Old 11 Jan 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Tesco Clubcard points - RPR booking?

Hi there,

I often see posts on here where people are converting clubcard points to vouchers and using them to book RPR at Universal. Could someone please explain to me how this works and if you think it would be worhtwhile for the 6 adults in my party making a conscious effort to use Tesco as much as possible for the next year in order to try and make a saving towards the hotel booking? Between shopping and petrol we could probably amass quite a number of points I think.

Thanks,

Julie
Old 11 Jan 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

I think people have converted Tesco Vouchers to Hotels.com vouchers at X3 value

eg £5 Tesco = £15 hotels.com
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Originally Posted by kiwiinabd View Post
I think people have converted Tesco Vouchers to Hotels.com vouchers at X3 value

eg £5 Tesco = £15 hotels.com
OK thank you, and do you know if there is a time limit or expiration date on these points/vouchers?

sorry I really have no clue about this!
Old 11 Jan 20, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
darsch1982
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes there is a £250 limit on them and you can only use 1 voucher so if you change £50 into £150 and £20 into £60 you have to do it in 2 separate bookings and you have to pay tax so always check before you change them. After they are valid 6 months and for 6 people you will need 2 rooms so i would say divide you vouchers and book 2 seperate then you make the most of the vouchers
darsch1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

You would only convert the Tesco vouchers when you want to make the booking. Clubcard vouchers themselves have an expiry date of about two years I think.
You only get 1 point for every two pounds spent on petrol just in case you didn’t know.

The vouchers also can’t be used against the taxes. Once you convert the voucher it can’t be refunded so make sure you check the amount required for the booking first (excl taxes) then convert the voucher. It must also be done from one account and I believe it’s one booking per voucher so you can’t “pool” clubcard points unless you have a household account.

Edited at 11:46 PM.
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Thanks a lot that's all really helpful - so it sounds like if my son and GF have a card and my hubby and I have one and we make 2 bookings then that would be the most cost effective way of using them
Old 12 Jan 20, 04:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Yes, it’s a great way to save money - just do a dummy booking first to see how much your taxes and fees will be (as above, you can’t use vouchers to pay these.) Once you know how much you need in vouchers, you can exchange them in multiples of £5. There is also a maximum limit of £250 in vouchers, so if the room costs more than £750 excluding tax, you’d have to pay the rest yourself.

For example, my dummy booking showed that our Universal stay would cost £450, including £56 taxes & fees. That left £394 that could be paid with vouchers, divided by 3 = £131.33, then rounded down to a multiple of 5 = £130 in vouchers.

(As it happened, we only had £105 in vouchers, but the £315 was still a great saving.)
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

I would also do a dummy booking to see what RPR come out as in avios points. You might find you get a better deal converting your clubcard points into avios. Maybe looking at credit cards that give you avios as rewards. Amex gold is a good one to collect points but make sure you cancel it before the year is up otherwise you will be charged the annual fee, Amex BA is another that is going for points. I find Tesco more expensive than other places so don’t real feel I’m getting a good deal with tesco clubcard points anymore. We used avios points when we stayed at RPR, nothing better than a “free” stay 😀
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List