Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 2 Sep 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the replies. He knows we wouldn't force him to make friends and he enjoyed chilling in the evening. If we asked him where to go at the moment he want's to be in his room on his PC or phone chatting to friends. He enjoyed the Boston part, perhaps we will just hit more cities. He'd love to do Florida for the rest of his life Cabana Bay and Universal, me too, but my wife is bored of it and wants to do other things, part of me wants to as well. Since I'm the main holiday planner it's left to me to decide

Old 2 Sep 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Thanks for the replies. He knows we wouldn't force him to make friends and he enjoyed chilling in the evening. If we asked him where to go at the moment he want's to be in his room on his PC or phone chatting to friends. He enjoyed the Boston part, perhaps we will just hit more cities. He'd love to do Florida for the rest of his life Cabana Bay and Universal, me too, but my wife is bored of it and wants to do other things, part of me wants to as well. Since I'm the main holiday planner it's left to me to decide
Why not look at what else Florida has to offer and consider a split stay either with other parts of Florida and a few nights at Universal tacked on the end , if you like cities maybe combine with New Orleans or Nashville ... or make a deal he gets Universal after a cruise so everyone gets a bit of what they want uni seems an age away but it really isn't , compromise (all of you) and make the most of these final family holiday years ! They will fly past.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Does he have to make friends. We took DD 14 last year and she spent the cruise with us. She went to the kids club for half an hour. Declares it not for her and didn’t go back. It wasn’t an issue. We went to the evening shows and dinner together and when we were just chilling she was happy on her phone while I was happy reading.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Does he have to make friends. We took DD 14 last year and she spent the cruise with us. She went to the kids club for half an hour. Declares it not for her and didn’t go back. It wasn’t an issue. We went to the evening shows and dinner together and when we were just chilling she was happy on her phone while I was happy reading.
Was about to say the same thing. Why can’t he just spend the time with you? Why does he have to make friends? I would have absolutely hated kids clubs too, but always went on holiday with my parents every year and just spent the time with them.

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

I am of the opinion that at 14 years of age your son should be included in the planning of holidays as it won’t be long until he no longer wants to go with you at all and then you will have plenty of time to do the type of holiday that you and your wife prefer .
I don’t think he should dictate what you do but just have some input and if he is that against a cruise that he would rather stay behind wouldn’t you rather go somewhere all together that you all enjoy while you can ?
I can understand the not wanting to go into Kids Club , I think it’s so different walking into a room full of strangers than say being around the pool and gradually sparking up conversation . Kids of that age also need their own space so I understand him being happy to spend some time in his room and it’s up to the parent to offer other forms of entertainment to encourage them out .
It’s a tricky age as regards to holidays and getting the right balance can be hard between them dictating to you and you dictating to them , you just have to work out a compromise that suits you all .
A mini cruise perhaps, incorporated with something else maybe the answer ?
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

I'd be bored senseless on a cruise and I'm 45, nevermind 14.
He won't be on many more with u, so let him throw a few ideas out. As someone said, maybe hit a few cities in USA.
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
CarsonMac
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I was the same at her age - when i was younger my parents had a tourer caravan but I was never one to 'make friends' with other kids on the site, i was happy to go along with my parents as well. Think coz I am an only child so i wasnt used to having other kids around all the time!
Quality Inn Plaza , I drive (2009) / Los Angeles, CA (2010) /New york + Villa at Chatham park (2014/15) / Quality Inn on 192 (2015) / Laguna beach (2016) / Flamingo inn ,Daytona beach (2016/17) Houston , Atlanta + Coco key water resort, I drive (2017), Boston (2018), New York City (2018) Washington DC + Clarion Suites Maingate, (2018)Red Lion/ New orleans (Sept 2019) Cabbibean Resort/ Red lion (Jan 2020), Baymont Inn and Suites (Aug 2020)
CarsonMac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rik666 View Post
He won't be on many more with u, so let him throw a few ideas out. As someone said, maybe hit a few cities in USA.
I'd guess you've never cruised.
I cruised with my family as a teen and there was far more to do (and far more freedom for teens) onboard than in a resort.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CarsonMac View Post
I was the same at her age - when i was younger my parents had a tourer caravan but I was never one to 'make friends' with other kids on the site, i was happy to go along with my parents as well. Think coz I am an only child so i wasnt used to having other kids around all the time!
exactly!

I think my son is like this as an only child.

He loves playing online but that allows him to disconnect when he wants, I keep telling him that online disconnects are not the same as real life where you can't just turn off the people or remove the headphones and stop listening.

Sometimes I worry about this but I suppose it's modern age and the time we live in. I have a great relationship with my son and he's very funny and open when I enter his room his friends online say hi and I know most of them.

I think he just misses his bedroom. As an avid cruiser I'm dying to book the next one and we have friends going May next year who are egging me on to book.

But i think you are all right and I should wait and see where he wants to visit for our May vacation...

Old 3 Sep 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Rik666 View Post
Agree. Although the Disney cruises seem quite good but would those appeal to a 14yr old boy?
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List