Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 19, 03:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Having come full circle i.e. Kids and now their kids
' don't care where we eat just feed them ( they have the Hangrys like there Dars ) the life saver Golden Corral can be
A monarch flight way to us a lady suffering a miss carriage same holiday way home a gentleman with a heart attack
Now I don't get out my seat ion the plane till an hour before landing
The above I( nurse ) sat on my hands but both ways DH voulenteered me
The gentleman with the heart attack the pulot saying it's your call
We now dump full and land on a military base in Newfoundland or continue
Me and the other nurse on board almost screamed at him get this *****plane on the ground we'd got him back twice
Notbefore they had unloaded DH all ourbags and I'd done a shed load of paperwork
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 19, 03:44 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I went to Splendid China years ago with my Mom and grandparents when I met up with them for a week. I was living in the UK at the time while they were in New York and Cape Cod. It seems surreal that I now live within sight of what is now Margaritaville.

Those grandparents were actually at MK the day after it opened. It wasn't even planned they just happened to be in Florida at the time!

My first visit was in 1976. We drove from New York in a VW Campervan and stayed in Jellystone Campground. I think it is now the site of the huge Westgate on Turkey Lake Road. Back then it was surrounded by orange groves. The next year we stayed at Fort Wilderness which was the height of luxury for a campground back then. We did MK, Sea World, Bush Gardens and River Country. There really wasn't much else besides Gatorland but it still filled a week.
Old 29 Oct 19, 03:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
' don't care where we eat just feed them ( they have the Hangrys like there Dars ) the life saver Golden Corral can be
A monarch flight way to us a lady suffering a miss carriage same holiday way home a gentleman with a heart attack
Me and the other nurse on board almost screamed at him get this *****plane on the ground we'd got him back twice
Notbefore they had unloaded DH all ourbags and I'd done a shed load of paperwork
Helen, sounds like a long car trip when I was a child and my dad managed to find 3 serious car accidents to help at within days. He was a Physician's Assistant and had been a fireman and surgical corpsman in the Navy. He always had a field medical bag in the car and was incapable of driving past.
Old 29 Oct 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by paw View Post
1989, on our first trip, we went up to Church Street Station. We came off the I4 and DH took the wrong lane so we drove around the outside of the carpark and ended up in a housing estate. Gangs of men sitting on the kerbs, some with guns in their hands, we were the only white faces and they all stood and watched us. Told the children to lock their doors and get down and DH not to stop to turn around. We just drove in a straight line until we felt safer.

We used to love Gander. It meant we were nearly there. In more recent years the music getting off the plane - Coming to America - always sent a shiver up my spine. Haven’t noticed it recently.
Sure that wasn’t national lampoons vacation you are remembering

Old 30 Oct 19, 04:17 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
That's some serious in-flight 'entertainment,' but yikes! Hopefully the casualties (both ways) were grateful you were able to lend a hand.

(And it's interesting that Golden Corral has completely taken over from Ponderosa as the buffet of choice for British visitors!)
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 19, 04:26 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I went to Splendid China years ago with my Mom and grandparents when I met up with them for a week. I was living in the UK at the time while they were in New York and Cape Cod. It seems surreal that I now live within sight of what is now Margaritaville.

Those grandparents were actually at MK the day after it opened. It wasn't even planned they just happened to be in Florida at the time!

My first visit was in 1976. We drove from New York in a VW Campervan and stayed in Jellystone Campground. I think it is now the site of the huge Westgate on Turkey Lake Road. Back then it was surrounded by orange groves. The next year we stayed at Fort Wilderness which was the height of luxury for a campground back then. We did MK, Sea World, Bush Gardens and River Country. There really wasn't much else besides Gatorland but it still filled a week.
Great to hear about a visit from so far back That's a LOT of Orlando memories right there! And, yes, there were also a LOT of orange groves up until about the mid-90s, when the development really went into overdrive.

PS: Good to see another 'local' resident
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List