Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Dec 16, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Rincelex
Apprentice Imagineer

Vodafone - just received this

I have just received a newsletter type thing from Vodafone headed up 'Your bigger and better network'. For the first time in 20 years I have been considering leaving Vodafone because of the poor coverage.

I have never had any issues with reception using Vodafone, even when on holiday in the depths of Wales and my husband couldn't get a signal on his O2 I got one on Vodafone. I bought a new phone last year and had nothing but problems with reception, mainly the fact that I would be half way through a call and lose reception, when I explained this to the man in the shop he said reception doesn't move when you have got it you have got it, well I would like him to come and prove that in my house. The only place for a decent call is either in the very corner of the dining room as close as you can get to being outside without being outside and the guest room upstairs but only by one of the windows not the other one. This still doesn't guarantee that you will get a whole phone call, consequently I can't use the phone for work in the house as it keeps losing the calls and then there is no reception.

There are also quite a few areas in the village where there appears to be no signal at all, but according to their maps online we have 'good' coverage.

So when I got this email this morning saying that 90% of the UK is now 4g covered I laughed and laughed. I can just about get basic let alone anything else. They then go on to say about nominating a rural location to get enhanced signal so I thought great I'll nominate myself but you can only nominate rural pubs. I did consider nominating the pub at the top of my road then at least there is somewhere to go for a phone call.

The problem is at the end of the day how do you know who gives the best coverage until you have a phone and try it and then its too late!
Rincelex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Locally until a month ago Vodaphone had little coverage for us. However a new mast has changed all that and now they have a very strong signal. I'm presuming that their 90% is based on 90% of peope and not landmass.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have to have a Vodafone Suresignal in our house or there's no signal whatsoever! The stuff they spout is laughable. I'm not even in the middle of nowhere!

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

its 90% of the population not land area

where i used to live there was a really bad 02 coverage, we had 02 for work phones

a meeting was held with 02 in attendance, they suggested putting up a new mast and everyone started complaining , not round here etc etc

the same people who where at the meeting about no coverage
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rincelex View Post
I have just received a newsletter type thing from Vodafone headed up 'Your bigger and better network'. For the first time in 20 years I have been considering leaving Vodafone because of the poor coverage.

I have never had any issues with reception using Vodafone, even when on holiday in the depths of Wales and my husband couldn't get a signal on his O2 I got one on Vodafone. I bought a new phone last year and had nothing but problems with reception, mainly the fact that I would be half way through a call and lose reception, when I explained this to the man in the shop he said reception doesn't move when you have got it you have got it, well I would like him to come and prove that in my house. The only place for a decent call is either in the very corner of the dining room as close as you can get to being outside without being outside and the guest room upstairs but only by one of the windows not the other one. This still doesn't guarantee that you will get a whole phone call, consequently I can't use the phone for work in the house as it keeps losing the calls and then there is no reception.

There are also quite a few areas in the village where there appears to be no signal at all, but according to their maps online we have 'good' coverage.

So when I got this email this morning saying that 90% of the UK is now 4g covered I laughed and laughed. I can just about get basic let alone anything else. They then go on to say about nominating a rural location to get enhanced signal so I thought great I'll nominate myself but you can only nominate rural pubs. I did consider nominating the pub at the top of my road then at least there is somewhere to go for a phone call.

The problem is at the end of the day how do you know who gives the best coverage until you have a phone and try it and then its too late!
Daft question but if the problems started with your new phone isn't it more likely it's the phone at fault? Remember the iPhone 4 - "You're holding it wrong..."!

All the major providers have coverage maps you can check for your important areas or you could use opensignal/
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishlass89
Very Serious Dibber

I left Vodafone for three a few months ago and haven't looked back. One thing I found... interesting is my data usage. On Vodafone I was often going over my 4gb allowance so when I switched I took threes 30gb for the price of 8 and only use just over 1gb a month now despite using my phone more than I did with Vodafone.
scottishlass89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
Daft question but if the problems started with your new phone isn't it more likely it's the phone at fault? Remember the iPhone 4 - "You're holding it wrong..."!

All the major providers have coverage maps you can check for your important areas or you could use opensignal/
Lol. My house hasn't any signal for anything at all on opensignal.com

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My road dips down into a hollow and the University is very close. The only time I can get a signal with EE is when the Students aren't there!

They must be using all the availability

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 16, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Whitequeen View Post
Lol. My house hasn't any signal for anything at all on opensignal.com
If it's just blank (rather than red) it just means they have no data for that area - you're better off switching to the provider's maps.