Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Nov 13, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Travelling around Thailand - where to start?!

Early next year me and df and heading to sydney australia to visit my brother. i have always wanted to visit thailand and last time my mum went she stopped over in bangkok.
we are thinking of flying with thai airlines so we can do the same and have a longer stop-over, maybe a couple of weeks so we can explore, but i have no idea where to start! i want to go further afield than bangkok to some of the beaches, islands, chaing mai to see the elephants! theres lots i want to do but i just have no idea, does anyone know of anything i can read to learn a bit more about it all and how to do it? do people get everything booked before they leave or just do it out there? as you can tell im clueless right now, lol
thanks if anyone can help :-D x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 13, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have been to Thailand a couple of times now, and can answer most questions.

First issue is that Thai Airways are not going to be the cheapest to get your international flights with. You want to make sure that you can do Manchester Bangkok Sydney and return for a reasonable price. I wanted to stop in Bangkok on the way in August and I had to fly with Malaysia Airways and do Melbourne, KL, Bangkok - then Bangkok, KL, Hewathrow, Manchester to be able to afford it. NOT RECOMMENDED!

Always book everything DIY in Asia.

for 2 weeks I'd recommend 3 nights in Bangkok, somewhere near a Sky Train stop, I like Sukhimvit Soi 11, then get the night train to Chiang Mai, 3 nights there, then fly straight from Chiang Mai to Phuket or Koh Samui (choice depends on time of year and better weather).

Its a huge country, two weeks isn't very long, so don't try to fit too much in, get some cheap internal flights to not spend all your time travelling.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.

My first trip we had 2 weeks and did Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket. I have been to Bangkok a few times since though
Old 20 Nov 13, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post

hi mitch thankyou for your reply its really helpful. i have been trying to research as much as possible so im kind of clued-up for when i get there! is there anything you would recommend reading etc? i just dont want to get out there and have no idea haha. is it worth getting a guide book?
Old 20 Nov 13, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Hi - I haven't been to Thailand but we have an office there and there are frequent trips to that part of the world which I organise. Currently we use Thai and Eva air but previously we used a consolidator called Westeasttravel. They can actually get some amazing fares - check them out and good luck!
Old 20 Nov 13, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Buy the Lonely Planet!

The Lonely planet Thorntree forum is good for specific questions too
Old 20 Nov 13, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

I loved Phuket & the phi phi islands are well worth a visit.. 😊
Libby29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 13, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post

thanks everyone, ive looked at the lonely planet book it seems to be the best one so will deffo invest in that been doing lots of reading on their website as well. the thing that confuses me a bit is getting around once were there, am i best booking everything in uk before we leave?
Old 25 Nov 13, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by babygirlviks View Post
thanks everyone, ive looked at the lonely planet book it seems to be the best one so will deffo invest in that been doing lots of reading on their website as well. the thing that confuses me a bit is getting around once were there, am i best booking everything in uk before we leave?
I think you at least need to decide how you want to do it. The night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai can be booked 12 weeks in advance, and I would defo book internal flights in advance, buses or smaller trains not so, but I would always know my method so I know what to do once there.

Seat61 is a fab website for details on non flight alternatives
Old 30 Nov 13, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pezilla
Serious Dibber

flights are easy to book when you are there you will find that locals will go out there way to be helpful. you can also book the ferry once your in phuket to travel to the other side of the islands and to the small islands.
other half went twice last year and i away with him in april for the thai new year . i've got very good at getting him around the country when hes gotten stranded places.
Old 4 Dec 13, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Whilst flights are easy to book whilst there, 2 weeks is not long in a country so big and I would be getting as much as poss arranged before hand