Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Definitely get in touch with GP, you don't need to struggle and even just voicing your feelings will be a weight lifted iff your shoulders xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

My daughter spoke to the GP about her anxiety but he was reluctant to put her on medication because of her age at the time (15). He gave her some coping exercises and we also went to a private acupuncturist who gave her pressure point exercise. Neither of which really help. When she was doing her school exams she took Bach Rescue Plus which helped a bit. On saying all this still best to discuss with your GP. Hope you get the assistance you need.
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

You must talk and get help. Medication etc can help but it only suppresses the feelings of anxiety. By talking and getting proper help you’ll learn how to cope with how your feeling. Medication is small part of a whole coping tool kit
Wazza is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

I just wanted to update you as you were so kind and supportive.

Thanks to your encouragement I filled out an e-consult form on my dr’s website today. Had a telephone appointment at lunch time which was such a weight off my shoulders.

I have been given Sertraline to try, I have been advised I may feel worse before I feel better. I have also been referred to a counselling group and I have already filled out the online forms.

Dr did offer to sign me off work but I declined his offer. Whilst I dislike work I fear that staying away would only make me feel
More nervous about returning. And as we are in lockdown work is pretty much the only time I interact with people.

So, thank you
Old 25 Feb 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Give sertraline a chance. Dr put me back onto them, low dose, just before Christmas. I remember first-time my Dr put me on them ( my Dad died unexpectedly and I just could not get over it) she said to try and stick with them as they were one of the best for anxiety. I was warned of headaches and feeling nauseous, I was lucky I got nothing!

They take a while to work. Suddenly you realise your anxiety seems to drift away, or if you feel anxious you can cope with it.

meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post

Thanks to your encouragement I filled out an e-consult form on my dr’s website today. Had a telephone appointment at lunch time which was such a weight off my shoulders.

I have been given Sertraline to try, I have been advised I may feel worse before I feel better. I have also been referred to a counselling group and I have already filled out the online forms.

Dr did offer to sign me off work but I declined his offer. Whilst I dislike work I fear that staying away would only make me feel
More nervous about returning. And as we are in lockdown work is pretty much the only time I interact with people.

So, thank you
Glad to hear you've taken the first step. I'm just coming off Sertraline myself after a couple of years on it. It really did help me. The best way I can describe it is it turned down the background noise. That troublesome voice in your head that always worried about everything, the intrusive thoughts, they became more of a whisper which allowed me to have a break from all the anxiety. It gave me time to breathe. Hope that makes sense.

Side effects - whilst everyone is different, the first day I took it I felt high as a kite. It settled down after a day or two but it felt really odd. They might take a month or two to kick in but they will do eventually and you might feel worse for a bit but it will subside. I also had terrible night sweats and really strange dreams. They didn't start right away so that may have been due to an increase in dose. Also I craved carbs and sweet foods so naturally put on 20lb. Worth it though for the peace of mind. If you feel that you're really not happy after a few months then go back and ask to try a different type.

Feel free to ask any questions, it really does help to talk.
Old 25 Feb 21, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

I'm am also on sertraline and it was a rocky start for me with the side effects it took a good 6 weeks or so for those to abate fully. I seem to be bucking the weight gain trend and I have dropped a dress size because normally I eat my feelings. Good luck I'm so glad you found this helpful and that you have some support. Much love to you
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have been taking Sertaline since 2012 and they have helped with anxiety a lot. I take about 3 a week now which seem to keep the anxiety at bay. I was in a right state with panic and palpitations and feeling sick, they’ve made life much better
Old 25 Feb 21, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post

So, thank you
Glad to hear you’ve made the first steps to getting better & I think you’ve done the right thing regarding your work, staying in with nothing to do will I’m sure only have made matters worse 😬
Good luck & take care 💕💕xxx
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 21, 04:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

I can never understand why medication for mental health issues has such a negative image. Prozac has transformed my daughter's life. She has other physical and mental health issues including autism but Generalized Anxiety Disorder no longer rules her life. She has struggled with lots of other medications in the past but has no side effects from Prozac.