Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Oct 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

This has long been an issue in our family! You know its bad when the kind lady from your bank comments how much you are spending in supermarkets...
There are 4 of us and 2 pets (the dog though eats raw and that is ordered separately from our shopping).
Probably about £200 a week, sometimes more sometimes less. I am a bit of a food snob and stick to waitrose, M&S, tescos and pretty much premium brands for everything. This harks back to my childhood issues which I wont go into on here
This also doesnt include eating out and take aways which we do once or twice a week. Also doesn't include £30 a week for kids school/college lunches
I know there are many ways I can reduce the cost but don't currently want to commit to them. The main thing is to plan and do a weekly shop instead of most days. And cut the booze

Edited at 06:19 PM.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
We, two of us eat quite healthily, hardly ever eat a take away and try not to eat out very often. I am trying to work out how much we spend on food in a week.

It's hard to work out because I do a big online store cupboard shop every six weeks or so and then shop as we go along along though we always have fish and chicken in the freezer.

I cook from scratch so we dont buy any processed foods. I think we probably spend about £120 per week but I'm going to start making careful notes

Is this amount about average do you think?
WOW, that’s a lot of money for just 2 of you
We probably spend £50 a week tops for me & Hubble, I write a list & try & stick to it, will power as I think whatever savings I make at end of month can go in the money pot for holidays
I make a monthly list of dinners too, this is to help with the budget, but mainly just incase the Hubbie says “ didn’t we just have that last week for dinner ?” I pull out my monthly plan for proof 🙊🙊🙌🙌
Edited to say all bits like toothpaste toilet rolls washing powder I get at Wilkomain shop at Tesco, then bits at Aldi too

Edited at 06:18 PM.
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

On Eat Well For Less this week they said the U.K. weekly average for 2 people is about £60.
Just us 2 adults here and we spend around £50 a week for all food/cleaning/washing stuff so £120 to me sounds like a lot!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it’s a lot too - I spend that or less with five of us - four adults and a 17 year old along with a dog and cat .
Old 19 Oct 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Air Hercs
Helping Mickey

Mobile

7 of us ( 1 away at University) and 4 cats, we aim to be £150 or under per week including pet food. All of us have a packed lunch for work/school in that too but if I have a Costa coffee it comes out of my own spends.
Air Hercs is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Have you tried simply cook? It’s much cheaper as it’s just the herbs and spices and the recipes are really good.
Full price is a tenner for 4 recipes, but if you go to cancel it’s only 7.99 if you say you are cancelling on price. You also get a free box to everyone you recommend.
I have a code for 4 meals for £1 if anyone fancies trying it, I find it so good as you aren’t tied to cooking it when the box comes, and you aren’t overpaying and paying P&p on an onion 😂
Really has improved my weekly menus
I’d be interested to try, if that’s okay, please?
Old 19 Oct 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We put away £200 a month for food shopping, but to be honest we probably spend another £50 in groceries.

This doesn’t include eating out or take aways - which we are getting better at but we still have them!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Unexpectedpenny View Post
On Eat Well For Less this week they said the U.K. weekly average for 2 people is about £60.
Just us 2 adults here and we spend around £50 a week for all food/cleaning/washing stuff so £120 to me sounds like a lot!
I applied for eat well for less and we done an interview with them this year. We got refused to go any further which I always found strange as I have them my honest accounts. Maybe it was just us 🙄🤔🤣
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

5 of us here and mainly cook from scratch, spend on average £80 a week (sometimes up to £100 but not very often).
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
I applied for eat well for less and we done an interview with them this year. We got refused to go any further which I always found strange as I have them my honest accounts. Maybe it was just us 🙄🤔🤣
Oh wow! You were probably too normal for them! I think they only really pick people on the extreme scale. Like this weeks couple who basically only bought sugar and a previous family who spent about £20,000 a year on food!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List