Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 17, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
That is absolutely not OK and my understanding is that pupils who are being home schooled are still subject to inspections from the local authority (no doubt not as often as needed).

However, two wrongs don't make a right.
No they don't but it's double standards

They are notified of a upcoming check but mostly postpone so it rarely
Happens and clearly when a check does actually happen they aren't bothered she's so far behind .

Yet take a child out of school one that's doing well and all hell breaks out ..
daytonababe is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
How does attendance work then when teachers on strike or when they don't turn up for classes. Do they get regulated.
Yes, if teachers strike they don't get paid for any day they strike.
If they 'don't turn up' (I don't quite understand this, I've never known it happen) then if they are ill they get SSP and over a certain number of days have to get a doctor's note - just like everyone else.

Originally Posted by Rossmasa View Post
Now they have ruled, Time for the Government to Take airlines and Holiday Companies/operators to task and sort out the disparity between the cost of a holiday during school holidays and not.

I know a lot of people will say we have no right to a holiday and it’s a supply and demand business, but it should be a lot fairer, why should families with children of School age be held to ransom during these periods? and basically subsidise those fortunate enough to be able to Holiday when they like and take advantage of when the costs are cheaper.

The costs are negligible between flying a plane that is full to one that is empty, the hotel running costs don’t change that much either when It’s full or empty, if anything when its full it should be more economic as you have more guests contributing towards the costs.
If this happened then all holiday prices would go up - term time holidays are discounted, school holiday prices are the market cost.

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
The bottom line is that if there were not rules around education being compulsury then there would be a significant number of children who would not receive the education they need. This could be because the parents need the children to be at work to look after a relative or to work in order to support the family. It may be because the child refuses to go and the parents back them up in that decision because thats the easy way out.

Either way not to give a child an education is child cruelty.
Absolutely

Originally Posted by Stitchfan626 View Post
I agree! I think its ridiculous that I could decide to home school my DS with no checks or balances in place, and yet if you take your child out of school for a few days its a criminal offence.
As another poster has said, local authorities monitor home schooling and it is subject to Ofsted scrutiny.
However, I will admit that most home schooled students I encounter in FE and HE have very few social skills and struggle to 'fit in' to a formal education system
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Are wishes trips exempt? I would hope so!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
it is the lack of consistency that annoys me , why is it just English schools that it applies to ? Though saying that I work for a private school that has longer holidays anyway but they are still allowed up to ten days authorised absence for holidays within term time too.
That's not correct either, whilst it might be your schools rules (which of course should be abided by) a truly independent school is not covered by the term time absence ruling and so it is an agreement between the school and the parents.

The school will always (almost at least) back down as the parent would otherwise take their cash elsewhere and at an average of 4.5k per term for a "bog-standard" Indy school they'd rather have the cash than the attendance
Old 6 Apr 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by PaulaEssex View Post
Are wishes trips exempt? I would hope so!
Not explicitly but they would come under the "except in exceptional cases" category I would hope
Old 6 Apr 17, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Most travel operators make a loss between October and June every year (with noticeable exceptions for school holidays)

They do offer great deals off season to get people to travel as their standing costs are the same whether the plane is flying or not so they may as well earn something.

Planes exist all year round, as do hotel rooms and so does the need for airline staff to get paid

If they increased the price of the term time hols people would just choose to travel in the school hols as there is no benefit

If they reduced school hol prices to the prices of off peak travel then no airline would exist after about a year

There are a few key phrases here

Supply and demand
Disney Holidays aren't a right
Luxury trip
Old 6 Apr 17, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I'm glad the ruling went that way. It was the only way it was going to go Now we know reasonable attendance is every possible day, and can follow the rules accordingly. Or not... a fine of £60 per kid per parent is not huge in the scheme of things.

(There is one way to stop the term time Florida hols ... a percentage reduction on UCAS points for unauthorised absence at school. )
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes me too. Imagine fining a parent for that trip!
Old 6 Apr 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Disney Holidays aren't a right
Luxury trip
Its not just florida holidays that cost a fortune in the holidays even uk breaks can be too expensive for some families should children be deprived of a holiday/quality family time all together just because their parent/parents have low incomes?
Yes education is important and should be a priority but its not the only thing that matters in a childs overall welfare.
Its easy for people with money to say what other people should do when they don't have to live it.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 17, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Doesn't matter the outcome i will continue to request holidays for my kids which thankfully so far have been authorised. If not i will pay the fines.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread