Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Feb 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kd85
slightly serious Dibber

Change on 6 month rule?

I hate this question normally 🤣 but we have moved our holiday again till October 2022 this means 2 of our passports run out month after we are back I know at the moment for florida its only duration of stay but have been told that once covid restrictions lifted new president etc will change this? Does anyone know anything about this? Rather not pay out for new passport on top but if it is changing dont want to stress sorting and getting new estas right before trip
Old 24 Feb 21, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This is the most recent 6 month update and the UK still on it

cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...date122017.pdf

Who told you they'd be changed after Covid? The Department of Homeland Security?

Mick

Edited at 12:41 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS

I should add that it may be required if you are travelling indirect via an EU nation? I've never done that so I don't know if transitting through means you need 6 months grace.

Mick
Old 24 Feb 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Told by whom ?
Sounds very unlikely .
I think Mick may have nailed it , you need six months if transiting through a European airport but not if flying direct.
There’s also the point that a passport can’t be valid for more than ten years for Europe so if you renewed early and had the remaining months added , they don’t count anymore .

Edited at 12:55 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rachv38
Very Serious Dibber

I really hope this isn't the case because ours run out about 4 months after we return and I havent renewed ours. Esta done and approved so I didn't want to mess about.
Rachv38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rachv38 View Post
I really hope this isn't the case because ours run out about 4 months after we return and I havent renewed ours. Esta done and approved so I didn't want to mess about.
If there's a more reliable source than the US Customs & Border Protection I'd be intrigued to know.

Mick
Old 24 Feb 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rachv38 View Post
If we can actually fly I’ll put up with that inconvenience if required , it’d be the least of my worries
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
If we can actually fly I’ll put up with that inconvenience if required , it’d be the least of my worries
Renewed our ESTAs in June last year in a reasonable expectation of needing them in November 2020 and then next in April 2021 (cancelled last week). Will need them for November 2021 hopefully.

That's $28 of mine that the US C&BP have had far too early.

Mick
Old 24 Feb 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Told by whom ?
Sounds very unlikely .
I think Mick may have nailed it , you need six months if transiting through a European airport but not if flying direct.
There’s also the point that a passport can’t be valid for more than ten years for Europe so if you renewed early and had the remaining months added , they don’t count anymore .
Yep - if you are flying via Paris/Amsterdam/Frankfurt then your passport needs to have been issued less then 9.5 years ago (to take account of the 6 month validity rule for the EU and the fact the EU no longer accept a passport can be valid longer than 10 years - for kids passports it is 4.5 years not 9.5 as they are only 5 years long)

If you fly direct from the UK, it just needs to be in date on your day of return

If indirect through Dublin/Shannon etc, then it is valid if it is valid on a direct route (although you may get some questions) because of the Anglo-Irish free travel agreement
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
kd85
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks cant remember were heard it spoken to so many people with changing plans etc (tbh think was a ta and they have told me before 6months when hasn't been correct🤦)
I didn't think would be correct or at least some warning etc but after everything didn't want to pay out anymore as already have to replace a couple after being delayed or have anything else mess up the holiday 🤦 will keep a look out incase after covid does but hopefully it won't
Thanks