Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Feb 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ak1985
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Virgin Insurance

I've tried searching the threads on this and can't see a direct answer.

We've found some flights with Virgin for 2022 that are pretty reasonable. However to upgrade the car insurance, its approximately £500 more, which i feel is ridiculous.

Any tips to get round this? Separate companies to use for an add on? Upgrade at the airport?

any help appreciated.
ak1985 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
£500 is about the going rate for an insured car in 2022 unless you want something like a fiat 500.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ak1985

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
£500 is about the going rate for an insured car in 2022 unless you want something like a fiat 500.
Sorry should have said, this is a Fly Drive with Virgin so includes Car and basic insurance.

I can definitely see why people prefer the BA Fly Drive now.
ak1985 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sadly this is very common with Virgin fly-drives (which I assume you're looking at?) Their basic cover is criminally low in my opinion.

Are you looking at fly-drives because the flight only prices haven't been released yet - 330 days out? Or do you want to make it a "holiday" so you only pay a deposit.

My suggestions is to look at prices for flights only at the time and book a car with someone like Andy at discountfloridacarhire/

Whatever you don't upgrade over there as it will cost a fortune.

Mick

PS Didn't see your last post
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
ak1985

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sadly this is very common with Virgin fly-drives (which I assume you're looking at?) Their basic cover is criminally low in my opinion.

Are you looking at fly-drives because the flight only prices haven't been released yet - 330 days out? Or do you want to make it a "holiday" so you only pay a deposit.

My suggestions is to look at prices for flights only at the time and book a car with someone like Andy at discountfloridacarhire/

Whatever you don't upgrade over there as it will cost a fortune.

Mick

PS Didn't see your last post
Thanks Mick - appreciated.

The idea was to just provide deposit. Although we are confident next year "should" be unaffected, i'm still hesitant to throw large sums of money as the airlines!
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ak1985 View Post
Thanks Mick - appreciated.

The idea was to just provide deposit. Although we are confident next year "should" be unaffected, i'm still hesitant to throw large sums of money as the airlines!
I understand your concerns but if airlines cancel your flight you're legally entitled to a full refund. A voucher may be offered but you don't have to accept if they cancel.

VS cancelled April 2020 - 14 weeks to get money back. BA cancelled Nov 2020 - 4 weeks to get money back. BA cancelled April 2021 last week - 2 working days to get my money back.

If you really want a fly drive then BA include CDW and SLI for $1m.

Mick

Edited at 05:36 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We booked a Virgin flydrive for Aug 22 into Miami, upgraded the car to a Tahoe or similar & paid for the upgraded insurance. We always usually book with BA on a flydrive but were happy with the price from Virgin, even with the upgraded fully inclusive insurance.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. There are 2 hugely different prices if you can pay upfront

An example. Go via the VA website and select flight plus car. I picked a random date in April for a 28 night stay. Selected PE seats both ways. Then selected a Standard SUV. That comes fully Insured. Cost £3808. Pay on booking.

Now do the same via VH. Same dates, same seats, same car. However with VH you have to add on the Insurance. Cost £4406. Deposit only.

Now both are too high for me as I do flight only and sort the car myself.

Worth checking before you commit.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:51 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
ak1985

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. There are 2 hugely different prices if you can pay upfront

An example. Go via the VA website and select flight plus car. I picked a random date in April for a 28 night stay. Selected PE seats both ways. Then selected a Standard SUV. That comes fully Insured. Cost £3808. Pay on booking.

Now do the same via VH. Same dates, same seats, same car. However with VH you have to add on the Insurance. Cost £4406. Deposit only.

Now both are too high for me as I do flight only and sort the car myself.

Worth checking before you commit.
Thanks for that, i wasn't aware of this! Love these little hacks!

I have already committed - however, the price was about £60 difference because of the 7% discount for flying club members that you can apply to the Virgin Holidays.
Old 25 Feb 21, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

There was a time when many travellers with Virgin Holidays would book a flydrive so as to be able to book more than 330 days out and only take the offered car with the basic 3rd party insurance, but on arrival would not pick up the car as they would have booked separately elsewhere much cheaper.

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List