Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 20, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

weather on a cruise in september as am scared of rough seas

I have seen a good price for a cruise in September with my local travel agent on MSC armonia to Jamaica my question is what’s the weather like around this area please is it hurricane season or anything as never cruised before and am really panicking about rough seas etc thanks for advice
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

It is hurricane season but cruise lines are good at using accurate forecasts to ensure that ships are out of harms way. If a hurricane is imminent, itineraries are changed and very often different ports are substituted (if available) or additional sea days in more sheltered waters. Occasionally, cruises are cancelled or delayed if the situation warrants it. If you have visions of sailing through horrendous seas, the reality is it very rarely happens. In almost 50 cruises we have had 4 rough days at sea (2 days Pacific, 1 day Tasman Sea, 1 day transatlantic).

Edited at 08:33 AM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

We went to Spain last year on cruise and the course had to change coming back through the bay of biscay. We were at the front of the ship. Even though we had changed course it sounded terrible and I had bad sea sickness.
But it won’t stop me going on a cruise, in fact we have one in April.
Unfortunately it always sounds a lot worse than it actually is and it was my head going into overtime.
Cruise ships are good at moving out of harms way.

If it’s a good deal I’d do it. I would recommend sea sick tablets though as I forgot to take some
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Depends what you call rough seas... Having spent a fair few years working on ships at sea I don't call 2m seas rough but cruise ship passengers would. Most cruise ships would avoid any rough seas as even a small roll on a cruise ship can make the passenger sea sick.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
SHREKS OTHER1/2
Imagineer

SHREKS OTHER1/2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The other year we had a cruise booked with NCL ..we had been with them in the March on Eastern Caribbean cruise , so choose Western for Sept one .. Hurricane was around so they divided us on the Eastern again ... Change all plans .Daughters we’re happy as they were with us and wanted to do Jamaica . Embarks only to be told back to Eastern .. All trips cancelled again ... we were told to expect choppy seas ...It was a Millpond ..all week .Big ships have stabilisers .Honestly don’t loose out on a fab cruise .They would not endanger passengers ..But try to get a mid ship cabin less movement felt
05,07,09 Sandy Ridge 11 LA,Vegas,SF 12Miami,Sandy Ridge,AMI 13 Vegas 13 Miami,Disney,AMI,KeyWest 14 Memphis,New Orleans,AMI 15 West Caribbean Cruise & Keys 15 Miami, East Caribbean Cruise & AMI 16 Orlando & West Caribbean Cruise, 16 Barbados,17 MSC Caribbean Cruise AMI,17Georgia,Carolina,Orlando & AMI 18 Vegas ,LA & Palm Springs,18 NewYork,Arkansas ,Dallas 19 Barbados Cruise 19 Florida 20 Vegas,LA& Hawaii 20 Arkansas

Edited at 03:43 PM.
SHREKS OTHER1/2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My DH really hates boats - he feels sick just thinking about going on the Dover-Calais ferry

Our first cruise was to the fjords to see if we liked it - and if he could "hack" it! Well I guess we were lucky as the weather was perfect and we both fell in love with cruising.

Our second cruise we jumped in at the deep end and booked a 15 night atlantic crossing via Iceland and Canada to New York. As we said past the Shetland Islands - our first stop - with me making a couple of sarnies to take off with us - DH said - oh look there's some islands out there - I wonder which one is ours.

We were completely oblivious to the fact that we were sailing PAST our stop until the captain came on and said that as it was a FORCE 9! we couldn't dock as it was unsafe! DH commented that it didnt look that bad and he certainly didnt feel anything.

The big cruise ships these days have stabilisers to stop the rolling - no point in upsetting the customers as they won't come back if they're sick!

But get some Sturgeron seasick tablets from the chemist just in case.

Edited to say we try to go for a midships cabin and low down - not higher up as there is more movement the higher you go (even they are supposed to be the prized cabins!)

Edited at 10:21 PM.
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

And the front is not good. I felt everything in the bay of biscay. Really hoping not to this yead
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List