Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jul 12, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
elly641
Getting Excited

Southern States Road Trip

Hi, we are planning a Southern State roadtrip next year and would be grateful for some advice on hotels that are reasonably priced and in a good location, looking for Atlanta, Montgomery, Jackson, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville etc. Looking at either Mobile or Pensacola too, does anyone have any advice or tips for these areas or this road trip. It's still in the very early planning stages x
elly641 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 12, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
toffeeman0
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by elly641 View Post
Hi, we are planning a Southern State roadtrip next year and would be grateful for some advice on hotels that are reasonably priced and in a good location, looking for Atlanta, Montgomery, Jackson, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville etc. Looking at either Mobile or Pensacola too, does anyone have any advice or tips for these areas or this road trip. It's still in the very early planning stages x
Hi, We did a road trip some 10 years ago Nashville, Memphis, Clarkesdale, Natchez, New Orleans and Chattanooga., We never booked ahead for hotels just pulled into the tourist information office on arrival and they would have some great walk up rates for some of the best hotels in the town. In Memphis for instance we got a huge corner room overlooking the Mississippi for under $50.They only pre booking i would advise is your arrival day and New Orleans as you really need to get somewhere inside the French Quarter for safety reasons. The one place i would strongly recommend staying is Natchez its stunning.
Old 6 Aug 12, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post

If you can get the Sleep Inn at Court Square in Memphis for a decent price go for it, nice Downtown location or alternatively do as we did and stay in East Memphis just off the Interstate and pay $39 for a Red Roof Inn and drive the 15-20 minutes into Memphis. Memphis is a bit of a dump if truth be told.

We stayed in the Comfort Inn on Demonbruan Street in Nashville. Free breakfast. 20-25minute walk to Downtown Nashville.

In Atlanta, go with Hotwire. We paid $55 for the Hilton Atlanta which was in Downtown and walkable to everything in that area. It was also a few minutes walk to the MARTA station which can take you to Midtown and Buckhead in no time at all.. Parking would be extra obviously if you have a car.

Take a look at Bookit.com for New Orleans. We paid $69 for the Crowne Plaza just around the corner from Bourbon Street but not sure on parking.

Good luck with the planning, sounds like a good trip
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 12, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
elly641
Getting Excited

thank you so much for your help guys. We have had to tweak our trip as the Virgin sale came on the day before we were ready to book and as I got the flights with our airmiles saved us £800 so we are now starting in Orlando and driving to Memphis so Atlanta, Nashville and N'awlins have had to be left out this time. I could only get the flights for 14 days but maybe next time without kids, we will do the extended version.

Thanks again for your advice. xx
elly641 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 12, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

hi we did a trip similar to this we flew into orlando(1 night) then went to savannagh, chattanooga, nashville, memphis and stopped off on the way back to orlando where we stayed for 3 nights it was a brilliant trip they are so friendly up that way. we booked all of our hotels before we went
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 12, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
damaged
Apprentice Imagineer

We're doing a similar trip for our honeymoon but haven't pre booked all our hotels but I have used airbnb and can't recommend it enough
Upcoming: Feb 24' - Hubby's 40th
damaged is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 12, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cricket50
Proud to wear my Ears

Southern States - Road Trip

My wife and I are going on a road trip commencing early September 2012.
We fly into Atlanta on the Saturday then drive to Oxford AL, for our first night, on our way to Memphis. We then have two nights at the Days Inn at Gracelands. From there we journey to Clarkesdale where we are staying at The Shackup Inn for one night. Then we drive down to New Orleans for two nights in the Country Inns and Suites. From there we drive to Panama City Beach for seven nights. We finish the holiday with two nights in the Marriott at Stone Mountain.

For information here are the costs for the two of us for the holiday. I hope it helps people making plans

Return flights to Atlanta - Delta £490.00 each
Carhire - Netflights Large Car £345.00
1 night Fairfield Inns £ 39.00
2 nights Gracelands - Days Inn £52.00 per night
1 night Clarkesdale - Shack UP Inn £50.00
2 nights New Orleans - Country Inn £51.00 per night
7 nights Panama City Beach - Timeshare £130.00
2 nights StoneMountain £100.00 per night

I hope the above is of interest. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Peter

Edited at 12:58 PM. Reason: put clarkesville in stead of clarkesdale
cricket50 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 12, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
elly641
Getting Excited

thanks Peter, those are good prices, especially your flight.

At the moment, we are flying from MAN to MCO on 14 May

14 May 2 nights Orlando
16 May 1 night Tallahassee, FL
17 May 1 night Montgomery, AL
18 May 2 nights Memphis, TN
20 May 1 night Nashville, TN
21 May 1 night Chattanooga, TN

This is as far as we have got so far but getting excited now. Can't wait to read your trippies Peter and your tips for sight seeing when you get back xx
Old 12 Aug 12, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread