Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 6 Feb 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

travelling between canada & USA, things not to miss

really want to do niagara falls so fly into toronto, then thinking of driving to new york for 4 days, done new york before but so much we didn't do, then drive down to somewhere in florida, done orlando 12 times, miami 3 times & the keys, looking for recommendations on things we should do around toronto, between niagara and new york and how best to drive from NY to florida and anything we should do en route & in northern florida and nice place to stay for a wk
also wondering if better to fly to florida and home from canada as reading a car hire thread it appears it may be lot easier crossing from USA to canada that canada to `USA, any thoughts, thanks
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I've done Toronto - Niagara - New York before but not then down to Florida.

I'm not sure how easy the car hire will be if you want to pick it up in Canada and then leave it in Florida.

The border crossing from Canada-USA is more involved and time consuming than the USA-Canada one but I wouldn't change all my plans around that, it's not that bad.

Niagara On The Lake is worth visiting. Between Niagara and New York there isn't that much that you have to see. We drove to Scranton in Pennsylvania and stopped for the night then drove into NYC in the morning. I'd avoid that - it wasn't nice! Must be somewhere nicer to stop. Albany was better, but a bit dead at the weekend.
Old 6 Feb 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Thank you, we plan driving to NY then leaving car and picking up again after 4 days NY as wont need car there, not sure if that will make car hire easier, could fly to florida if car hire an issue
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

I think you'll struggle with picking up in Canada an droppng off in the U.S or vice versa. Options for companies that will allow it will be very limited and those that do will be super expensive!

One way of doing it is to collect the car in Toronto, drop it off just over the border in Buffalo, NY and pick up a new car for the rest of the journey at the same time.

You could also consider flying into Detroit and starting your journey there then continuing to Toronto (4hrs) an dropping off somewhere in the states.

We picked up a car at Washington IAD, drove up through New York and Pennsylvania to Niagara, Toronto, through Michigan and ultimately dropped off at a hotel in Chicago. Reason for doing it that way was because there were no one-way fees on that route.

Edited at 03:03 PM.
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Hmr89 View Post
I think you'll struggle with picking up in Canada an droppng off in the U.S or vice versa. Options for companies that will allow it will be very limited and those that do will be super expensive!

One way of doing it is to collect the car in Toronto, drop it off just over the border in Buffalo, NY and pick up a new car for the rest of the journey at the same time.

You could also consider flying into Detroit and starting your journey there then continuing to Toronto (4hrs) an dropping off somewhere in the states.

We picked up a car at Washington IAD, drove up through New York and Pennsylvania to Niagara, Toronto, through Michigan and ultimately dropped off at a hotel in Chicago. Reason for doing it that way was because there were no one-way fees on that route.
Thanks for that, flown into dtw before so that could be an option, looks like I've got a bit of research to do thanjs
Old 22 Feb 20, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
thehails
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

I’ve just posted on the car hire thread about one way hire from Toronto to NY or in our case NJ.

We did this in July last year & the only company we found that would let us do that was National. All the other company’s we checked would let us hire in Toronto & drop off across the boarder in Buffalo, so initially we were planning on doing that & rehiring in Buffalo & dropping in NJ.
thehails is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

We flew into Toronto, got a hire car and drove to Niagara before driving down to Southern Indiana. We drove back to Toronto for our flights home.

I think you will struggle to get a one way car rental from Toronto to Florida. I think you will need to split it up between Canada and US rental for a one way. Car rental in Canada had lots of terms eg limited mileages and which US states you could take it into. You need to check with them what they allow as all the car hire companies have different rules !

We really enjoyed Niagara falls and its worth see the falls from both the Canadian and America sides
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List