Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluegirl5353
Trainee Dibber

Paying to reserve seats on flight

Hi Dibbers, please can anyone tell me if it is worth paying to have reserved seats? We're planning on flying Virgin Atlantic next Aug direct to Orlando and I'm trying to decide if its worth the money or whether we can wait and checkin online and still sit together. We will have 3 children with us. Thanks for any help!x
Bluegirl5353 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Toria_dee
VIP Dibber

It's totally subjective.

For me, it's not worth the risk of the 5 of us being separated on the flight.

x

DLP Cheyenne 1999, Day trip 2001, DCR 2011, Cheyenne 2014, DCR 2015, DCR 2023
Lapland Dec 2024
WDW Dibb villa July 2017
First time on-site CSR March 2025
Toria_dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
This subject will always cause an argument so be prepared for lots of forthright answers !
I haven't booked seats but my children are older and we aren't that bothered. If your children are younger then are you happy for them to sit next to a stranger for 9 hours ? What happens in an emergency and you are not with them ? August will be busy so it's up to you to make the choice but be prepared to not be sat together if you don't pay and don't expect others to move for you. I totally begrudge paying for a seat but with children unfortunately it's a necessary evil.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Travelling peak season , no guarantees you wouldn't get split up into at best 1 adult with 1 child and the other with two ... or if older kids split up further. It's the busiest time of year so a gamble.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
caa/Passengers/On-...ng-allocation/

Families, children and infants

The seating of children close by their parents or guardians should be the aim of airline seat allocation procedures for family groups and large parties of children.

Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.

Whenever a number of infants and children are travelling together the airline should make every effort to ensure that they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adults.
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

"Should" and "when possible" doesn't mean they will, especially on a full flight with possibly a lot of families who have paid for the certainty.

It's a gamble especially in August .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We always pay for long haul seats together. Even though our DD is a teenager we feel 9 hours sitting by strangers isn't worth the risk and prefer to pay.
However for shorter flights, we don't pay as we wouldn't mind too much if seated apart for a few hours. We usually find we are still seated together or at worst, 2 together and the other across the aisle or just behind/in front
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 17, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

Short haul, no way. Long haul, pay every time, I want to sit with my travelling companions on a long haul flight, but short haul, who cares, we'll be there in the time it takes to read the newspaper...
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 17, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

I pay for ours. I wouldn't want to risk being sat apart, as we enjoy a drinkie, and chatting about our holiday plans. I also like to choose where we sit as I wouldn't want a middle row .
Old 19 Sep 17, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
memphis69
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Always go peak season never pay and always get seats together.
memphis69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List