Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Jan 20, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile August holiday with a teen

Really struggling to come up with a destination for a holiday next year.

Due to school holidays it will have to be in August, and my son will be 13. We want somewhere special as we are celebrating , we want sun, good food and plenty to keep us occupied.

We keep considering Florida but the weather, mostly the chance rain, is putting us off.

Any suggestions gratefully received . We have considered Anaheim but can’t decide if there is enough to do there for 2 weeks.
Old 24 Jan 20, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

California, the weather is great in August, we are returning for the 3rd time this summer and we have 2 older teens

Plenty to do in the area, more expensive than Florida though
Edie ray is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Really struggling to come up with a destination for a holiday next year.

Due to school holidays it will have to be in August, and my son will be 13. We want somewhere special as we are celebrating , we want sun, good food and plenty to keep us occupied.

We keep considering Florida but the weather, mostly the chance rain, is putting us off.

Any suggestions gratefully received . We have considered Anaheim but can’t decide if there is enough to do there for 2 weeks.
We’ve been travelling in August for years now due to having two teenage boys.

I personally don’t find the August weather a problem in Florida - yes it’s hot, but their air conditioning is so good & as for the rain - it’s torrential, worse than the wettest day’s ever here - but it’s generally consistent with timings and brief , and you can see it coming and as soon as it’s gone the ground is dry and the sun is shining! With the summer months also comes extended park hours, so we just split our days up - so if the rain is forecast for the afternoon (they are generally really accurate with forecasting!) , we go to the parks first thing, arrange to eat during the rain and then have some pool time after the storm and back to the parks in the cooler, long evenings - no problem at all!

Whilst the Californian weather is perfect in August, I wouldn’t choose to spend two weeks in just Anaheim - California (even just Southern California) is perfect for a road trip and so much to do and see.

I personally think you can have an amazing time in August at both of these places!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the replies. Maybe Orlando in August is not such a bad idea. I had visions of it being a 2 week wash out. I can handle an afternoon downpour
Old 24 Jan 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
vickyc651
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edie ray View Post
California, the weather is great in August, we are returning for the 3rd time this summer and we have 2 older teens

Plenty to do in the area, more expensive than Florida though

I agree. My DD13 loves everything about Cali, especially LA.
Old 24 Jan 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Thanks for the replies. Maybe Orlando in August is not such a bad idea. I had visions of it being a 2 week wash out. I can handle an afternoon downpour
but there is no guarantee that it wont be a two week wash out though - we have been in August four times and have been lucky and unlucky with the weather. Whilst the whole two weeks weren't a total wash out, one August was not that nice and it meant us not returning for 4 years as it put us off. We went back last year in August and the weather was lovely until then the threat of the hurricane arrived , it spoilt our last couple of days as we were worrying and our airline was advising us to change flights. In the end we got out before it arrived but again that has put me off returning again. however I am someone that likes to see the sun on holiday so clouds and rain do bother me.
We have been lots of places with teen boys , I always pick places where we can go out and do things. Portugal is good, Tenerife , Croatia , Salou if you want theme parks or California if you dont mind driving.
Old 24 Jan 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I don’t think August is that bad personally , I rather enjoy those rainy afternoons as it forces you to get up and at the attractions in the (usually) dry mornings.
If you want theme parks then California is one option but there’s also some great east coast options too but all like California will be more of a road trip than Florida.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We've visited Florida many times in August and yes we have got wet some days but it hasn't stopped us having an amazing time. We've also visited California several times at this time of year, the weather was perfect on every trip. We definitely wouldn't stay in Anaheim for longer than 4-5 days, there's so much to see and do. San Diego is only a few hours away, LA itself is 45-90 mins away depending on the time of day you travel. Alternatively fly into San Francisco then drive down the coast taking in Monterey, Santa Barbara etc. And fly home from LAX or SD. Our boys have definitely never been bored in California.
I would suggest you read some of the amazing trip reports that people have posted - happy planning

Edited at 05:00 PM.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
August is not wall to wall sunshine like going to Spain or Cyprus but it is decent enough for us to go at this time every year.

A birthday meal at Universal Hard Rock café would be a nice treat
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

We are going to go next year (left it too late this year but my 12yr old daughter is desperate to go to LA &#128580. Probably do San Fran-Yosemite-LA-Disney or the other way around. Let me know what you are thinking of booking as i am stumped on how and when to plan this!

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List