Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Feb 20, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eowyn78 View Post
Surely, it would have been better to refurbish in the winter with less tourists and drier weather?
Yes you’d think so, but just watched vlog Mickey Views and he said this is so it doesn’t interfere with xmas lights etc? They must need quite a lot of time. I guess when ever it is, it will upset somebody. I’m certainly upset 😭
Th1nkT1nk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Will_H
Excited about Disney

Best case,we get some cranes in our photos,worse case I fear is the scrim...

Gutted but hopefully they learnt from dl California and wont ruin disneyworld with those awful printed scrims.imo it isna massive deal as I wanted my daughter to see the castle first time and have a picture with her dad...so I totally get where people are coming from but I'm not going to assume the worse just yet until we get more details
Will_H is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
m2k00
Apprentice Imagineer

California was different as they had to replace the full roof/turrets on the castle and wasn’t just a repaint. It’s unlikly Disney world’s will be behind scrim for a repaint. It’s been painted many times before and had additional decoration added without behind bend scrim. Especially due the size compared to Disneylands

Yes there might be cranes in view as they do certain sections but should be lowered at points especially for the firework show.

Edited at 11:59 PM.
m2k00 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Blueste
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
You are welcome to your opinion and everyone will have a different view but the concept of going to Disney World with a Castle covered in scaffolding is about as unappealing a prospect as I could ever imagine.

Specially with Epcot being in such a state as well.

Not sure you can compare a ride being down against not being able to get that magical photo in front of the castle.
As you said everyone will have a different view, personally I would rather the castle was covered in scaffolding than say 7DMT being closed.
Blueste is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
It really wouldn’t bother me , I’m not getting up at the crack of dawn to make rope drop and wasting my time stopping for a castle photo!

But I bet Disney will be along soon with a upgrade fake superimposed castle photo option for a special price
You can already get that at the Photopass studio at Disney Springs. It is free with Memory Maker and they have loads of different backgrounds they can add. I am sure I remember the castle as one of the. It is right behind Ghirardelli if anyone is interested.
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Will_H View Post
Best case,we get some cranes in our photos,worse case I fear is the scrim...
I agree, I’m really hoping it’s just going to be done with cranes. Someone said earlier that Disney won’t want the castle revealed until it’s all done, but surely it’s worse for them to have no visible castle at all for months? That’s my thinking anyway - just hope they agree!

Our first visit to DLP was the year before the 25th anniversary (supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip as it had taken us 5 years to have the money for it.) There were lots of rides and sections of lands closed for refurb ahead of the anniversary year, and the castle was being repainted, but just with cranes and it didn’t spoil our trip at all. We just enjoyed the rides that were open, took photos of the castle from the right angle, and had an amazing time.*

*Plus we ended up going back to DLP twice to see everything we’d missed, once it was all reopened for the 25th celebrations.

It would have been a different matter if the castle had been under a scrim though - it was the first visit for all of us, and I’d been so looking forward to our first sight of the castle. If it had been hidden, that would have taken away the most magical moment of our trip. I feel pretty much the same about WDW - I’ve been before, but it’s my girls’ first trip, and I really want them to have that magical moment of seeing the castle for the first time.

We do have a Disney cruise from Miami booked for 2021, so if the castle is totally hidden this year, I think we might have to squeeze in a couple of days in the park to see it properly next year.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025

Edited at 12:36 AM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:09 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

The Orlando Sentinel have just posted an article on Facebook about this. "There are no plans to cover the castle or to close it" during the repaint.
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
The Orlando Sentinelhave just posted an article on Facebook about this. "There are no plans to cover the castle or to close it" during the repaint.
Well you are going to have to have people working at height to paint the thing so you are going to have to have cherry pickers and other equipment or this sort at a minimum I would presume ? Unless Tinker Bell is lending a hand / wing ?

I don't see how they would paint it without scaffolding... But hopefully some how this is true.

Edited at 01:18 AM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post
Got to be better than the pink and blue plastic birthday cake from the 25th!
Wow I remember that monstrosity... never ruined the holiday but we do have some strange photos in front of that

oh and regarding photos... photoshop is your friend

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "

Edited at 02:47 AM.
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:57 AM  
Link to this Post

I don’t understand the posts about photos, it is not about photos to me. I do not have a single photo of the castle. It nevertheless is an iconic Disney image. No it is not something I stand and stare at, but I do look at it every time, I am not overly sentimental either, you won’t find me weeping at HEA or Wishes, but we will be in MK numerous times and it will be disappointing to find the castle covered in scaffolding and plastic.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread