Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Feb 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

ESTA - how far in advance of trip would you book?

My ESTA's are due for renewal but not sure whether to renew them now or wait until nearer to our trip so that the 2 years window could be maximised in case we do another trip. What is a sensible amount of lead time do I need?
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I would tend to do it at least 6 months in advance. That’s how long I think would be safe to allow for a visa should there be any issues.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My personal opinion is to do them before you commit any serious money to a holiday that's not recoverable in the unlikely event that your application is refused. Secondly as sha9 suggests maybe 6 months in advance in case there's a refusal needing to apply for a visa.

The chance of refusal is so slight as maybe not measurable but over all my years on here since they were introduced I have seen it happen.

Once by a massive software fail at SFB but more commonly by applicant's carelessness.

We've had live ESTAs since they were introduced and honestly wouldn't risk losing a holiday for trying to optimise lots of uses out of a £10 document.

Mick
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I do it when we book our flights which was back in September last year for August this year. We don't go every year so would need to do it each time anyway.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

I keep mine active all the time even if I haven't got a trip planned! just incase those 6 numbers come up!
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
I keep mine active all the time even if I haven't got a trip planned! just incase those 6 numbers come up!
Our thoughts exactly. We're lucky enough to go twice a year anyway most years . Don't do the lottery now but we do have premium bonds and I'd hate to think we couldn't book and go next week if we won £1m because of a lapsed ESTA.

Mick
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Before you pay out any non refundable money
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would never book a holiday without an esta in place for my dates.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I did my first one before I booked my flight just in case.
Old 16 Feb 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
My personal opinion is to do them before you commit any serious money to a holiday that's not recoverable in the unlikely event that your application is refused. Secondly as sha9 suggests maybe 6 months in advance in case there's a refusal needing to apply for a visa.

The chance of refusal is so slight as maybe not measurable but over all my years on here since they were introduced I have seen it happen.

Once by a massive software fail at SFB but more commonly by applicant's carelessness.

We've had live ESTAs since they were introduced and honestly wouldn't risk losing a holiday for trying to optimise lots of uses out of a £10 document.

Mick
After lots of people have asked the question and lots of debates around it, people have got good at summarising. This is a good summary, especially in the description of the chance of refusal for someone normal. The other posts back it up nicely.

Maximising the chances of a "free" trip is something which seems a good idea, but in my mind when you look properly isn't. If you get your ESTA 6 months ahead of your planned trip, you give yourself time to get a VISA if you need one, and you still have 18 months when you get back to use it again if all goes normally. If you did ESTA last minute, that 18 months extends to maybe 23 months, but if you do need a visa, you haven't got time to sort one. Whilst the odds of needing a VISA are indeed very small, the consequence is catastrophic. You are risking the first holiday for the possibility of saving a tenner should you decide to go between 18-23 months after you get back. To me not worth it, like lumping your house on a strong odds on favourite so you can win next to nothing.

Edited at 01:12 PM.
Thorpy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List