Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Feb 20, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Like others have done MK a number of times but it does nothing for me any more
JayPR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mckee74 View Post
Honestly, I'm amazed by any folks who could go all the way to Florida and not go to Disney.

I'll be honest, for me it's mainly Hollywood Studios (Tower of Terror is still the best ride in Florida) and Animal Kingdom (Pandora) but gosh the thought of not walking around Magic Kingdom is just horrifying (although I'd like an excuse to miss out on the parking fee).
Don't get me wrong but we love Disney, it's just we're slowly being priced out of going every trip. $1000 for tickets, $300 parking and vastly over inflated food prices if your not on the dining plan. The money I saved last time by not visiting Disney is paying for flights and hotel this time.
I think we’d only do Disney every other time now yes you have the magic of the Magic Kingdom but that magic certainly comes at a price.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
TartanTink
VIP Dibber

We love Disney but we also like holidays where we go and see other things too. There is so much to do and see we easily can fill a holiday without Disney, we did Disney last year but we are doing Universal and some travelling this time

Edited at 10:30 PM.
TartanTink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
epickles
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We are Florida first timers - travelling in May. Family of 4 (2 boys aged 10 & 8). We are not doing Disney.

Reasons being -
We are only there for 2 weeks, and can't see us getting our money's worth out of 14 day Universal and 14 day Seaworld/ Aquatic/ Busch. Add another 14 day Disney ticket to the mix and I think we would be too stressed trying to ensure that we get value for money out of all our tickets. The Seaworld etc came with the DC tickets.
We also want to go to KSC and Clearwater.
We're staying in a Villa because I can't stand the thought of being suffocated on site, and we're hiring a car to give us the freedom to see Floria at our own leisure.
Seeing people making excel spreadsheets detailing which parks, which restaurants etc etc months ahead of time has seriously put me off being trampled on in MK thank you very much

Not all of us are there for Disney - can you imagine the crowds if we were?!
epickles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by epickles View Post
We are Florida first timers - travelling in May. Family of 4 (2 boys aged 10 & 8). We are not doing Disney.

Reasons being -
We are only there for 2 weeks, and can't see us getting our money's worth out of 14 day Universal and 14 day Seaworld/ Aquatic/ Busch. Add another 14 day Disney ticket to the mix and I think we would be too stressed trying to ensure that we get value for money out of all our tickets. The Seaworld etc came with the DC tickets.
We also want to go to KSC and Clearwater.
We're staying in a Villa because I can't stand the thought of being suffocated on site, and we're hiring a car to give us the freedom to see Floria at our own leisure.
Seeing people making excel spreadsheets detailing which parks, which restaurants etc etc months ahead of time has seriously put me off being trampled on in MK thank you very much

Not all of us are there for Disney - can you imagine the crowds if we were?!
And that neatly sums up our own viewpoint re Disney.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mckee74 View Post
Honestly, I'm amazed by any folks who could go all the way to Florida and not go to Disney.
And I'm equally amazed that people can go all the way to Florida and only go to Disney . I have friends that travelled on the Disney bus, to the Disney hotel and spent the entire 2 weeks on Disney property. It seems such a waste to travel so far and not experience anything the State has to offer.

Actually, I'll extend that to Orlando too. Just get in your car and head out to a smaller town or to the coast for a day or two, there's a whole world out there.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MEGGYJOE
Imagineer

First time this year we are not doing Disney. We have a villa booked at a complex in Championsgate, so will spend more time around the pool, shop and visit DS.
We have two nights at one of the universal hotels so will just buy universal tickets this year.
We have 5 days in AMI which I’m looking forward to doing and maybe visit bush gardens on the way.
Old 21 Feb 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
And I'm equally amazed that people can go all the way to Florida and only go to Disney . I have friends that travelled on the Disney bus, to the Disney hotel and spent the entire 2 weeks on Disney property. It seems such a waste to travel so far and not experience anything the State has to offer.

Actually, I'll extend that to Orlando too. Just get in your car and head out to a smaller town or to the coast for a day or two, there's a whole world out there.
Orlando was the first place I visited in the US and loved it. Second trip we got out an explored the beaches, Miami and the Keys and I thought “gosh Orlando is flat and ugly” Then I visited NYC/Chicago/Boston on my own followed by our first big roadtrip our west to CA/AZ/UT and I thought “gosh Florida is not even in my top 5 states now” 🤣

I love Disney and it is what brings me back to Orlando, though now it’s as part of a multi city trip. Without Disney I wouldn’t go to Orlando at all or to Florida but I’m very glad I got to visit Naples, AMI and the Keys. As a couple without kids there are so many more scenic parts of the US if we want to just chill and so many more culturally rich parts if we want museums, theatres and great nightlife. Last year flights to Hawaii were cheaper than a direct to Orlando and a condo on the beach on Maui was $150 per night. It would have been more expensive to do a week at the Poly! We’ve found the Disney deluxes are as expensive if not more than world class hotels in the major cities. So cost/value really pushed us away initially and we’re glad it did or we would have missed some amazing places.

Other people will never tire of Disney and others are still in the Orlando phase. They may just outgrow it altogether or they may start exploring other Disney parks and head out to California or Japan etc..

The Dibb is for my money the best general travel forum and particularly USA travel forum out there. Every other travel forum I’ve peeked at is full of angry snobs who tear down every new poster and take pleasure in making them feel like fools. The US forums in particular seem to attract very well heeled retired locals to refuse to accept that their tastes are not universal and god help you if you say you enjoy a chain restaurant, you don’t have a credit card or you’re not interested in art galleries 🤣🤣 The west coast and general travel sub forums here are gems.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

Orlando without Disney? Sacrilege!

As two adults going on our own for the last 4 visits and with kids multiple times before - it's a must! Otherwise, you're forgetting your inner-child.

Don't get me started on Universal (old and relies on Harry Potter)... the money saved on not doing Universal pays for so much more!

Edited at 05:00 PM.
khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
hardly
Excited about Disney

25 years ago did a California flydrive.
No accommodation booked, just winged it. Stayed in a Charles Bronson style motel in San Fran, drove to LA, San Diego and Vegas. Great holiday. Didn’t have kids then and only just met er indoors.
I would say visiting Florida as a family feels right. I’m not sure I’d have the confidence to take em to other parts of us.
hardly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List