!)
We rented a cabana and I chilled in there for the morning and walked around the aviary which killed about half an hour. I was bored out of my mind after that as everything else is in quite deep (for me) water areas. I sound well miserable here haha, if he's happy going to a water park I'd say it's the same but a bit posher 🤣
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
my DD will be exactly the same next week on our DC day OP, she has no intention of going anywhere near the water but she loves taking photos and it looks like she will have loads of opportunities for that . I know she'll be on those warm cookies which are included free as snacks as well.
Look at your countdown! Hope your daughter enjoys DC!

Originally Posted by Hirtleburger View Post
I'm a bit different here because I'm also a very fearful non swimmer. I personally wouldn't waste the money for me to go again (if money isn't an object I'd say if your DH is fine just chilling then go for it!)
We rented a cabana and I chilled in there for the morning and walked around the aviary which killed about half an hour. I was bored out of my mind after that as everything else is in quite deep (for me) water areas. I sound well miserable here haha, if he's happy going to a water park I'd say it's the same but a bit posher 🤣
Thanks for this perspective. You sound similar in your level of water dislike! My husband has come along to a water park, and would sit in the shade, mind the bags and read or code on his laptop. BUT, we would only go to a waterpark for a couple of hours for this reason - which is fine at Disney where admission is covered by ultimate tickets. Obviously we can't pay all that money for DC and only pop along for a couple of hours.

If DC weren't so expensive then we'd do it in a heartbeat (and probably balance it by me having to go along with some add on tours at KSC!). I'm dithering due to the fact that it will be a significant chunk of time at significant cost!

Perhaps I will have to see what sort of ticket offers come up over Black Friday and Christmas.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
i am not quite a non-swimmer but am not brilliant and still really love DC. Only done the dolphin bit once and enjoyed it - they made allowances for my lack of swimmage ability and it was fine. However even though we enjoyed it, we all agree that we are happy to carryon going to DC without the dolphin option. Mentioned it before but for me the real highlight occurred on our third visit once i used the prescription goggles that they supply on request and then (basically) just put my head underwater in the reef area. Fabulous. Can really see the attraction of proper reef/scuba diving having seen the fish etc up close and underwater.
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Caroian View Post
Look at your countdown! Hope your daughter enjoys DC!

Thanks for this perspective. You sound similar in your level of water dislike! My husband has come along to a water park, and would sit in the shade, mind the bags and read or code on his laptop. BUT, we would only go to a waterpark for a couple of hours for this reason - which is fine at Disney where admission is covered by ultimate tickets. Obviously we can't pay all that money for DC and only pop along for a couple of hours.

If DC weren't so expensive then we'd do it in a heartbeat (and probably balance it by me having to go along with some add on tours at KSC!). I'm dithering due to the fact that it will be a significant chunk of time at significant cost!

Perhaps I will have to see what sort of ticket offers come up over Black Friday and Christmas.
Yeah it's a lot of cash to waste on sitting around, it is gorgeous mind you but very much not catered towards people who are frightened of water, even the otters are in a swim up bit with no bottom. It's a bit different for non swimmers in that they give out life vests and there's some knee high and waist high areas.
If my family wanted to go again I'd probably try and save the money and go do something solo, I hope you find a bargain!
I feel your DHs pain btw, I nearly drowned when I was little and now just the smell of chlorine gives me the willies, luckily Florida don't seem to use the smelly stuff 🤣

Edited at 05:10 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Would your husband enjoy seaworld OP? It’s literally across the road and you don’t pay parking at DC, so he could come in to eat and then use his ticket to access SeaWorld for a few hours (usually included with DC ticket) and come back.
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bigseve
Imagineer

I’m a non-swimmer with a bit of a fear of the water too and we’ve done Discovery Cove 3 times now. First time it was just me and DW, last twice included DS.

I absolutely love Discovery Cove. We get there fairly early, have a nice breakfast and then look for 3 loungers in the sun. DW & DS lie for a bit and then disappear to go snorkelling and do the lazy river. Then they come back for the dolphin swim and I stand around the edge taking photos. The looks on their faces always make me happy. Then we go for lunch and I go back to the lounger while they have another go on the lazy river.

It should be said though that I’m the kind of person that loves doing nothing, I don’t get bored ever. So much so that I even love the flights. When else can you sit doing nothing for 8 hours and not get moaned at?
bigseve is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hirtleburger View Post
Yeah it's a lot of cash to waste on sitting around, it is gorgeous mind you but very much not catered towards people who are frightened of water, even the otters are in a swim up bit with no bottom. It's a bit different for non swimmers in that they give out life vests and there's some knee high and waist high areas.
If my family wanted to go again I'd probably try and save the money and go do something solo, I hope you find a bargain!
I feel your DHs pain btw, I nearly drowned when I was little and now just the smell of chlorine gives me the willies, luckily Florida don't seem to use the smelly stuff 🤣
The money really is a big part of the issue - if it didn't cost so much we'd definitely just do it. My husband will be pleased to hear he's not alone - as far as I know no near drowning, but it's a genuine phobia that doesn't seem that common!

Originally Posted by orlandonewbie View Post
Would your husband enjoy seaworld OP? It’s literally across the road and you don’t pay parking at DC, so he could come in to eat and then use his ticket to access SeaWorld for a few hours (usually included with DC ticket) and come back.
Yes, we've done Seaworld before. In fact the tickets including Seaworld is a big attraction. We missed Mako by a month on our last visit and are keen to do it. Not sure we'd bother with Seaworld just for that though, but doing DC would make it make sense... except for the water fear thing! You could be on to something with this though as if he could leave and come back to DC (is this possible) he could nip out to ride all of the coasters. As our son is too small to ride most of the SW rides, it would make sense for him to do that and then could ride them on a return visit whilst my husband and son watch a show or something. Might work...

Originally Posted by bigseve View Post
I’m a non-swimmer with a bit of a fear of the water too and we’ve done Discovery Cove 3 times now. First time it was just me and DW, last twice included DS.

I absolutely love Discovery Cove. We get there fairly early, have a nice breakfast and then look for 3 loungers in the sun. DW & DS lie for a bit and then disappear to go snorkelling and do the lazy river. Then they come back for the dolphin swim and I stand around the edge taking photos. The looks on their faces always make me happy. Then we go for lunch and I go back to the lounger while they have another go on the lazy river.

It should be said though that I’m the kind of person that loves doing nothing, I don’t get bored ever. So much so that I even love the flights. When else can you sit doing nothing for 8 hours and not get moaned at?
I love doing nothing too! My husband is a software engineer and so his down time involves coding, which obviously requires a laptop - not sure this would really work at DC! He would enjoy the time to sit down without our son desperately wanting him to play (we're going through a Daddy is favourite phase right now and the poor guy gets little peace!)

I think it may well come down to how good a deal I can get on tickets!