Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Oct 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Taking food on the plane from Dublin.

Hi, we are flying from Dublin in 3 weeks, just wanted to know if anyone takes sandwiches, pringles etc through preClearance. And do u declare them in your hand luggage. I just read FloryG's report on here about taking sandwiches, and she said nothing! 😆😆
I know there's a small sandwich place after preClearance,but wasn't much choice for kids to eat on the plane.
Was even thinking of the 51st suite, but €35 each for 4 of us(and it gets mixed reviews), I don't think so.

Edited at 03:30 PM.
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Jelkat
Trainee Dibber

You cant bring fruit, meats etc. So no ham sandwiches, bananas, yogurts. You can bring cheddar cheese and I'm not 100% but I think cooked chicken in sandwiches are OK too. Its fine to bring pringles, chocolate, sweets etc. The people at immigration will ask you if you have any and and you just tell them then. Some people have taken ham sandwiches and told the officers and they were allowed to bring it. It depends on who you get but I'd always expect a no and be happy with a yes (if no you just dump it).
There is a place to buy stuff afterwards but nothing plain enough for my kids. Although we do use 51st & green, there's nothing really I'd bother taking on plane with us

Edited at 10:06 PM.
Jelkat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
They ask you if you're taking any banned foods into the USA. I honestly answered "no" because I intended to eat it all before I arrived. What I didn't eat, I put in the rubbish bag on the plane as always.
Actually, now I think about it, when you do immigration at MCO they ask " do you HAVE any xxx" which is a different question altogether so I think taking food to eat on the way is accepted

Edited at 12:57 PM.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterer
Very Serious Dibber

We use 51st and Green, we take empty refillable water bottles and fill up in there to take onto the plane (they don't do bottled water) but there are cans of coke, 7up? and the like, tea, coffee, still and sparkling water. We also took cans onto the plane too.

Food wise there were crackers, brie, 2 other cheeses, bread, curry, rice, soup, little cakes, mini donuts, profiteroles, cookies, crisps (which we take on the plane) ice lollies.

A family on the table next to us had brought ziplock gallon bags and filled them with donuts to take on the flight.

To be honest, the seating past preclearance is the usual hard seating, and there is very little in way of food/drink, just a terrible little cafe. 51st and Green has comfy seating, a view of the runway, very nice toilets, food and drink on tap to fill up on. We have used it twice now, and we would definitely do it again.
August 2019 CBBR & RPR Club level Post GCSE treat
Potterer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Thanks for asking this, I wouldn't have thought about this at all.

We've just booked Aer Lingus flights for February via Dublin so might have a look at 51st and Green.