Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile New puppy-struggling

So about 10 days ago we bought home our new puppy. My son, aged 11 is an only child, and in his words ‘the puppy is the best thing that has ever happened to him’. They are forming a wonderful bond. I have to add...the puppy is super cute.

I have never owned a dog and never had a family pet when I was young...and I am struggling. I am struggling to play with him as play just turns into biting. I am finding it hard to get anything done around the house as the puppy needs constant watching... not helped by the fact the house is now an absolute mess! I am constantly questioning if I am doing the right thing in my approach to training, feeding etc... I am struggling to know if he is happy.

He is having his second injections
Next week and I feel that in 2 weeks time I will feel better. I am getting really bad cabin fever staying home at the mom and can’t wait to get him out walking.

I guess I am finding this a lot harder than I had imagined, and I am ashamed to say it as he is so cute!
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

It is hard work, no doubt about it. It’s finding a routine that works for you all, are you using a dog crate?

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lorrie36 View Post
It is hard work, no doubt about it. It’s finding a routine that works for you all, are you using a dog crate?
Thanks for understanding. We are using a dog crate, and he happily takes himself into bed and nap times. I also pop him in there if I need to pop out and he is left alone. If there is a cross over of me going to work and hubby coming home he is sometimes in there for an hour or so. I am reluctant to put him in there too much when I am home as I don’t want him feeling like he spends his whole life in there.
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

We have had the same, we got our puppy at 8 weeks in july time so were quite tied to the house for most of summer as not allowed out until after jabs. I know what you mean exactly and our little monster is growing up fast and pushing boundaries! Front room looks like a war zome most days but his toys are easily packed into his tub. We have puppy pen for when he gets too boisterous or he needs time out or a nap. DH is at home with him all day. It does get easier when you can get out! I would also recommend a good puppy class. We are geting to the end of second course, and have lots of ideas from these on how to deal with problems. It has also been good to have an instructor who can give lots of individual advice and is very knowledgable about the quirks of different breeds. Maybe look on Youtube on some simple exercises you can do at home. As far as i can understand we have got about 18 months more of being a PITA but hopefully then we should have a settled dog! We have always had older rescues so this is new to us too! Perhaps we need a puppy group!

Edited at 05:49 PM.
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

The nipping is teething, my dog used to swing from my bingo wings . It will get a lot easier when he can go out for walks. I used to have a kong which I'd layer with philly cheese and kibble and then freeze it, this would keep her occupied for ages. I'd also put kibble in an empty water bottle and it worked like a puzzle for her to try and get to the treats , don't leave him with the bottle though as he make break some off and swallow it.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I found having a puppy was almost as tiring as having a newborn baby but thankfully doesn’t last as long.

Are you crate training? It helps the puppy to have a safe space and it’s somewhere you can put them for 5 mins whilst you pop to the loo etc.

As for the biting I said Ow in a high pitched voice when I was nibbles and stopped playing. Lots of praise for when they are doing good things/ behaviours you want.

What kind of puppy have you got?

Edited at 05:52 PM.
Twin mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
hexagon
VIP Dibber

hexagon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
When playing try to play at the puppy’s level, it’ll stop them jumping and getting nippy unintentionally, like when they grab for the toy.
hexagon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

Yea puppy/trading classes are great for you and the wee rascal.
We found an old jumper from one of the family and put it in the crate, just so when you go out they had your smell there with them.

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

This is Chip, he is a springer/poodle. I find it is like having another toddler in the house. Hubby and son are being a massive help...it has really made son take on some responsibility . I feel that the family unit will strengthen once we can get out walking/talking and enjoying quality time.

Thanks for all of the advice
Old 9 Oct 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

I sympathise massively... we got our puppy 10 days before Christmas last year (what were we thinking?! Lol) and I have to say that I found it incredibly challenging! I shed a few stress tears to be honest - trying to keep a constant eye on him, whilst also going about daily chores and dealing with dd was really tough and I felt so much pressure to get it right! Please be reassured that it gets a lot better quite quickly. I’d agree with other posters that puppy training classes work really well... establishing basics in a positive way also helps you to bond with your little one! My puppy is 11 months now and I find it much easier to know how to occupy him - stay positive... it does get easier and it’s normal to find it tough!

ETA .. just seen the photo - what a gorgeous pup! Love him! We have a cavapoo ... poodle mix are often bright dogs (so I’m told) ... our Benji certainly is- which is great for quick results with the training but also has its challenges! 🙈🐶

Edited at 07:17 PM.
Th1nkT1nk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List