Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Oct 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
motherofthree
Trying for More Ears

Flying To and From San Diego in August - Help With 16 Day Itinerary

We are a family of 5 who have booked flights to and from San Diego in August next year. We booked the flights in the Virgin Atlantic sale a couple of weeks ago and got a great price for the five of us, flying from Heathrow with one stop-over each way. We will be away for 17 nights in total and we would like some help to come up with a suitable itinerary. We have never been to California before. We are thinking of either doing San Diego - Palm Springs - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - LA, or to book another internal flight to San Fran and drive down to San Diego on the PCH, stopping at Monteray, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Anaheim and San Diego. What would you advise? Is Las Vegas and Palm Springs too hot in August, and too unchildfriendly? What's the advantage of starting in San Fran and drive south, instead of starting in San Diego and drive north, when driving on the PCH? Many thanks.

Edited at 12:24 PM.
motherofthree is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

16 nights starting in San Diego with kids, I'd stick to SoCal.

4-5 nights in San Diego as there is plenty to see there
2 nights Palm Springs
1 night Grand Canyon South rim
3 nights Las Vegas
2-3 nights North LA for Hollywood / Universal / Warner Bros etc
3 nights Anaheim for Disney
Drive to San Diego for your flight home

That pretty much takes all your time up and limits the driving as much as possible, although there are still some big drives in there.

I would save the San Fran (3-4 nights), Yosemite (2-3 nights), PCH (3-4 nights) for another trip. We prefer north to south for PCH as you are on the right side of the road for the views.

Edited at 10:58 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Wow! That is an awful lot of driving in 16 days.. I very much prefer your drive to SFO plan B.

Firstly, many prefer N to S on the PCH as it places them in the right hand lane closest to the coast and thus gives them uninterrupted views out of their right hand windows.

We were there in Easter and simply drove San Francisco, Castle AFB, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Simi Valley, Annaheim, San Diego, Long Beach, Santa Monica, LAX. Bearing in mind that we didn't pick up the car until 4 out of 14, we drove app 1200 miles. Easter is much quieter than high summer and despite this, the traffic was horrendous, particularly around LA.

I appreciate that you are committed to arrival and departure from San Diego and you must bear in mind that I have neither interest or experience of Las Vegas when I make an alternative suggestion for a plan that may cover most bases. It is an alternative to that of 400IXL, (that plan looks equally good), but drops San Francisco and the PCH in order to retain Las Vegas. Only you know which you want the more!

My suggestion...You fly into San Diego and then fly straight up to San Francisco. (I would be guessing at around £60pp and from that you can subtract 4 days of car hire and parking charges in SFO). You will not need a car in SFO as you can get the BART from the airport into town, car parking charges are extortionate, and in any case you simply do not need it! You spend 3 days in SFO (that is about average) and then pick up a car on your last morning from AVIS/Budget, Union Sq. The facility is just a couple of blocks from the Bay Bridge and out of town. That makes things real easy.

You plan a route taking in all the things that you listed as desirable whilst you go N to South on the PCH. Remember that Monterey to Santa Monica is 400 or so miles and you may well overnight en route.

You finish with several days in San Diego, an awesome city that is really relaxing after the ordeals of LA before flying home.

Further reading that may help.

As many trip reports as you can...Mine is 'California N to South at Easter written live and with pictures'. It pretty much covers what you intend doing (SFO plan). It covers both good and bad planning, experiences whilst being written each evening when my memory was fresh.

'AIMS' sticky on San Diego. I found that really helpful.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:05 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
motherofthree
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
16 nights starting in San Diego with kids, I'd stick to SoCal.

4-5 nights in San Diego as there is plenty to see there
2 nights Palm Springs
1 night Grand Canyon South rim
3 nights Las Vegas
2-3 nights North LA for Hollywood / Universal / Warner Bros etc
3 nights Anaheim for Disney
Drive to San Diego for your flight home

That pretty much takes all your time up and limits the driving as much as possible, although there are still some big drives in there.

I would save the San Fran (3-4 nights), Yosemite (2-3 nights), PCH (3-4 nights) for another trip. We prefer north to south for PCH as you are on the right side of the road for the views.
Thank you for this info. My main worry is that Las Vegas and Palm Springs will be unbearably hot in August, and that there won't be much to do for kids in Vegas.
motherofthree is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
motherofthree
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Wow! That is an awful lot of driving in 16 days.. I very much prefer your drive to SFO plan B.

Firstly, many prefer N to S on the PCH as it places them in the right hand lane closest to the coast and thus gives them uninterrupted views out of their right hand windows.

We were there in Easter and simply drove San Francisco, Castle AFB, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Simi Valley, Annaheim, San Diego, Long Beach, Santa Monica, LAX. Bearing in mind that we didn't pick up the car until 4 out of 14, we drove app 1200 miles. Easter is much quieter than high summer and despite this, the traffic was horrendous, particularly around LA.

I appreciate that you are committed to arrival and departure from San Diego and you must bear in mind that I have neither interest or experience of Las Vegas when I make an alternative suggestion for a plan that may cover most bases. It is an alternative to that of 400IXL, (that plan looks equally good), but drops San Francisco and the PCH in order to retain Las Vegas. Only you know which you want the more!

My suggestion...You fly into San Diego and then fly straight up to San Francisco. (I would be guessing at around £60pp and from that you can subtract 4 days of car hire and parking charges in SFO). You will not need a car in SFO as you can get the BART from the airport into town, car parking charges are extortionate, and in any case you simply do not need it! You spend 3 days in SFO (that is about average) and then pick up a car on your last morning from AVIS/Budget, Union Sq. The facility is just a couple of blocks from the Bay Bridge and out of town. That makes things real easy.

You plan a route taking in all the things that you listed as desirable whilst you go N to South on the PCH. Remember that Monterey to Santa Monica is 400 or so miles and you may well overnight en route.

You finish with several days in San Diego, an awesome city that is really relaxing after the ordeals of LA before flying home.

Further reading that may help.

As many trip reports as you can...Mine is 'California N to South at Easter written live and with pictures'. It pretty much covers what you intend doing (SFO plan). It covers both good and bad planning, experiences whilst being written each evening when my memory was fresh.

'AIMS' sticky on San Diego. I found that really helpful.
Thank you for this information. My main worry is that we will be absolutely shattered if we are flying Heathrow - Salt Lake City (the stopover city) - San Francisco in one day! Perhaps better to spend a night in San Diego before flying to San Fran, if we decide to do this route? It's useful to know that we won't need a car in San Fran. Yes, if we do this route we will break up the driving down the PCH with a stop in Avila Beach after Monterrey and before Santa Barbara. I will see if I can find your trip report, haven't used thedibb before to read trip reports...
Old 28 Oct 18, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

It is hot, but its a very dry heat. The areas are used to it, so has adapted and most places are air conditioned.

There is loads for kids in Vegas, especially if you get off the strip itself. Horse back riding with a cowboy town and petting zoo at Bonnie Springs with Red Rock Canyon just up the road. Various Discovery TV show locations including Pawn Stars, Counts Kustoms, American Restoration, Tanked etc. Neon Museum, Shelby Museum, Mob Museum, Atomic Museum. Then you have all of the sites on the strip itself, so more than enough to fill a number of days quite easily.

If you are coming across from the Grand Canyon then you can spend time at the hoover dam. Going from Vegas towards LS you can take a whole day and go via Death Valley.

So much to see and do that can accommodate kids of most ages.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Great flight prices weren’t they? Wish we had those this year when we went!
Yes hot but not unbearable. I agree with stick to SoCal and save SF for another time. That’s what we did and San Diego was FAB with kids (as were PS, LV and LA /Anaheim but the temperatures in SD were wonderful and so much to do.
I did a highs and lows report on this part of the forum covering what we did this August
Happy planning
flo-tinka is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Thank you for this info. My main worry is that Las Vegas and Palm Springs will be unbearably hot in August, and that there won't be much to do for kids in Vegas.
We were there in August this year and had 2 children in our group (8 and 5). It was hot but it certainly wasn't unbearable. Most places have good air con and there are water misters in some areas. The kids didn't complain about the heat at all and my nephew (now 6) loved Vegas so much he wants to go back when he's 21!
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

palm springs will be 100+ in august and a dry heat. even in the pool you have to limit your time as the sun is strong. But we spent a couple of days here with my son and he was happy. We went up on the cable car and the area on top is in the low 80 and lovely for walking etc. In palm springs there are activities you can plan. They have some great restaurants and our son was welcomed in all of them. We particualrly liked the Thursday evening villagefest.
Vegas also will be hot but only outside and my son really liked the place. Find a hotel with a great pool area and you'll be fine.
We did a LA, vegas, Palm springs, San diego ,Anaheim loop. which is similar to you plan. For the gran canyon we splurged and did helicopter from vegas , which was well worth it and a great experince for kids.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List