Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I love sea days and would happily do a cruise to nowhere , however one year years ago we sailed Southampton to the Caribbean in May and force eight gales weren’t a lot of fun !
I guess that’s the risk with T/A. Just can’t tell what the crossing will be like.

Sounds daft but how had was it when it was rough? And how long did it last? I know they usually try and sail around but sometimes can’t.
arielrocks is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
I guess that’s the risk with T/A. Just can’t tell what the crossing will be like.

Sounds daft but how had was it when it was rough? And how long did it last? I know they usually try and sail around but sometimes can’t.
On one of our transatlantics, hurricane Sandy was brewing. We changed route, missed the Azores and went to Madeira instead. We then followed Sandy for a couple of days up to Fort Lauderdale which was quite bumpy but not too bad.

Edited at 04:24 PM.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It was probably two bad days.
I do recall sitting in the dining room and with every course more and more people disappeared
As you say it’s lack of the draw, sailing back it was like a mill pond.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

been on 3 TA and 23 cruises total (many lines) but one of our absolute favourite cruises was an 8 day, no ports from S'ton to NY (New Jersey) on RC Anthem of the Seas a few years ago!
The weather had a few bad days but overall ok. For us, the ship was brilliant as it had so many things to do, but could have been an entirely different trip on a ship will less to do, so maybe look at a repositioning cruise with a bigger ship?
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
been on 3 TA and 23 cruises total (many lines) but one of our absolute favourite cruises was an 8 day, no ports from S'ton to NY (New Jersey) on RC Anthem of the Seas a few years ago!
The weather had a few bad days but overall ok. For us, the ship was brilliant as it had so many things to do, but could have been an entirely different trip on a ship will less to do, so maybe look at a repositioning cruise with a bigger ship?
The problem we have is that we only have a 2 week window in May to go. It’s the only TA in that time frame. Other than that we could do P and O Med but that doesn’t feel as ‘special’ as TA. Don’t know why though.
arielrocks is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

The problem we have is that we only have a 2 week window in May to go. It’s the only TA in that time frame. Other than that we could do P and O Med but that doesn’t feel as ‘special’ as TA. Don’t know why though.
For me the cruise comes down to ports I want to visit and price.
I can deal with a few boring days so long I eventually get what I want ie a port.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Queen Mary 2 isn’t a standard cruise ship and is geared up for rough seas. We’ve only done a short Hamburg to Southampton cruise on her but you couldn’t even feel you were at sea.

I’ve been on the Queen Victoria in a force 8 across Biscay and that moved a bit but I think Queen Mary 2 is a totally different kettle of fish.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Queen Mary 2 isn’t a standard cruise ship and is geared up for rough seas. We’ve only done a short Hamburg to Southampton cruise on her but you couldn’t even feel you were at sea.

I’ve been on the Queen Victoria in a force 8 across Biscay and that moved a bit but I think Queen Mary 2 is a totally different kettle of fish.
We’ve been on QM2 before, she’s stunning. Love Elizabeth as well but a totally different feel. Yet to try Victoria.
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve been on QM2 before, she’s stunning. Love Elizabeth as well but a totally different feel. Yet to try Victoria.
We’ve been on all 3. Victoria is practically identical to Elizabeth just with darker wood decor. We’re on Victoria again in April. On Victoria there is a display containing the Blue Peter badge that Stephen Payne was presented with .
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We are doing this in May coming. It’s our first ‘cruise’ and we picked it as my dh hates the thought of a traditional one with ports. We are really looking forward to having a week of peace and quite just the 2 of us. There does seem to be loads to do on the ship if we want to.
The QM2 is an ocean liner and not a cruise ship, it’s designed to do this voyage so I’m not worried about feeling it moving too much if the weather is bad.

Edited at 10:53 PM.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List