Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Feb 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Statue of Liberty

Hi,

It's nearly time to book our crown tickets for sol

I've been reading lots of trip reports and have decided to book tickets for our first morning - is this a good idea?

Would you recommend the 8.00 or 9.00 tickets? I'm thinking 9 as it will give us a bit more time to get there as it will be our first morning in NY and our first subway ride But i don't want it to be too busy (it will be August time)

We will be coming from the Intercontinental Barclay, can someone tell me which is the best subway station to get off at to be as close as possible to the entrance to get on the boat please?

Thanks
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Liz
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 34
We booked the 8am one August 2018.
The time you select is your security check in time at boarding, please arrive at least 45 minutes prior to security check in time.
We got there just after 7am and seamed to wait for ages.
Definitely recommend going first morning, we were all awake very early and buzzing.

* we jumped in a taxi so can’t help on subway.

Edited at 06:26 PM.
Florida Liz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Hi there,

We stayed at the Intercontinental Times Square on West 44th St, I am not sure where you are situated in comparison? We had 9am crown tickets, left hotel about 7.45am and got on the red line subway to Rector Street. It was a short walk then to the SOL ticket office.
Have a wonderful time 😃
Old 16 Feb 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

The IB is an easy run down from central station. The 4 or 5 down to Bowling Green and a very short walk over to battery park.

Personally I would go for the 8am one. You will be surfing jet lag so may well be up earlier than you think on the first day.

Remember crown tickets have to be collected on the day so that is an extra queue you have to do. If you go first thing that queue will be shorter than later in the day. if you opt for pedestal you can print out at home.

If you go up the crown / pedestal and then ferry to Ellis Island and a quick coffee there then ferry back and walk over to George's for brunch / lunch can walk up to the world trade center for a look around there, nosy at coutauld street architecture and back to the IB for a late afternoon refresher. 🍹
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We booked the 9am slot when we went. Glad we did, it was a weekend with intermittent underground service. Ended up getting a bus there and back. The crown was an amazing experience - so glad we did it.
Old 17 Feb 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Thanks for all the advice, think I might book the 8.00 one, as I'm sure we'll be awake early

FamilyGWales - thanks for the tip about Georges, I'll have a look at it, I was thinking of going to the memorial after SOL but wasn't sure if we would be too tired, so may leave it for another day
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ynwa2009 View Post
Thanks for all the advice, think I might book the 8.00 one, as I'm sure we'll be awake early

FamilyGWales - thanks for the tip about Georges, I'll have a look at it, I was thinking of going to the memorial after SOL but wasn't sure if we would be too tired, so may leave it for another day
I second George’s! We had a lovely brunch there after our time at the SoL
We then went on to the memorial and museum after. It was about lunchtime by then and didn’t feel too tired at all. In fact we then got the subway over to Brooklyn then walked back towards Manhattan over the bridge. It was also our first day. Photos and more info are in my trip report from 2018 in my signature

Edited at 04:42 PM.
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ynwa2009 View Post

I guess it depends on how long you're in NY for but as you're down that way it would be a good time to carry on to the memorial/museum.

We done the memorial first, no museum when we went, then walked down to Sol ferry, up the crown, then walked round the waters edge to Wall Street and over the Brooklyn Bridge and subway back, Smithlane's way is better, subway to Brooklyn then walk back as it saves you keep turning round to see the Manhatten skyline.

I guess everyones different but we were pushing 60 at the time and by no means fit, we only had 4 days though so had to cram it in.
pompeyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by pompeyboy View Post
I guess it depends on how long you're in NY for but as you're down that way it would be a good time to carry on to the memorial/museum.

We done the memorial first, no museum when we went, then walked down to Sol ferry, up the crown, then walked round the waters edge to Wall Street and over the Brooklyn Bridge and subway back, Smithlane's way is better, subway to Brooklyn then walk back as it saves you keep turning round to see the Manhatten skyline.

I guess everyones different but we were pushing 60 at the time and by no means fit, we only had 4 days though so had to cram it in.
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I second George’s! We had a lovely brunch there after our time at the SoL
We then went on to the memorial and museum after. It was about lunchtime by then and didn’t feel too tired at all. In fact we then got the subway over to Brooklyn then walked back towards Manhattan over the bridge. It was also our first day. Photos and more info are in my trip report from 2018 in my signature
Thanks for the ideas, Georges looks good, especially the waffles

Will probably try to fit in the memorial as well then as it sounds doable.

Was thinking of catching the subway over to Brooklyn and walking back but will save that for another day
Old 18 Feb 20, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

We got the 8am slot in August as well, most advice I can think of has already been mentioned, but must add that the actual viewing platform in the crown is very small, 6 people at most, i believe they only sell 40 tickets per hour slot.

We went straight up those stairs when we got there and were on our own in the crown for a good 10mins before anyone else appeared, so leave looking at the information boards for on the way down I'd say. The staff at the top were really friendly and said the Brits were always first up the stairs! The previous day it got to 110deg by midday in the crown It was an amazing experience, enjoy!
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List